Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] CSA #'s that require BPAP or BPAP-SV?
CSA #'s that require BPAP or BPAP-SV?
I've been on CPAP only a few months since being diagnosed with "severe apnea" (AHI=40). After CPAP (pressure 12), the OSA is minimal (2-3) but the CSA is persistent at about 5-7 and won't let go. I get a good sleep until about 3am with CPAP but the rest of the night is just awake but somewhat paralyzed.

A BPAP (or PR "BiPAP") machine is said to help with CSA too. And, of course, for significant CSA, and AutoSV BPAP is the way to go.

Has anyone heard of what kind of numbers are needed before a CPAP user should go to a BPAP or a BPAP-SV, as a result of persistently high CSA data?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: CSA #'s that require BPAP or BPAP-SV?
Hi WakeUpTime,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I don't know the answer to your question but hang in there and someone will be along soon, to help you.
Best of luck with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't see an option to edit a post, so just for clarification...
CSA = talking about Central Sleep Apnea events (or Clear Airway Obstructions)
OSA = Obstructive Sleep Apnea events

In summary, I'm just wondering about the general criteria of when someone is told to "move up" into another category of machine.
CPAP -> APAP -> BPAP -> BPAP-SV.
All machine types are representative in the Apnea Board.
For the BPAP or BPAP-SV users, do you happen to know the which criteria you had that brought you into the BPAP or SV category of machine?
Post Reply Post Reply
I think it has to be much more than 5-7 CA's per night. 5-7 can be caused by increased pressure, waking up, going to sleep, maybe during or coming out of REM. Since you are really new to CPAP, it could be due to adjusting to therapy. Others will have more info to offer you. In the meantime, stick with it.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-11-2014, 06:11 PM)me50 Wrote: I think it has to be much more than 5-7 CA's per night. 5-7 can be caused by increased pressure, waking up, going to sleep, maybe during or coming out of REM. Since you are really new to CPAP, it could be due to adjusting to therapy. Others will have more info to offer you. In the meantime, stick with it.

Thanks for your msg. I'm new to Encore.
I think now that the "CA Index" (central/open airway) and "OA Index" (obstructive) are per hour rather than per night. (Sorry about my sloppy description. I'm a newbee.)

I'm at about 5-7 central events each hour. I do seem to have a bit of a problem in forgetting to (or not wanting to) breathe.
It could be temporary I suppose, but after a few months of nightly use, one would think it would settle.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-11-2014, 06:29 PM)WakeUpTime Wrote:
(03-11-2014, 06:11 PM)me50 Wrote: I think it has to be much more than 5-7 CA's per night. 5-7 can be caused by increased pressure, waking up, going to sleep, maybe during or coming out of REM. Since you are really new to CPAP, it could be due to adjusting to therapy. Others will have more info to offer you. In the meantime, stick with it.

Thanks for your msg. I'm new to Encore.
I think now that the "CA Index" (central/open airway) and "OA Index" (obstructive) are per hour rather than per night. (Sorry about my sloppy description. I'm a newbee.)

I'm at about 5-7 central events each hour. I do seem to have a bit of a problem in forgetting to (or not wanting to) breathe.
It could be temporary I suppose, but after a few months of nightly use, one would think it would settle.

EDIT: What was your AHI and the break down last night and maybe the 2-3 nights before?

it would be helpful if you know how to post your leak graph, pressure graph and event graph for us to take a look at. we can help you better if we can see the data. Also, what did your sleep study show? If you don't have a copy of it, request it in full, to include your data plots throughout the night.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-11-2014, 07:06 PM)me50 Wrote: What was your AHI and the break down last night and maybe the 2-3 nights before?
Data from the most recent nights (with CPAP)...
AHI = 8 / CA = 5 / OA = 2 / Hyp = 1 / RERA = 2

I thought there might be some general rule or formula of when someone might require a BPAP or BPAP-SV, when CPAP is insufficient as a result of continuing central apnea events.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-11-2014, 09:23 PM)WakeUpTime Wrote:
(03-11-2014, 07:06 PM)me50 Wrote: What was your AHI and the break down last night and maybe the 2-3 nights before?
Data from the most recent nights (with CPAP)...
AHI = 8 / CA = 5 / OA = 2 / Hyp = 1 / RERA = 2

I thought there might be some general rule or formula of when someone might require a BPAP or BPAP-SV, when CPAP is insufficient as a result of continuing central apnea events.

looks like your AHI was 8 for the night with 5 being CA, 2 being OA and 1 being Hyp. Try sleepy Head and someone suggested and then we can see at what point during the night you had each event. How many hours did you sleep on the night you got the above data from?
Post Reply Post Reply
Bi-level itself does *not* help with CAs. In order to help with CAs you need to step up to an ASV machine. As for how many events are 'needed' for an ASV machine to be suggested, another will need to answer that.

FYI? CAs caused by CPAP pressure changes can take 3 to 6 months to ease on their own. And, some *might* suggest dropping your pressure by '1' and watching it closely for 3-5 weeks to see if it lowers the CAs without raising the OAs.
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
It's another night of the persistent Central Sleep Apnea events (5/hour) on a regular CPAP machine.
Just wondering if they're part of "getting used to the new CPAP machine" or perhaps I really
do need an AutoSV machine to get rid of them altogether.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Gross [Diagnosis] Moved from APAP to BPAP and struggling Spicykielbasa 1 223 03-10-2024, 04:40 PM
Last Post: Spicykielbasa
  Does Medicare Require An Annual Recertification of Medical Necessity? AndyB 10 961 11-17-2023, 11:23 PM
Last Post: AndyB
  Does Airsense 10 require periodic calibration checks? CorruptAlligator 4 1,255 10-19-2023, 03:01 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  How do I make the case for BPAP? SleepingFish 18 1,293 08-29-2023, 05:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  IVAPS vs Vauto BPAP - Tidal Volume Question cmpman1974 168 9,327 08-08-2023, 09:30 PM
Last Post: cmpman1974
  UARS - bad first night switching from APAP to BPAP manders513 1 493 08-07-2023, 01:41 PM
Last Post: manders513
  ResMed BPAP ST-A vs BPAP VAuto - S Mode Only Question cmpman1974 5 610 05-03-2023, 07:28 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.