Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Calling all electronics experts....
Calling all electronics experts....
Hello all
I am starting this thread in the hopes of resolving an intriguing problem when running a Philips Dreamsation on a 12 volt cable which is connected to an Ecoflow River Pro portable solar generator. I have noticed threads on this forum talking about making custom cables and running CPAP machines of USB-C so I am hoping some experienced people could give their input and together we can solve the issue.

My story starts with the need to run my Dreamstation whilst camping. initially I had purchased the genuine Philips 12 volt cable and built myself portable battery by combining a cheap battery box and a car battery. This worked well and got me through the trip, however it had some drawbacks. 

I started to investigate alternative solutions such as the official Dreamstation battery pack but found it quite expensive for what it was, so I looked at other options and settled on an Ecoflow River Pro, this unit ticked a lot of boxes for both CPAP and non-CPAP usage.

So I was about to head off on a camping trip and decided to do a test run of my Dreamstation prior to leaving. I connected the 12v lead turned all heaters and humidifiers off and started the test. Everything was going OK, current draw was fluctuating between 0 and 30 watts and it ran like this for about 10 minutes. Then the Ecoflow shut down with an on screen alert saying "Overload" how was that possible? I then restarted the test and sure enough a random amount of time later the overload light came back on and the Ecoflow shut down. 

I repeated the test a few more times looking for a pattern and noticed the Ecoflow shutting down as the wattage dropped to 0. I then turned the heated hose to 1 which increased the current draw by 10 watts so it was fluctuating between 10 and 40 watts. It ran OK for a few hours at least until the hose heater cycled off and the current dropped back down again. So it seemed that increasing the device load prevented the overload warning.

I thought maybe the 12v port is faulty so I plugged in my Engel camp fridge and let it cycle all night with no issues, it was drawing 130 watts peak so the Ecoflow can supply the power when needed. I also tried a 12v laptop charger and watched the current draw drop from 60 watts to 0 as the laptop charged, again no issue. 

I reached out to Ecoflow tech support but just got basic support that didn't help, once they learned it was a CPAP device they basically just said it is not supported and washed their hands of it. 

I then posted in the Ecoflow facebook group and found a gentlemen an Tennessee that had the exact same issue when using the dreamstation on 12v also, he confirmed that using a Jackery solar generator resolved the problem so it appears the issue is endemic to the Ecoflow device when coupled to a dreamstation.

So as far as I can tell there is something about the load profile of the dreamstation that is triggering the over current protection falsely in the Ecoflow. I have tried crudely replicating the load profile with LED strips and switching them on and off but was unable to get the unit to trip out. The other thought I had was to build a load simulator using a brake light globe from a car, a 555 timer and power transistor to slowly fade up and down the light globe in an attempt to simulate the dreamstation load, that was I could engage Ecoflow tech support as I was no longer talking about issues with a medical device. 

Initially I thought maybe there was some RF noise or AC ripple coming from the dreamstation so I put a 1 farad capacitor across the 12v supply but no luck on that front. 

I took a video to demonstrate the issue. 
Link removed as I don't have 4 posts yet, however if you are a smart cookie: watch?v=NxY6S_tZhZ8

Does anyone have any suggestions on where to next? I was thinking of maybe putting an oscilloscope on the 12v rail to see if there are any voltage spikes, as the issue seems to happen when I exhale and the current drops. If that could be proven then perhaps I could build some sort of filter or add some diodes.

Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  When UARS Is Lung Disease? Lung experts? Apnea23 25 1,838 07-06-2023, 08:47 AM
Last Post: Apnea23
Idea Calling all dreamwear users Bluesv6 7 1,345 03-31-2023, 02:43 PM
Last Post: xaid
  Thanks to the Experts clownbell 7 821 04-26-2021, 12:50 PM
Last Post: Marillion
  Flow Rate Graph, Mini Arousals - Experts Needed hallra 49 4,967 05-04-2020, 04:40 PM
Last Post: sheepless
  A few questions for the Experts streetwolf 5 1,299 10-23-2017, 04:25 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Experts. Please help. Fifa 6 1,544 08-15-2017, 02:39 PM
Last Post: trish6hundred
Question Calling on the wizards! hopefulsleeper 10 2,107 02-05-2017, 05:35 PM
Last Post: vsheline

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.