Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Camping for 7 days - AirCurve 10 ASV - battery power?
RE: Camping for 7 days - AirCurve 10 ASV - battery power?
(05-27-2016, 04:40 AM)Asjb Wrote: His advice to conserve power was (as JustMongo suggested) to stop using the humidifier (you need to replace it of course with the block-off end-piece that came with the machine).

May I ask why?

I have the Resmed A10, and they didn't give me the $20 cover plate, so I have the humidifer setting turned off, and the humidifier empty.

What's the problem with using it that way when camping?
How does the plate make anything different (with respect to battery needs)?

PS: I know it's "smaller" with the humidifier removed; but that's not the question I am asking. I'm asking if it makes any difference to power requirements if the humidifier is connected, but turned off.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-09-2016, 04:41 PM)verbatim1 Wrote:
(05-27-2016, 04:40 AM)Asjb Wrote: His advice to conserve power was (as JustMongo suggested) to stop using the humidifier (you need to replace it of course with the block-off end-piece that came with the machine).

May I ask why?

I have the Resmed A10, and they didn't give me the $20 cover plate, so I have the humidifer setting turned off, and the humidifier empty.

What's the problem with using it that way when camping?
How does the plate make anything different (with respect to battery needs)?

PS: I know it's "smaller" with the humidifier removed; but that's not the question I am asking. I'm asking if it makes any difference to power requirements if the humidifier is connected, but turned off.

Good point! I think you are correct - can't see any reason why the humidifier connected but switched off and empty should drain power. Anyone out there know if that's an OK thing to do? Do you have to change the temperature settings too? Can the empty humidifier get too hot?

Post Reply Post Reply
(06-09-2016, 05:21 PM)Asjb Wrote: Good point! I think you are correct - can't see any reason why the humidifier connected but switched off and empty should drain power. Anyone out there know if that's an OK thing to do? Do you have to change the temperature settings too? Can the empty humidifier get too hot?

My sleep technician said to turn off the humidifier in settings, since this would be a bigger power drain than running the machine itself. He also suggested it was OK to keep water in it, since the air moving over the water would continue to add at least a little moisture to the air I'm breathing at night.
Post Reply Post Reply
OK, so here's an update. I purchased the official ResMed DC converter (part no. 37297). I also replaced the AGM battery on my Toyota Land Cruiser with a new one, so I kept the old one to run my ASV machine. I've slept 3.5 nights so far on a single charge, and I'm going to attempt one more night tonight before recharging the battery. If it can last 4 nights on a single charge, I will only need to recharge it once on my camping trip. So far, so good.
Post Reply Post Reply
sure hope your camping trip went well. both my boys are Eagle scouts so I've done my share of boy scout camping.

a bit late but here's the link to Resmed's battery guide which gives approximate amp draw depending on model and settings used. go to page 20 for A10 series http://www.resmed.com/us/dam/documents/a...lo_eng.pdf

your car AGM battery should be about 50 amp hour. it's not hard to look up your exact battery's AH ratings. note on an AGM or any other lead acid, it's not good to run it down completely dead. AGM are slightly different from FLA or flooded lead acid. most any 12v battery charger without desulfate mode will do. during desulfate mode, voltage could exceed AGM's 14.8v max.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hello. I am new to this forum and new to sleep apnea treatment. I have an AirCurve 10 ASV. I am going on a camping trip this weekend and hoping to bring my machine. I purchased the ResMed converter that also has the cigaretter light plug to alligator clips converter, but still need to buy a battery.

ResMed said in the battery guide (which doesn't list my machine) that the S9 VPAP Adapt was the closest match (pg. 19). This trip is only a two nighter but would like to get a battery that will last on longer trips if possible. How many amp-hours should I be shooting for?

I have learned that a deep cycle battery is what I need to purchase and I should turn off the humidifier as people have mentioned. Does turning down the humidifier also turn down the heat? Anyone get too cold of air blowing at them during camping trips that make it too uncomfortable?

Ideally I would like to use the heat and humidifier but with ASV I am wondering if I can last two nights. My EPAP prescription is min 9 and max 15.

