Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] CPAP vs BPAP
Question 
CPAP vs BPAP
Folks; I have been on a BPAP machine for three years and the motor is going out. My current HMO will only cover 50o/o of the monthly rental (my cost $30). I refuse to get caught up in the rental game like I did when I was a newbie and got suckerd for $35 month for 10 months five years ago. I could have bought a machine. So I found a near new ResMed S9 and it is a CPAP (Will not change to Auto or BPAP). If I set it to my current pressure will it work for me or is there really that much difference between the machines. I just got the manual to configure it so I have not used it yet. I could make a few bucks selling this machine and keep looking for a BPAP if need be. Appreciate all your help. Thanks Jerry
Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: CPAP vs BPAP
(04-23-2012, 04:34 PM)ITShortBus Wrote: Folks; I have been on a BPAP machine for three years and the motor is going out. My current HMO will only cover 50o/o of the monthly rental (my cost $30). I refuse to get caught up in the rental game like I did when I was a newbie and got suckerd for $35 month for 10 months five years ago. I could have bought a machine. So I found a near new ResMed S9 and it is a CPAP (Will not change to Auto or BPAP). If I set it to my current pressure will it work for me or is there really that much difference between the machines. I just got the manual to configure it so I have not used it yet. I could make a few bucks selling this machine and keep looking for a BPAP if need be. Appreciate all your help. Thanks Jerry
Sleep-well

welcome to the forum.

3 words for you: SEE YOUR DOCTOR.
First Diagnosed July 1990

MSgt (E-7) USAF (Medic)
Retired 1968-1990
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-23-2012, 04:34 PM)ITShortBus Wrote: Folks; I have been on a BPAP machine for three years and the motor is going out. My current HMO will only cover 50o/o of the monthly rental (my cost $30). I refuse to get caught up in the rental game like I did when I was a newbie and got suckerd for $35 month for 10 months five years ago. I could have bought a machine. So I found a near new ResMed S9 and it is a CPAP (Will not change to Auto or BPAP). If I set it to my current pressure will it work for me or is there really that much difference between the machines. I just got the manual to configure it so I have not used it yet. I could make a few bucks selling this machine and keep looking for a BPAP if need be. Appreciate all your help. Thanks Jerry
Sleep-well

I would agree with Bill that it's a good thing to talk to your doctor about this. At first glance, my thinking is this:

You list your current BPAP pressures as: 16/13 cm/h2o

That's only a 3 cmH20 difference between inhalation and exhalation pressures. If your pressure needs have not changed, I would think that if you have a ResMed CPAP with EPR, you could set the pressure at 16, and turn the EPR on to 3, thus reducing the exhalation pressure down to 13. This would essentially be the same settings as your BPAP machine (16 inhalation, 13 exhalation pressure).

This is assuming that the pressures you're listing in your profile is the old BPAP settings (16/13 cm/h2o).

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Sleep-well

SuperSleeper is certainly correct as to your ability to use the machine if the settings shown in your profile are correct. However, you would then have maxed out the S9 as far as equivalent BPAP settings, since a difference of 3 cm for inhalation/exhalation is the most that machine will ever do. If subsequent tests or prescriptions recommend a greater difference, you would again be in the market for a BPAP. It would be very good policy, as has been previously suggested, to see your sleep doc, or whoever did your initial prescription. It also may be that he/she would agree that the potential new machine would be sufficient.

Breathing keeps you alive. And PAP helps keep you breathing!
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-23-2012, 05:12 PM)SuperSleeper Wrote: You list your current BPAP pressures as: 16/13 cm/h2o

That's only a 3 cmH20 difference between inhalation and exhalation pressures. If your pressure needs have not changed, I would think that if you have a ResMed CPAP with EPR, you could set the pressure at 16, and turn the EPR on to 3, thus reducing the exhalation pressure down to 13. This would essentially be the same settings as your BPAP machine (16 inhalation, 13 exhalation pressure).

Two things. A CPAP set at 16 with an exhalation relief of 3 is NOT the same as a BPAP set at 16 and 13. Although it is close. In the case of the CPAP the pressure will be 16 all the time, except when you exhale it'll drop to 13. The BPAP will be 13 all the time, except when you inhale it'll rise to 16. These two things are not the same because we pause between inhaling and exhaling, and again between exhaling and inhaling.

The other thing is that the BPAP may have exhalation relief, so it'll drop the pressure below 13 (as low as 10) when you exhale.

I don't know if any of this is relevant. It depends on the reason the BPAP was prescribed in the first place.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-23-2012, 09:15 PM)Sleepster Wrote: It depends on the reason the BPAP was prescribed in the first place.

This.

Excellent point.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-23-2012, 09:55 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote:
(04-23-2012, 09:15 PM)Sleepster Wrote: It depends on the reason the BPAP was prescribed in the first place.

This.

Excellent point.

is why my answer was see your doctor. we don't know the medical history and we're saying it's ok or it might be ok to switch the type of machine.
First Diagnosed July 1990

MSgt (E-7) USAF (Medic)
Retired 1968-1990
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Gross [Diagnosis] Moved from APAP to BPAP and struggling Spicykielbasa 1 223 03-10-2024, 04:40 PM
Last Post: Spicykielbasa
  How do I make the case for BPAP? SleepingFish 18 1,293 08-29-2023, 05:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  IVAPS vs Vauto BPAP - Tidal Volume Question cmpman1974 168 9,327 08-08-2023, 09:30 PM
Last Post: cmpman1974
  UARS - bad first night switching from APAP to BPAP manders513 1 493 08-07-2023, 01:41 PM
Last Post: manders513
  ResMed BPAP ST-A vs BPAP VAuto - S Mode Only Question cmpman1974 5 611 05-03-2023, 07:28 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Equipment] Fisher & Paykel Oracle 452 Oral CPAP Mask for BPAP kakadyi 3 749 09-16-2022, 05:23 AM
Last Post: kakadyi
  BPAP trial (sleepytin therapy thread) sleepytin 13 1,452 02-26-2022, 08:58 AM
Last Post: sleepytin

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.