Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Camping with CPAP
Camping with CPAP
Hello I am a new member on this site. I am planning a camping trip with my Air Sense 10. I have been doing a lot of reading on line and there are a lot of great resources available for tips, however I have no working knowledge of batteries, amps / watts, inverters, generators.....

My RV is a 2010. I will be coming at a powered site. I am trying to confirm the following and cannot find strait forward answered on line:

1 - if my RV is plugged in, can i plug in my air sense 10 into an RV outlet and run the full machine? do I have to have the heated hose and humidifier turned off? do I need an inverter to protect the CPAP?

2 - Will my RV battery power my full CPAP (Humidifier & Hose)

3 - Is the Resmed Pilot plus 24 a good battery? will I get a full night use out of the battery? (I already understand tat the humidifier and heated hose have to be off)

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Camping with CPAP
When on "shore power" you have 110 AC power as normal and can run the CPAP just like at home. When on 12 volt battery power, you must purchase the 12-volt Resmed Airsense 10 converter, which allows you use DC power, and up-converts the power to 24 volts. In most cases, you should run without the humidifier or heated hose. You can buy an inexpensive heat/moisture exchanger. This will recirculate some of the exhaled moisture and heat to make CPAP more comfortable without a humidifier.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi oodie,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I hope your camping trip goes well.
Good luck to you with your CPAP therapy, hang in there for more answers to your question.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
When plugging into shore power via 30 or 50 receptacle you should be good to go as you would normally at home using the humidifier and heated hose. Your line protection should be from a good quality surge protector for the whole domestic power system for the RV.

When I boondock off the grid I have 2- group 27 house batteries and a Honda eU-3000 that I run for about an hour a day to keep them charged to run my furnace heater at night an a few lights. To run my CPAP I use a ResMed DC power converter for my exact machine WITHOUT using the humidifier and I use my non-heated hose which is plugged into a 12VDC (similar to a car cigarette lighter.) I do however put water in the reservoir even though the heater is off. There is a certain amount of moisture that will naturally convect into the breather tube. I will keep a small bottle of saline nasal spray as well as a water bottle close by during the night as well as liberally spraying the saline solution in each nostril before retiring.

On my last hunting trip lasting 6 nights this worked very well in the very dry Colorado mountain air.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-09-2017, 03:41 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: ~snip~..... You can buy an inexpensive heat/moisture exchanger.  This will recirculate some of the exhaled moisture and heat to make CPAP more comfortable without a humidifier.

Sleeprider, tell me more of this exchanger to which you refer.    Is this something that my CPAP store from which I purchase my supplies will be familiar? 

I am all for added humidity though I did quite well on my last camping trip off the grid.  Are there specific models of exchangers specific to the exact CPAP machine?

thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you very much for the reply!
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-09-2017, 04:38 PM)S.L. Ping Beauty Wrote:
(04-09-2017, 03:41 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: ~snip~..... You can buy an inexpensive heat/moisture exchanger.  This will recirculate some of the exhaled moisture and heat to make CPAP more comfortable without a humidifier.

Sleeprider, tell me more of this exchanger to which you refer.    Is this something that my CPAP store from which I purchase my supplies will be familiar? 

I am all for added humidity though I did quite well on my last camping trip off the grid.  Are there specific models of exchangers specific to the exact CPAP machine?

thanks.

Inexpensive exchange filter fits between mask and hose. https://www.google.com/search?q=cpap+hea...8&oe=utf-8
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hey, thanks!

Every little bit helps make this whole CPAP stuff easier. Seems like a simple device that I am surprised my resp counselor person did not recommend it when inquiring about my need to use the machine on camper battery power.

Appreciate the tip Smile
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Lowenstein Prisma 20A - how can I work out energy usage for camping? JamesD0079 4 628 02-15-2024, 04:16 PM
Last Post: JamesD0079
  Camping with CPAP - any tips? SuperSleeper 43 7,633 10-16-2023, 07:08 PM
Last Post: Hintertux
  [Equipment] CPAP and Camping Dogberto 2 572 07-16-2023, 05:41 PM
Last Post: Dogberto
  CPAP Substitute While Camping or Traveling Liegeinski 10 2,631 01-23-2023, 01:09 AM
Last Post: RainbowFish
  Dry Camping with CPAP ApneaticBill 2 787 06-08-2022, 01:25 PM
Last Post: ApneaticBill
  [Equipment] Cold-weather camping? tundranapper 4 877 05-26-2022, 07:23 AM
Last Post: RNeil
  Small camping CPAP + battery system recommendations Greg_R 0 1,011 10-18-2021, 04:27 PM
Last Post: Greg_R

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.