Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Calling all bearded guys
Calling all bearded guys

I was concerned about my therapy because since I retired I have grown a full breard. Looking at the graph summary data on leaks and not quite understanding what is acceptable made me do some Googling and saw the thing about striving for <5 on AHI. Plus I just changed from the ResMed Quattro to a ResMed Quattro Air full face mask and was curious if things were good with this mask.I was concerned about the leak data shown in the summary graphs and that is what led me to researching what was acceptable.

Using Resmed Quattro Air full face mask
Over the past 14 days,
Usage
Median daily usage: 7.49
Average daily usage: 7.27.

Leaks
Median: 13.2,
95th percentile: 25.8,
Maximum: 52.2

AHI average for the 14 day period is .2.

Previous 14 day period with ResMed Quattro full face mask

Usage
Median daily usage: 7.45
Average daily Usage: 8.15

Leaks
Median: 2.4
95th Percentile: 10.8

Maximum: 21.6

AHI
for this 2 week period: .1

Any input on how my therapy numbers look and suggestions for masks that work well with a full beard would be appreciated. FWIW, I have tried the nasal pillows but do not like the chin strap I have to wear when using them.

Thanks in advance.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Calling all bearded guys
Nasal pillows work best with full beards! I have had a full beard 7 months of the year (and a VanDyke for the other 5) for several decades and the pillows have always worked for me!
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. 
ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
Post Reply Post Reply
Same here - pillows and a Sammi Chlaus beard.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have a full beard and have good success with the Respironics Wisp mask. Sleep-well
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've got a nice moustache going...can be an issue for pillows or a nasal mask depending on how thick.

Regarding your numbers, an AHI < 5 is generally considered okay and you seem to be doing far better than that regardless of the mask choice.

For ResMed machines, an unintentional leak rate of 24 l/min or less is within what the machine can accommodate. Your average leak rate (Quattro Air) is less than 24, so that's good....and 95% of the time, you're less than 25.8....I'd say you're likely still getting pretty decent therapy with the Quattro Air.

Comparing the two it looks like the regular Quattro was sealing a bit better, but if you're just changing there could still be some growing pains there.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the replies. PsychoMike, that is what I was hoping to hear. The full face masks are the most comfortable for me and if my leaks are aceptable, I will go back to my Quattro mask, use it for a few days, and check the numbers again.
Post Reply Post Reply
i have hang down goatee and fur

fitlife i just tighten the lower and leak is minimal
"You're only lonely if you're not there for you."
-- Phil McGraw
Well, I looked my demons in the eyes, laid bare my chest, said "Do your best, destroy me. You see, I've been to hell and back so many times, I must admit you kind of bore me."
- Ray LaMontagne
One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain.
Bob Marley
Post Reply Post Reply
I have a Texan goatee aka a ZZ Top beard and use nasal pillows.
I'm not a Doctor but a fan of The Doctor. any views,comments etc are my own

Post Reply Post Reply
I have a mustache and goatee. Since the majority of time I can't breathe through my nose, nasal masks and pillows are not an option. I use a full face mask. I currently use the Mirage Quattro with the lower straps pretty tight. On my first month of therapy I used the Quattro Air but I was unable to control the leaks. This could have been since I was just starting out. I still have some issues with leaks but I adjust a little here and a little there and things are good for a couple of weeks.
Post Reply Post Reply
I tried nasal masks (both med & large) and full face (again both med & large) but they leaked like a sieve. Switched to nasal pillows and, for me, they work great. Good luck in your quest.
Mike
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Idea Calling all dreamwear users Bluesv6 7 1,253 03-31-2023, 02:43 PM
Last Post: xaid
Idea [Diagnosis] Help guys! alexfryatt1993 9 724 01-23-2023, 01:38 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Mouth tape for bearded people accetableplaintain 8 3,203 08-03-2022, 04:39 PM
Last Post: accetableplaintain
  [Equipment] Calling all electronics experts.... macca1024 0 620 03-19-2022, 02:27 AM
Last Post: macca1024
  Guys can someone please explain all the different settings on a BiPap (Philips) Zoltyzolt 2 712 03-12-2022, 09:58 AM
Video [Diagnosis] Hi guys starting therapy today, could someone explain my sleep study IwantToSleep123 6 977 08-14-2021, 01:27 AM
Last Post: IwantToSleep123
  Accolades to the guys here! Danno54 3 745 09-17-2020, 06:38 PM

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.