Comments? An info would be appreciated, thanks!

SC
Post Reply Post Reply
The air you get turning off the heat in the humidifier will be exactly the same temperature everyone else is getting up their schnozes. Same humidity too.

Two factors figure in - pressure and the use of heated humidification. The book would tell you close to what you can expect to consume. You want a battery with a rated capacty of 150% of what you think you will need for the number of days you anticipate. Batteries lose capacity to hold charge over time or more rapidly with extreme use (frequent deep discharge and recharge) so even if fully charged, it may not have the full rated capacity. Tthat 50% cushion is to offset that. The ResMed book takes that in account when they recommend the AH capacity for an eight hour session. If they recommend a 10AH battery for one night at your pressure and heat settings, and you expect to be out three days, you would need a battery of at least 30 AH (you would really be using around 6.5 AH each night so you would really only use 20 AH, but that may be all the 30 AH battery can hold. Newer and better maintained will yield better than 20 AH, but how are you going to judge that?)

For me, here at the house, I find that the 35-39 AH batteries are the best balance between portability and capacity. If I was camping, that 25 pounds of battery may get heavy if I am hiking in. Not so heavy if I am driving right up to the camp site.

Heated humidification is NOT your friend. If you just MUST have humidification, go passive. you can fill the water chamber and try that, but the surface area is tiny and passive will not be effective going that route. Respironics has a passive humidifier that has scads more surface area and would be much more efficient if trying to save power. Many of the online vendors will have it. I am guessing a bit bigger than a sheet of paper, a couple inches tall, with a channel like a maze in if for the air to go through, lengthening the time over water. I think I have seen it on Vendor #1's site. I would actually like to have one for emergency use, but I am OK most of the time without humidification.

OMMOHY
Post Reply Post Reply
Thumbsup 
I have the Air Curve 10 Auto and note that the voltage is 24 volts, not 12 volts. You will need two 12 volt batteries in series to provide enough voltage. Also, I am thinking of making an adapter cable from my power chair as that is also 24 volt, or use a 12v to 24v converter.
Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
No, you don't need two 12 V in series or even a 24 V battery... You really can't just plug in a battery to the newer ResMed machines as they have a resistance signal coming up from the converter on a third pin. Without that, they will not run. You can rig up one if you want to spend all the time and make it yourself, but it a chore. I would probably go the Resmed converter route.

And the DC converter doesn't really care if it's getting 12 or 24 V IIRC. It will buck 12 V up to 24.

OMMOHY
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-28-2016, 11:01 AM)justMongo Wrote: You absolutely need that 12V to 24V converter. Not only does it up convert from 12 to 24 Volts, it has the correct 3 wire connector for the 10 series machine. (Barrel, Tip, and center pin.) ResMed makes it such that only a ResMed supply can run their machines.

Hmmm... I have a DC - AC converter in my car. It pushes some 20 A and 600 V. I have power leads connected directly to the battery, that run into the cab of my car where I connect my DC - AC converter. I plug my ResMed AirCurve 10 VAUTO and fire it up and it works just fine.

But I also have a nebulizer that I have to do this for too...

Warning: Eating chocolate may cause your clothes to shrink!
[Image: ry6XtE9.gif] <---- That's ME!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  3 Days of Oscar Charts - Looking for advice Jakeb24 5 119 Yesterday, 10:10 AM
Last Post: Jakeb24
  [Equipment] Bag for Aircurve 10 without humidifier? melbell 2 90 Yesterday, 09:09 AM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
Smile Alan's New ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto Came Today! Deborah K. 20 964 04-14-2024, 08:15 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Aircurve 10 Vauto ANTIKATE 5 138 04-14-2024, 12:53 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Rant and AirCurve 10 vs AirCurve 11 question Whacked 17 669 04-14-2024, 05:29 AM
Last Post: stevew168
Question Help! 40 days CPAP no symptom relief. What's wrong? cpapmj 2 113 04-14-2024, 02:16 AM
Last Post: Expat31
  [Equipment] Battery power source for ResMed machine MaskedOne 8 153 04-12-2024, 04:42 PM
Last Post: MaskedOne

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.