Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] CPAP to ASV changeover
Question 
CPAP to ASV changeover
Hi,

I’m a new member. I recently finished my third sleep study and am have been ordered an ASV machine for Central Apnea.I am currently on CPAP. Has anyone made this change? If so, can you tell me if it was an easy transition or any difficulties you faced and how you remedied them?

I am glad to be here and hope to learn from everyone.

Thanks

catt
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: CPAP to ASV changeover
for the first few nights until you get used to it, the asv will occasionally feel like pressure is too high as it nudges us to breathe when we don't spontaneously do so (central apnea). when this happens, forcefully blow back into the mask to make the machine reduce flow. once taking a breath in response to the machine 'nudge' becomes second nature, you won't notice it anymore.
Post Reply Post Reply
I made that transition last August after my third sleep study.  I was so excited to get on the ASV.  But my initial few nights were a mess.  The wonderful folks on this forum reviewed my OSCAR data and recommended changes to my pressure settings.  My last 90 day AHI=0.28.  Most of those events were clusters of hypos, likely my chin slipping behind my soft cervical collar.  I have many nights of zero AHI.  Sometimes my flow trace shows a lot of activity by the ASV to make me breathe before I have a score-able event.  The ASV is fantastic and you are going to love it.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the circus.

PAP to ASV isn't too bad of a transition. Blowback was mentioned, but it should be OK. My ASV did fine when it was the right device. It's not too hard to setup and then you'll sail pretty well from then on. Some CPAP settings can be copy/paste to ASV and otherwise it'll be a small amount of trial and error. Get your copy of OSCAR and you'll be able to get a visual on your therapy, in fact in more detail than most Dr. McQuacks dare to dream with. They are mainly concerned with compliance and their boat payments.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Dave for the welcome and helpful info.

catt

Thank you for the help! I had never heard of OSCAR until I came to this site. I will definitely look into it.

catt
Post Reply Post Reply
You're welcome,

There's virtual coffee if you want to risk trying it. And we do talk coffee a lot on Apnea Board while trying to figure out why sleep is elusive.

lots-o-coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
That is good to know! I get my ASV next week so will try this. Thanks! catt
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Sleepless.love the name  Sleep-well

Thanks Shadowpup!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Changeover from full face to nasal mask Phill 11 3,549 12-31-2015, 02:51 PM
Last Post: ginzo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.