Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Camping for 7 days - AirCurve 10 ASV - battery power?
Camping for 7 days - AirCurve 10 ASV - battery power?
I've been recently diagnosed with sleep apnea. Originally I received an AirSense machine that didn't fix the problem. For the last week, I've been using an AirCurve 10 ASV that is working well.

In June, I will be camping for a week with the Boy Scouts in a fixed location. I'll have a big tent and can take a battery. What do I need to be able to run my machine for 7 days?

TIA for all the help!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Camping for 7 days - AirCurve 10 ASV - battery power?
See Mongo's post #69 for a good start:

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...#pid162941

You'll need a larger battery or a charger (maybe a solar charger).

7 nights might be too much for a reasonable setup.
Just my personal opinion.  My posts are not medical advice or a statement of fact.  Please consult a qualified physician or other qualified medical personnel.  Please comply with all applicable laws, codes, regulations, and protocols.
Post Reply Post Reply
Second the solar panels to charge the battery. like It's a must have for more than one night.

James
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Grooves McFly,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more answers to your battery question and much success to you with your CPAP therapy.
I hope your camping trip gose well.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
McFly: Do you have to lug in the battery? SLA's are heavy.
So, a larger battery may not be practical. A 100 Watt solar panel with a charger is a possible option to use with an SLA in the 35 A-Hr range.

Run with humidity "off" to conserve power.

Or, you could hook up a Car alternator to a stationary bike and have the scouts charge the battery... Grin
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello Mc Fly,

I have the same machine as you. We have quite a few power-cuts here so my technician ordered me a Resmed back-up battery.

His advice to conserve power was (as JustMongo suggested) to stop using the humidifier (you need to replace it of course with the block-off end-piece that came with the machine).

He also said that if you are using Auto-EPAP to replace it with a fixed EPAP pressure and to minimise, as appropriate for you, the range of pressure support. This should make the machine 'less active' and apparently conserve power.

I can't find any publications that support my technician's advice but he's very expert so I usually take note of what he says.

Hope you have a great trip!

...................................................................................................
All my opinions are only as an xPAP user trying to help another xPAP user.
No suggestions I may make should be taken as professional advice.
If you have medical concerns please consult a doctor

My current pressures: Auto-ASV. EPAP 10-12. PS 3-10

Post Reply Post Reply
(05-26-2016, 04:43 PM)justMongo Wrote: McFly: Do you have to lug in the battery? SLA's are heavy.

I think I will be able to drop off all my camping equipment directly at the camping site, so I won't need to lug it by hand for any long distance. I'm checking to see if there is 110v electricity at the central facility. If so, I may take a dolly so I can haul the battery over for a re-charge every few days.

(05-26-2016, 04:43 PM)justMongo Wrote: Or, you could hook up a Car alternator to a stationary bike and have the scouts charge the battery... Grin

Ha, I love this idea!

(05-27-2016, 04:40 AM)Asjb Wrote: I have the same machine as you. We have quite a few power-cuts here so my technician ordered me a Resmed back-up battery.

The Resmed back-up battery looks like an interesting option since it's so much smaller. Even though it's expensive, it might be worth it for future camping trips where I won't be able to lug a full-size battery.

Question: if you can recharge it every day, will the battery last the night running the humidifier?
Post Reply Post Reply
I was looking on a website that sells sleep machine supplies (I understand I'm not supposed to link directly). They sell this DC converter: "ResMed 10-Series DC adapter for AirSense 10 CPAP machines and AirCurve 10 VPAP Machines" Item Id: 37297.

Question 1: If I buy this, do I need a 24v battery, or does it do the conversion so you can use a 12v battery?

Question 2: Is an ASV in the same category as a VPAP?
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-27-2016, 10:26 AM)Grooves McFly Wrote:
(05-27-2016, 04:40 AM)Asjb Wrote: I have the same machine as you. We have quite a few power-cuts here so my technician ordered me a Resmed back-up battery.

The Resmed back-up battery looks like an interesting option since it's so much smaller. Even though it's expensive, it might be worth it for future camping trips where I won't be able to lug a full-size battery.

Question: if you can recharge it every day, will the battery last the night running the humidifier?

Hello again. Sorry, don't know. Absolutely typical - haven't had any power cuts since I was given the Resmed battery (but the way workers' protests are going this week in France, feel sure it won't be long before the electricity goes off...)

................................................................................................
All my opinions are only as a xPAP user trying to help another xPAP user.
No suggestions I may make should be taken as medical advice.
If you have medical concerns you should see a doctor (but you have a basic human right not to take their advice!)

My current pressures: Auto-ASV. EPAP 10-13. PS 3-10

Post Reply Post Reply
(05-27-2016, 10:29 AM)Grooves McFly Wrote: I was looking on a website that sells sleep machine supplies (I understand I'm not supposed to link directly). They sell this DC converter: "ResMed 10-Series DC adapter for AirSense 10 CPAP machines and AirCurve 10 VPAP Machines" Item Id: 37297.

Question 1: If I buy this, do I need a 24v battery, or does it do the conversion so you can use a 12v battery?

Question 2: Is an ASV in the same category as a VPAP?

You absolutely need that 12V to 24V converter. Not only does it up convert from 12 to 24 Volts, it has the correct 3 wire connector for the 10 series machine. (Barrel, Tip, and center pin.) ResMed makes it such that only a ResMed supply can run their machines.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Trouble adapting to ResMed AirCurve 10 ASV JanetW 6 127 51 minutes ago
Last Post: stevew168
  Aircurve 10 ST-A and Lumis 150 VPAP ST-A just a UK branding difference? SingleH 37 2,110 Yesterday, 07:51 AM
Last Post: SingleH
  Oscar not recording CSR and RE with Aircurve 10 Vauto rmfisher132 1 67 03-17-2024, 04:33 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  HDM Z1 Battery Replacement Ephraim 10 1,699 03-17-2024, 11:51 AM
Last Post: breinersj
  Plmnb's New Therapy ResMed AirCurve 10 ST-A Plmnb 203 8,290 03-17-2024, 10:37 AM
Last Post: Plmnb
  [Treatment] Johnny O's ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto for severe sleep apnea (61 AHI) and OSA, CSA JohnnyO 13 279 03-12-2024, 06:44 PM
Last Post: JohnnyO
  new machine Resmed Aircurve 10 Vauto Uzupan 32 1,234 03-10-2024, 07:29 AM
Last Post: Uzupan

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.