Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Humidifier not working?
Humidifier not working?
I'm waking up with dry mouth & sometimes bloody nose the past few days.

I've turned up the humidifier (was on autoset) and it is now far past where previously all water would have been used up & I'd be rained out. However, barely any water is getting used. What is going on? Any ideas? I've been using it for 6 months and never had any issues like this before.

TIA!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Humidifier not working?
Keep in mind that the amount of water used depends upon room temperature and the relative humidity of the room air.

With that in mind, it is possible that the unit is defective. Did you obtain it from a local dispenser of Durable Medical Equipment?
The unit should be under warranty; and, if defective, they should replace it.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
As far as I know, the humidifier in this unit is extremely simple - it literally heats up the water via the metal heating element, which increases the vapor pressure of the water, and the water vapor is swept into the flowing stream of air. Thus, it seems the only thing that could go wrong would be failure of the heating element. That said, when you turn off the machine in the morning, immediately check if there is residual heat in the metal heating elements in the machine itself and on the bottom of the chamber. It should not be hot enough to burn you, but be careful anyway. If it is cool to the touch or just barely warm, then there is something wrong with it.
Post Reply Post Reply
Possum and rhomanji,

You need to go the other way around. It can easily be that no humidification is needed in the morning so the heater might be cold even though it is working fine.

After the machine has been off for at least an hour or two. Turn on the humidifier pre-heat option and let it run for 5-10 minutes. Shut down. Remove tank and carefully feel the plate. Should feel warm to hot.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-07-2016, 02:36 PM)PaytonA Wrote: Possum and rhomanji,

You need to go the other way around. It can easily be that no humidification is needed in the morning so the heater might be cold even though it is working fine.

After the machine has been off for at least an hour or two. Turn on the humidifier pre-heat option and let it run for 5-10 minutes. Shut down. Remove tank and carefully feel the plate. Should feel warm to hot.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Every morning when I wake up and immediately dump the residual water, the plate is still hot, which is why I recommended that; however, I suppose you're right that may not always be the case, thus checking after a warm-up would be the better option.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi rhomanji,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Much success to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for your suggestions. I did get it from a local distributor after going though all of the hospital overnights and insurance and blah blah blah.

I filled up the room humidifier to see if that would help after the suggestion about relative humidity, power cycled by unplugging from the back, and dumped my water & cleaned and put in all fresh. Working better the past couple nights, but I still feel like I need more. I had it back on auto again, not wanting to get rained out if that all worked, so I may just try setting a number tonight instead of auto.

How does the heat in the tube effect the humidify? If I turn the heat up/down will it help with my morning dry mouth issues? qould messing with the temp in the tube be necessary to fix this issue as well?
Post Reply Post Reply
The tube temperature just prevents condensation between the humidifier and mask. The more humidity you run, the higher the tube temperature needs to be. Think about it. Water condenses as it cools or contacts a cooler surface. The more moisture the air is holding, the higher the "dew point".
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-07-2016, 01:09 PM)Possum Wrote: As far as I know, the humidifier in this unit is extremely simple - it literally heats up the water via the metal heating element, which increases the vapor pressure of the water, and the water vapor is swept into the flowing stream of air. Thus, it seems the only thing that could go wrong would be failure of the heating element. That said, when you turn off the machine in the morning, immediately check if there is residual heat in the metal heating elements in the machine itself and on the bottom of the chamber. It should not be hot enough to burn you, but be careful anyway. If it is cool to the touch or just barely warm, then there is something wrong with it.

I had an HC150 from a previous machine that held up well and works great but the one on my Respironics M series died and was not covered by warranty, the light worked as though it was on but the heating plate was not hot to the touch. Careful if you test that theory. The replacement for my machine humidifier was as much as a new machine so I go one and just use my old HC150, but I have found that a Honeywell whole room COLD air humidifier works 100% better. I still get the dry mouth but my sinuses are doing much better. I found with the heated air my sinuses swelled and it was harder to breath out.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is my Philips Remstar Pro System One working? alanbc 11 317 03-13-2024, 11:41 AM
Last Post: alanbc
  25 years of cpap, and still not working good Johan van der veen 2 142 03-08-2024, 10:15 AM
Last Post: Johan van der veen
  Humidifier Chamber Leaks - Resmed 10 Old Mike 20 699 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  [CPAP] Dry mouth despite humidifier and full face mask Tactful3149 2 417 02-13-2024, 03:25 PM
Last Post: Tactful3149
  AirSense 10 heating & humidifier issue Wingnut Warrior 2 330 02-08-2024, 11:13 PM
Last Post: Wingnut Warrior
Question SD Formatting and OSCAR not working smallhandsfeeding 2 192 02-02-2024, 03:24 PM
Last Post: smallhandsfeeding
  [Equipment] 12 months of therapy. Tried several masks/nothing working Tiredkiwi 5 478 12-30-2023, 11:15 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.