Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Started therapy 5 days ago and it is a nightmare
RE: Started therapy 5 days ago and it is a nightmare
Although I don't have beard now, I used the AirFit 20 full face mask for over a year with a full beard (Mine wasn't quite as impressive as Bonjour's.) I had no significant leak problems. The belief that full face masks are incompatible with beards is wrong.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
(08-31-2019, 10:17 PM)sheepless Wrote: hearsay, I have almost no experience with masks.  the p10 nasal pillow has been working ok so I haven't experimented.  I've thought about it though and I 'assumed' the nasal masks seal against the upper lip.  so I figured they'd be prone leaks sitting on a mustache.  is this not the case?  do some or all of the nasal masks seal against nostrils like the pillows?  wait. I get lip leaks so a nasal mask wouldn't work any better than pillows for me, would it?.  still, I'm curious. do nasal masks seal, at the bottom, on the upper lip or against the openings of the nose?

Hi sheepless.

Yes the typical nasal mask do seal against the upper lip. I meant the "under the nose" nasal mask which is similar in concept to the pillows which seals against the openings of the nose only. Respironics calls them the dreamwear nasal while resmed calls them the N30i as compared to the pillows (dreamwear pillows and P30i).

Hope this answers your question Coffee Coffee
hearsay73
Hosehead padawan 
Repaying my sleep debt, 1 night at a time...
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree with the other replies.
Getting the right mask is very difficult. I believe I changed masks 6 or 7 times in the first few weeks. Originally they tried me with a Nasal mask which worked but was uncomfortable. Also I was a stomach sleeper and it took me a while to learn to be a side sleeper. I also went to Nasal Pillows, which seemed to work better, FOR ME!
I use the Opus 360 nasal pillows. Once I got to them, sleep improved dramatically. You have to fight your way to a better night's sleep. It's not easy but once you get "it", you will feel better. Keep trying, you'll find a mask that is right for you.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have used the classic II since i've been on C-PAP. Like when it came out. looking for an adequate replacement. Mine are beyond there last leg. Any suggestions would be helpful. UUUVP in 1986. machine in 1990. I was a new nurse and took care of a patient with severe apnea.
Post Reply Post Reply
Might help to add a bit of Melatonin to the mix till you work things out.
Post Reply Post Reply
For side sleepers, has anyone tried the DreamWear Gel Nasal Pillows?
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, I have and they work but the way they sealed still caused leaks and also some irritation. I often swapped between the Dreamwear pillows and nasal masks. The P30i nasal pillows are much better for me and are virtually leak free while being very comfortable.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-04-2019, 04:22 AM)holden4th Wrote: Yes, I have and they work but the way they sealed still caused leaks and also some irritation. I often swapped between the Dreamwear pillows and nasal masks. The P30i nasal pillows are much better for me and are virtually leak free while being very comfortable.

OK, thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Little Olive - Therapy Adventure Little Olive 67 1,178 2 hours ago
Last Post: jcp519
  First time therapy, settings and progress Schernenk 56 855 9 hours ago
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Persistent micro arousals? first few days on ResMed after switch from Philips. manders513 10 1,199 10 hours ago
Last Post: freakyfrog
  liebano - Therapy Analysis liebano 17 578 Yesterday, 05:32 PM
Last Post: liebano
  3 Days of Oscar Charts - Looking for advice Jakeb24 5 126 04-15-2024, 10:10 AM
Last Post: Jakeb24
  johnathanb76 - Therapy Help In Migrating to a Resmed johnathanb76 27 480 04-14-2024, 06:29 PM
Last Post: johnathanb76
Question Help! 40 days CPAP no symptom relief. What's wrong? cpapmj 2 121 04-14-2024, 02:16 AM
Last Post: Expat31

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.