Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] CPAP Quit while Sleeping
Gross 
I woke up suddenly struggling for air !

After ripping the mask from my face for air and taking a breath I calmed down a little. I had my first power outage when using CPAP.

I put my mask back on without the machine on. I could breath but it was restricted. If I had stayed asleep with a relaxed breathing rate I would have been ok. Oh-jeez

Maybe next time it happens I will react less.Dont-know

Any stories about your reactions the first time ?Thanks
Just my personal opinion. My posts are not medical advice or a statement of fact. Please consult a qualified physician or other qualified medical personnel. Please comply with all applicable laws, codes, regulations, and protocols.
Post Reply Post Reply
I see you inject O2 into the CPAP flow. Do you use a concentrator?
Most concentrators have power fail alarms that are quite loud.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
This happen to me back in March, I found it a bit unnerving but got some good advice through the forum. See thread:

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-Power-Failure

(08-20-2016, 01:11 PM)kwhenrykerr Wrote: I woke up suddenly struggling for air !

After ripping the mask from my face for air and taking a breath I calmed down a little. I had my first power outage when using CPAP.

I put my mask back on without the machine on. I could breath but it was restricted. If I had stayed asleep with a relaxed breathing rate I would have been ok. Oh-jeez

Maybe next time it happens I will react less.Dont-know

Any stories about your reactions the first time ?Thanks

I bought an APC battery backup with an alarm. It wakes me up if there is a power failure and give me about an hour of power, a little more if I turn off the humidifier. I haven't had another power failure but it set my mind at ease.
2004-Bon Jovi
it'll take more than a doctor to prescribe a remedy

Observations and recommendations communicated here are the perceptions of the writer and should not be misconstrued as medical advice.
Post Reply Post Reply

(08-20-2016, 01:29 PM)justMongo Wrote: I see you inject O2 into the CPAP flow. Do you use a concentrator?
Most concentrators have power fail alarms that are quite loud.

Yes I use a concentrator. With your question I went and tested it. No Alarm.

Thanks for the question, now I am less dumb...Laugh-a-lot

I did move a APC to the CPAP that has a weak sounding alarm. I do not use the humidifier where I am at it is moist all the time. Last winter I might have used one but did not have that option.
ThanksSleep-well
Just my personal opinion. My posts are not medical advice or a statement of fact. Please consult a qualified physician or other qualified medical personnel. Please comply with all applicable laws, codes, regulations, and protocols.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Taking mask off at night while sleeping doctor perscribed Nuvigil nap80 12 1,003 02-21-2017, 08:09 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  [Treatment] New to the board, having trouble sleeping LittleLuLu 18 613 01-29-2017, 11:54 AM
Last Post: LittleLuLu
  sleeping pills for insomnia? EssienM 12 473 01-27-2017, 04:00 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  Using humidified CPAP for other than sleeping...? S.L. Ping Beauty 11 503 01-10-2017, 11:15 PM
Last Post: Galactus
Brick [Equipment] ResMed 10 just quit working mid nap!! Anyone had this happen? Please any help,apprec! Ulong 8 441 01-03-2017, 11:01 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Video camera to record sleeping RichardVT 7 443 12-17-2016, 05:11 PM
Last Post: RichardVT
  [Equipment] ResMed Airsense 10 Quit Working SherrieR 4 502 11-26-2016, 07:51 PM
Last Post: trish6hundred