Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] CSA #'s that require BPAP or BPAP-SV?
RE: CSA #'s that require BPAP or BPAP-SV?
(03-20-2014, 09:21 AM)nasnas Wrote: so you did experience REM REBOUND
keep going,it seems that it works for you
but not for me! ahhhhhhhhh good for you thx for reply

I'm sorry that I don't remember your background (how long you've been at it). My sleep dr. did tell me that it's normal to expect an early rebound in the first 2 days when beginning CPAP. Since those 2 days, I haven't had any sleep that's been anyway close to that "honeymoon" period as they call it. Not even 25% of either of those days. It was short lived. However, again, I'm only 3 months into it. If you're also new it at, it could take awhile to get the pressures right for you. Also, if you're on an SV machine, those extra blasts of air for your centrals might also be a challenge, though it's doing what it needs to do; so that might take longer too. It's not a solution yet, but the brain's very appreciative of getting some oxygen now.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-20-2014, 09:46 AM)WakeUpTime Wrote:

I'm sorry that I don't remember your background (how long you've been at it). My sleep dr. did tell me that it's normal to expect an early rebound in the first 2 days when beginning CPAP. Since those 2 days, I haven't had any sleep that's been anyway close to that "honeymoon" period as they call it. Not even 25% of either of those days. It was short lived. However, again, I'm only 3 months into it. If you're also new it at, it could take awhile to get the pressures right for you. Also, if you're on an SV machine, those extra blasts of air for your centrals might also be a challenge, though it's doing what it needs to do; so that might take longer too. It's not a solution yet, but the brain's very appreciative of getting some oxygen now.

ok,I will, but not sure of therapy
thank you
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-20-2014, 03:49 AM)nasnas Wrote: I really thank you very much
I usually have not much of problems with mask or waking in sleep because of machine, leaks,or...
I used autoCPAP for about 3months
Do you remember what the data looked like on autoCPAP? Were there a lot of centrals? What triggered the switch to ASV?

Quote:I have tried different pressures in ASV,like PS from 00to06 with EPAP from 04to08 but nothing improved
How frequently do you change the settings on the ASV?

And what are the ASV settings? Target minute volume?? Breaths per minute???

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-20-2014, 04:09 AM)nasnas Wrote: does anyone know what is the normal ranges in sleep:
minute ventilation?
tidal volume?
respiratory rate?
pulse rate?
The normal range for these parameters is quite large and depends somewhat on the person's physical size.

Quote:mine are:
minute ventilation about 5
tidal volume about 350
respiratory rate about 13
pulse rate about 50

i think that my tidal volume and pulse rate are low
can i adjust the pressure so that both of respiratory rate and tidal volume get higher?
Minute ventilation, tidal volume and respiratory rate all go DOWN in normal sleep. My guess is that your numbers on these things are just fine for you.

So does pulse. Whether that pulse rate is slow enough to be a real concern is something to discuss with your doctor.
Post Reply Post Reply
dear robysue!
I changed to ASV because I have centrals with CPAP and cant tolerate it atall
I used to sleep with CPAP about 10 to 12 hours aday and not even any differences with no cpap!!
i found that asv is easier to tolerate and somehow give me a better sleep
i sleep with asv about 8hours and in the morning i put the musk off and sleep about 1 to 2 hours more
alittle better than without asv, but not to normal
i`m always sleepy and forgetful
i changed the settings in my own view every 3to4 days to see how it works and i found that i`m much comfortable with lower pressure,like min ps=3 and min epap=4
so you think that i should see a cardiologist, ok, i will
it seems that you are very familiar with technical issues, are you? or just brilliant?
you really help me with your ideas and i appreciate that
i feel that i`m not alone and this give me more energy to fight with this damn apnea
really thanks
your max ipap is 8? what is your min ps?
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-20-2014, 09:46 AM)WakeUpTime Wrote:

excue me, is your memory better with cpap?
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-20-2014, 03:38 PM)nasnas Wrote: i found that asv is easier to tolerate and somehow give me a better sleep
i sleep with asv about 8hours and in the morning i put the musk off and sleep about 1 to 2 hours more

As long as you are being monitored by competent medical providers, no adjustments to your machine will make a bigger improvement than sleeping with the mask on 100% of the time.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi nasnas,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
If I understood you right, uou say that you change your pressures every 4 days, sounds to me like you are making way too many adjustments, WAY too often.
You need to set your pressures and leave them alone for two weeks or better so you can see trends instead of messing with them every 4 days.
Hang in there for more responses andbest of luck to you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-20-2014, 03:38 PM)nasnas Wrote: dear robysue!
I changed to ASV because I have centrals with CPAP and cant tolerate it atall
So what does the distribution of events look like now that you're on the ASV? Is the number of CAs down substantially?

