Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] CPAP cleaner recommendation
RE: CPAP cleaner recommendation
I do, once in a while.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
I have hauled some form of PAP all over the globe since 1994. Hauling the PAP through airports is enough of a pain, why would anyone want the hassle of any bag of gear to explain? Keeping my mask and hoses clean has never a burden. By clean, as noted by many, a simple but thorough rinse in regular warm tap water if you are tight on time or facilities. Every second or third time add some soap of any kind to remove any oil buildup.
It’s just part of the routine. I find the first couple of sleeps after cleaning seem to feel better.
You also get an opportunity to inspect your mask and hose for any wear or deterioration. The manufacturers recommend we replace masks every three months, so they are not making them to last as long as we would like. Resmed warranties masks, hoses and water chambers for 90 days. 

Resmed does not warranty any of their products damaged from use with ozone, activated oxygen or other gases as of February 1, 2020. This seems nicely timed with the increasing popularity of these mechanical equipment cleaners. “Buyer beware”. https://support.resmed.com/en-us/support...-products/

Don
Post Reply Post Reply
Regarding Ozone [trioxygen, O3, activated Oxygen] sanitizing devices:

Ozone is incompatible with many materials and will damage them. CPAP manufactures advice against them and damage from them can void your warranty.

Ozone is dangerous. Using it in concentrations sufficient enough enough to sanitise is dangerous humans and pets in the environment. Don't believe claims that units are sealed and ozone dissipates in 15 minutes.  You simply can't keep blowing ozone into a container without it seeping out, and the half live of Ozone outside of water, is measured in hours.
Post Reply Post Reply
I use a few drops of baby shampoo in a sink full of warm water.

When in a hurry, I just put a drop or two on my clean hands and clean the surfaces of my face mask with warm water.

Nothing other than the mask ever comes into contact with anything other than filtered air and distilled water vapor. The air coming out of your CPAP machine is cleaner than ambient air.
Sleep is worth the effort.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-18-2021, 02:51 PM)Dog Slobber Wrote: Regarding Ozone [trioxygen, O3, activated Oxygen] sanitizing devices:

Ozone is incompatible with many materials and will damage them. CPAP manufactures advice against them and damage from them can void your warranty.

Ozone is dangerous. Using it in concentrations sufficient enough enough to sanitise is dangerous humans and pets in the environment. Don't believe claims that units are sealed and ozone dissipates in 15 minutes.  You simply can't keep blowing ozone into a container without it seeping out, and the half live of Ozone outside of water, is measured in hours.

I do not recommend any of the ozone machines.  Actually, I don't recommend any of the cleaning machines.

I also do not recommend breathing ozone if you can avoid it.

However, I doubt any of the machines are dangerous to humans under normal usage conditions.  They might be hazardous to your CPAP machine.   They usually have an enclosure of some kind and only put ozone inside the enclosures.  Unless you figure out how to use the machine while the cleaner is on or crawl into the bag, you shouldn't be exposed to enough ozone to matter.   

I would recommend to let the machine run for 30 seconds or so without putting on the mask after you remove it from the cleaner.

They might leak some ozone, which will fairly rapidly dissipate and then break down.   They probably don't produce ozone rapidly enough to make the room hazardous unless you and the machine are in a closet or something.  For most of us, we'll probably not even be in the room when the cleaner is running.

It MIGHT be a problem if you slept next to the machine while it's running, but probably not even then.  

Some of the machines attempt to destroy the ozone at the end of the cycle.   I wouldn't expect there to be enough ozone in the small volume of air to cause any problems when it escapes into the room, any way.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Pressure] Request Recommendation for a Dial Manometer Samwrites 4 120 03-24-2024, 09:59 AM
Last Post: Sleepster
  VirtuClean CPAP Ozone Cleaner moondoggy 16 4,536 03-08-2024, 10:11 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  [Equipment] BiPAP Replacement Recommendation Prowler 1 265 01-28-2024, 09:21 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Auto Titrating Machine Recommendation REM dominated OA BoxcarPete 21 1,340 11-20-2023, 03:40 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  [Treatment] LF Oral Surgeon recommendation in DMV area for MMA SleepWhenImDead 1 1,084 11-16-2023, 01:05 PM
Last Post: isabelle315
  Full Face Mask Recommendation? Dan8585 4 894 10-12-2023, 03:33 PM
Last Post: NightyTighty
  RECOMMENDATION REQUESTED - LIGHT THERAPY srlevine1 0 354 07-23-2023, 11:17 AM
Last Post: srlevine1

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.