Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] CPAP machine quit.
CPAP machine quit.
My wife has a Remstar Plus and it has stopped working. It states service required and card data usage do not remove card. Does anyone know how I can get it to come back on without taking it for service right now.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: CPAP machine quit.
Go here for the error code
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...rror_codes

or here for the smart card error code
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...rror_codes

Hopefully that will help you figure out what the problem is.

Please let us know what you find out!
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(05-15-2012, 08:47 PM)pyrosnuffer Wrote: My wife has a Remstar Plus and it has stopped working. It states service required and card data usage do not remove card. Does anyone know how I can get it to come back on without taking it for service right now.

Howdy, Pyro... welcome to Apnea Board! Smile

What series of RemStar Plus is it, exactly? There's three separate series types for the REMstar Plus, as indicated in this picture:

[Image: which-remstar.jpg]

Also, there should be a specific error message or error code on the screen... can you tell us what it is?

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Try removing the card and if see it works without the card
If its ancient machine probably cheaper to buy newer gently used (low hours) data capable machine (not Plus) from Supplier #2

Post Reply Post Reply
Heh, I nearly had heart failure about 3 weeks ago when we had a sort of a power failure/brownout. Never seen anything like it, really - the power went...away. Not off - lights didn't go right off, but I use almost exclusively compact fluorescents, so they stay pretty bight with very little power, right until they go completely off - but there were things like I couldn't turn off my TV because there wasn't enough power for the power button to react...screen was off, but you could hear it trying to start, die, start, etc. Call to the electric company indicated a raccoon took out a transformer, should be a fast repair, so I didn't bother setting up the generator. After an hour or so we decided to go to bed, and I was just going to read until the lights came on... took one look at my S9... it was power cycling over and over, and, like some other things, trying to turn it off wasn't going to happen. So I unplugged the power from the back of it. No big deal. An hour later the power came back, I plugged it back in, and... nothing. Unplugged, turned it around, replugged...nothing. OH CRAP... pulled out the nightstand it was on... and started to breath again... When I unplugged it I tugged the other cord out of the back end of the power pack. :-)
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-15-2012, 08:47 PM)pyrosnuffer Wrote: My wife has a Remstar Plus and it has stopped working. It states service required and card data usage do not remove card. Does anyone know how I can get it to come back on without taking it for service right now.

Serviced required means it needs to be sent for Respironics for repair. If it is a pre-2007 Remstar, Respironics is no longer repairing those and you must either contact your DME for a new one, or wherever you would like to purchase your unit. If it is one of the System One Remstars, I would call whoever sold it to you to see if it is still under warranty.
Post Reply Post Reply
I was having the "service required" message with no water leaks or falls. Like others on the forum I tried to reset the machine, pull the card etc, but nothing helped. I finally tried pulling the power cord, not where the cord enters the machines, but the bridge cord from the humidifier to the cpap, and so far it is working. I hope that helps any one who is having the same issue.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi - i have 2 REmstar M series machines. Was traveling in Indonesia and suddenly the blue lights in the machine started blinking and it would suddenly stop but would go on again after about 3-5 minutes. I had a spare and had someone bring me the 2nd one and the 2nd one suddenly started doing the same thing! I haven't had the chance to have it repaired yet but has this happened to anyone else? Fortunately i had purchased an S9 machine about 6 months ago and started using this one. I liked those M series machines which is why i had two of them but first the humidifier of one broken down and could not be repaired here in asia. So i used the newer humidifier with both the machines until this weird blinking and shutting off thing happened. I will get the machines back from Indonesia in about 2 months and will try to bring it in for repair.
Post Reply Post Reply
If both of them went at the same time and had the same reaction, my first thought would be a power issue. As in the power from the outlet was too much, not enough, or fluctuating too much.

Did you use the same cord or did they each have one? If the same cord, could be that.

Was anything else working in that outlet? Anything electronic like a laptop?

Remstar machines typically have some sort of error code that shows on the screen. You didn't get one?
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Just to add to Paula's reply...

If you're in an area where electrical voltages fluctuate or have spikes/surges a lot, or even if not, it's always best to use a quality surge protector with your CPAP. Cheap insurance.

Regarding your issue, I've had my newer CPAP act in a similar way when the voltage was not up to the "normal" level.

Also, might want to check and see if you have the same issue with the humidifier detached. Might be the humidifier causing a voltage drop. Any electrical appliance that heats up something is always going to have a huge draw.

Grin
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Feel like my CPAP machine is killing me jimbob123 1 93 03-27-2024, 05:42 AM
Last Post: Rich66
  Need help new on CPAP machine Jimasripper 10 310 03-22-2024, 03:08 PM
Last Post: Jimasripper
  Ready to buy CPAP machine NewlyDiagnosed 29 630 03-21-2024, 01:42 PM
Last Post: NewlyDiagnosed
  UARS diagnosis? No improvements on CPAP. What Bilevel machine to get and where? empiricismandstatistics 8 200 03-21-2024, 04:29 AM
Last Post: empiricismandstatistics
  Is a travel CPAP machine worth it? BobbieM 21 5,745 03-14-2024, 01:55 PM
Last Post: tommystix
  New to CPAP- Need advice on purchasing a machine JuanSiesta 4 369 02-14-2024, 09:31 PM
Last Post: JuanSiesta
  [CPAP] Newby not sure if CPAP is the right machine for me tcinoz 24 1,294 02-13-2024, 08:13 PM
Last Post: tcinoz

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.