Quote:i sleep with asv about 8hours and in the morning i put the musk off and sleep about 1 to 2 hours more
alittle better than without asv, but not to normal
i`m always sleepy and forgetful
Part of the problem is the 1 to 2 hours of sleeping without the machine. Those hours, your apnea is untreated and the number of events that occur during those 1-2 hours could be enough to explain your continuing daytime problems with sleepiness and forgetfulness.

Quote:i changed the settings in my own view every 3to4 days to see how it works and i found that i`m much comfortable with lower pressure,like min ps=3 and min epap=4
I think you're making way too many changes. If the current settings are comfortable AND the treated AHI < 5, then leave the settings alone for a while---as in a couple of weeks---to allow your body and brain to really become accustomed to the machine at these settings.

If the current settings are comfortable, but the AHI is too high, you may want to leave the settings where they are for a full week and then bump up the min EPAP by 0.5 and leave it there for a week. Keep repeating until you get the min EPAP up to a point where the AHI gets below 5 and stays below five. But don't change the min EPAP by more than 0.5 cm at a time. And only change one variable at a time. In other words, only change the min EPAP or only change the min PS setting at one time.

Quote:so you think that i should see a cardiologist, ok, i will
Unless you have a history of heart disease, I doubt that this is important. If I were you, I'd mention it to the sleep doc and my PCP at the next regularly scheduled appointment.

Quote:it seems that you are very familiar with technical issues, are you? or just brilliant?
. Thanks.

I'm just a well read patient. I'm also a college professor. So I have some sense of how to effectively research things when I want to. And I have an ability to read fairly technical material and still get a fair amount of useful information out of it.

Quote:your max ipap is 8? what is your min ps?
I use a plain old BiPAP Auto (not an ASV machine) because I had severe aerophagia problems when I started PAPing.

I've had three titration studies done with BiPAP. My titration pressures on the sleep studies were

IPAP = 8; EPAP = 6 (Nov. 2010)
IPAP = 7; EPAP = 4 (Feb. 2011)
IPAP = 8; EPAP = 5 (July 2013)

I've been using an Auto range of Min EPAP = 4 and Max IPAP = 8 since March 2011 and the current sleep doc thinks I might as well stay with that range.

My machine is one of the older Series 50 System One machines. On those machines the min PS = 2 and there is no way to change it. (In other words, there is no min PS setting.) Hence my IPAP ranges from 6 to 8 cm and my EPAP ranges from 4 to 6 cm.

Post Reply Post Reply
thank you all
you give me a better undrestanding
now, i will continue to use the machine more, steadyly and see what will happen!!
i`m now so confused that dunno what to write!!
good luck to you
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Gross [Diagnosis] Moved from APAP to BPAP and struggling Spicykielbasa 1 225 03-10-2024, 04:40 PM
Last Post: Spicykielbasa
  Does Medicare Require An Annual Recertification of Medical Necessity? AndyB 10 964 11-17-2023, 11:23 PM
Last Post: AndyB
  Does Airsense 10 require periodic calibration checks? CorruptAlligator 4 1,255 10-19-2023, 03:01 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  How do I make the case for BPAP? SleepingFish 18 1,293 08-29-2023, 05:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  IVAPS vs Vauto BPAP - Tidal Volume Question cmpman1974 168 9,334 08-08-2023, 09:30 PM
Last Post: cmpman1974
  UARS - bad first night switching from APAP to BPAP manders513 1 493 08-07-2023, 01:41 PM
Last Post: manders513
  ResMed BPAP ST-A vs BPAP VAuto - S Mode Only Question cmpman1974 5 614 05-03-2023, 07:28 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.