Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model:
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 16/13 cm/h2o
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments:

Sex: Male
Question CPAP vs BPAP
Folks; I have been on a BPAP machine for three years and the motor is going out. My current HMO will only cover 50o/o of the monthly rental (my cost $30). I refuse to get caught up in the rental game like I did when I was a newbie and got suckerd for $35 month for 10 months five years ago. I could have bought a machine. So I found a near new ResMed S9 and it is a CPAP (Will not change to Auto or BPAP). If I set it to my current pressure will it work for me or is there really that much difference between the machines. I just got the manual to configure it so I have not used it yet. I could make a few bucks selling this machine and keep looking for a BPAP if need be. Appreciate all your help. Thanks Jerry
Sleep-well
04-23-2012 04:34 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
greatunclebill Offline

Members-b

Machine: Respironics System one Auto A-Flex
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model:
Humidifier: System one
CPAP Pressure: 8-12
CPAP Software: SleepyHead EncoreViewer

Other Comments: quattro fx full face

RE: CPAP vs BPAP
(04-23-2012 04:34 PM)ITShortBus Wrote:  Folks; I have been on a BPAP machine for three years and the motor is going out. My current HMO will only cover 50o/o of the monthly rental (my cost $30). I refuse to get caught up in the rental game like I did when I was a newbie and got suckerd for $35 month for 10 months five years ago. I could have bought a machine. So I found a near new ResMed S9 and it is a CPAP (Will not change to Auto or BPAP). If I set it to my current pressure will it work for me or is there really that much difference between the machines. I just got the manual to configure it so I have not used it yet. I could make a few bucks selling this machine and keep looking for a BPAP if need be. Appreciate all your help. Thanks Jerry
Sleep-well

welcome to the forum.

3 words for you: SEE YOUR DOCTOR.
04-23-2012 04:44 PM
SuperSleeper Offline

Administrators

Machine: PR System One REMstar Auto (DS560)
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Swift II
Humidifier: none
CPAP Pressure: 12.5 - 18.5 cmH20 (auto range)
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: Have diabetes Type II

(04-23-2012 04:34 PM)ITShortBus Wrote:  Folks; I have been on a BPAP machine for three years and the motor is going out. My current HMO will only cover 50o/o of the monthly rental (my cost $30). I refuse to get caught up in the rental game like I did when I was a newbie and got suckerd for $35 month for 10 months five years ago. I could have bought a machine. So I found a near new ResMed S9 and it is a CPAP (Will not change to Auto or BPAP). If I set it to my current pressure will it work for me or is there really that much difference between the machines. I just got the manual to configure it so I have not used it yet. I could make a few bucks selling this machine and keep looking for a BPAP if need be. Appreciate all your help. Thanks Jerry
Sleep-well

I would agree with Bill that it's a good thing to talk to your doctor about this. At first glance, my thinking is this:

You list your current BPAP pressures as: 16/13 cm/h2o

That's only a 3 cmH20 difference between inhalation and exhalation pressures. If your pressure needs have not changed, I would think that if you have a ResMed CPAP with EPR, you could set the pressure at 16, and turn the EPR on to 3, thus reducing the exhalation pressure down to 13. This would essentially be the same settings as your BPAP machine (16 inhalation, 13 exhalation pressure).

This is assuming that the pressures you're listing in your profile is the old BPAP settings (16/13 cm/h2o).

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

04-23-2012 05:12 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
JumpStart Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: ResMed S9 Autoset
Mask Make & Model:
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 10 - 20 (auto range)
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: ResMed Mirage Quattro

Sleep-well

SuperSleeper is certainly correct as to your ability to use the machine if the settings shown in your profile are correct. However, you would then have maxed out the S9 as far as equivalent BPAP settings, since a difference of 3 cm for inhalation/exhalation is the most that machine will ever do. If subsequent tests or prescriptions recommend a greater difference, you would again be in the market for a BPAP. It would be very good policy, as has been previously suggested, to see your sleep doc, or whoever did your initial prescription. It also may be that he/she would agree that the potential new machine would be sufficient.

Breathing keeps you alive. And PAP helps keep you breathing!
04-23-2012 06:40 PM
Sleepster Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: ResMed AirCurve10 VAuto
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: HumidAir and SlimLine Hose
CPAP Pressure: MaxI 13.6 | MinE 5.2 | PS 4.4
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: Diagnosed Nov 2011. Conquered aerophagia.

(04-23-2012 05:12 PM)SuperSleeper Wrote:  You list your current BPAP pressures as: 16/13 cm/h2o

That's only a 3 cmH20 difference between inhalation and exhalation pressures. If your pressure needs have not changed, I would think that if you have a ResMed CPAP with EPR, you could set the pressure at 16, and turn the EPR on to 3, thus reducing the exhalation pressure down to 13. This would essentially be the same settings as your BPAP machine (16 inhalation, 13 exhalation pressure).

Two things. A CPAP set at 16 with an exhalation relief of 3 is NOT the same as a BPAP set at 16 and 13. Although it is close. In the case of the CPAP the pressure will be 16 all the time, except when you exhale it'll drop to 13. The BPAP will be 13 all the time, except when you inhale it'll rise to 16. These two things are not the same because we pause between inhaling and exhaling, and again between exhaling and inhaling.

The other thing is that the BPAP may have exhalation relief, so it'll drop the pressure below 13 (as low as 10) when you exhale.

I don't know if any of this is relevant. It depends on the reason the BPAP was prescribed in the first place.

Sleepster
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
(This post was last modified: 04-23-2012 09:15 PM by Sleepster.)
04-23-2012 09:15 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
PaulaO2 Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: S9 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 14-20
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, Hypermobility Type; chronic sarcasm

Sex: Undisclosed

(04-23-2012 09:15 PM)Sleepster Wrote:  It depends on the reason the BPAP was prescribed in the first place.

This.

Excellent point.

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Breathe deeply and count to zen.

04-23-2012 09:55 PM
greatunclebill Offline

Members-b

Machine: Respironics System one Auto A-Flex
Mask Make & Model:
Humidifier: System one
CPAP Pressure: 8-12
CPAP Software: SleepyHead EncoreViewer

Other Comments: quattro fx full face

(04-23-2012 09:55 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote:  
(04-23-2012 09:15 PM)Sleepster Wrote:  It depends on the reason the BPAP was prescribed in the first place.

This.

Excellent point.

is why my answer was see your doctor. we don't know the medical history and we're saying it's ok or it might be ok to switch the type of machine.
04-23-2012 10:25 PM

Donate to Apnea Board

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Differnce between BPAP and A-FLex?? MrEGuy 5 508 04-12-2016 03:35 AM
Last Post: MrEGuy
  [CPAP] New to CPAP/BPAP, New to forum Tmaul 3 628 09-30-2015 06:02 PM
Last Post: Tmaul
  VPAP S - BPAP to CPAP? nesteve 4 1,132 04-28-2014 03:13 PM
Last Post: zonk
  [Equipment] CSA #'s that require BPAP or BPAP-SV? WakeUpTime 49 7,441 03-21-2014 12:13 PM
Last Post: nasnas
  [Diagnosis] Reasons to BPAP, over CPAP WakeUpTime 38 6,843 03-17-2014 08:59 AM
Last Post: me50
  Medicare: Switching from CPAP to BPAP sir_sleeps_alot 7 2,967 03-09-2014 07:38 PM
Last Post: trish6hundred
  Talking about BPAP Chuck 10 3,958 09-19-2012 12:10 PM
Last Post: Chuck