Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] CPAP supplies
CPAP supplies
Hi Everyone,

I am new to cpap but I have a general question. Do we really need to replace cpap supplies like suppliers recommend as often as they do. In my opinion I don't think we do. I can understand the cushions or pillows or keeping backup supplies onhand but the other things seem overdone. Thats my take on this. what have others found and I would appreciate your thought. Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: CPAP supplies
I started CPAP Therapy in early Sept. of 2018. I'm still using the same heated hose and water reservoir that came with my machine. I started out using a ResMed AirFit F20 mask. Eventually I tried an F30. 

I quit my therapy a good 8 months or so ago. My machine is still set up and ready to use if I feel any need to start again. My DME keeps sending me supplies and I have a ton of it. I have about 12 hoses, and 3-4 reservoirs, as well as masks and headgear. I have enough air filters to last me almost forever. 

But yes, the supplies last a whole lot longer than what a DME supplier would have you to believe.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi, bedtimebob  With Medicare, the DME asks you if the part needs replacing, i.e., is it torn, discolored, stretched, etc.  That implies that the schedule is the maximum frequency that is reimbursable rather a mandate.
Post Reply Post Reply
Generally you can go longer than the Mfg/DME recommendations. Years ago when I bought my own supplies I could go a few years between masks and hoses and a year, or more, between cushions. When I started CPAP machines didn't come with humidifiers and you needed a prescription to get one. But then again, you could buy masks without a prescription. Right or wrong, I figured the less washing the longer things would last.

The only exception are filters. It's like an HVAC system, a clogged filter just taxes the machine. I don't use a filter to clean the same air I normally breathe without the machine, I use a filter so the machine will last as long as possible.

Everyone is different and you need to figure out what works best for you. For years I used eBay for mask parts, but now I'm on Medicare and that is one less worry. I still use eBay for replacement headgear and QuietAir elbows, that no longer last indefinitely like the noisy ones did.

John
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-04-2022, 05:41 PM)Big Guy Wrote: I started CPAP Therapy in early Sept. of 2018. I'm still using the same heated hose and water reservoir that came with my machine. I started out using a ResMed AirFit F20 mask. Eventually I tried an F30. 

I quit my therapy a good 8 months or so ago. My machine is still set up and ready to use if I feel any need to start again. My DME keeps sending me supplies and I have a ton of it. I have about 12 hoses, and 3-4 reservoirs, as well as masks and headgear. I have enough air filters to last me almost forever. 

But yes, the supplies last a whole lot longer than what a DME supplier would have you to believe.

Thanks for the info. I figured stuff would last longer than what they want you to believe.  I might order a few extra items just to have them on hand like a hose and mask. I have filters. I can't believe they keep sending you stuff. Mine is setup that I can order things and if not I don't. Plus my insurance won't cover items if I don't go by there schedule.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Medicare Providers for Airmini Supplies knitsafghans 4 149 03-15-2024, 11:07 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Changing CPAP Machine & DME/Insurance & Supplies StratCat48 3 274 02-10-2024, 06:19 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Medicare & Re-Ordering Supplies oneeyeopen 12 871 02-07-2024, 08:10 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Equipment] Beginner Must Have Equipment/Supplies PoutinePrincess 7 375 02-07-2024, 03:10 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Extra Supplies Columbiabill 2 389 12-28-2023, 03:15 AM
Last Post: srlevine1
Wink CPAP machine and supplies? Insurance or not? Fatheaded 13 1,575 11-26-2023, 05:50 PM
Last Post: RedNailz
  Where to send unused/unopened CPAP supplies? highrateleaker 1 523 11-25-2023, 03:56 PM
Last Post: OpalRose

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.