Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Symptoms] Inhale & Exhale
Question 
Inhale & Exhale
I recently switched from a Swift FX to a Resp. WISP mask because of a bit of sore nasal cavities.  I like the WISP very much and the leaks and CA's have been very minimal. The only issued I am experiencing from time to time is that I am finding it hard to exhale, almost to the point of being claustrophobic. I have turned off the ramp time to see if that will help.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Inhale & Exhale
Are you on fixed pressure at 12/5?
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-09-2017, 09:46 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: Are you on fixed pressure at 12/5?

As far as know yes however I have changed them before.

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-09-2017, 12:09 PM)golfgame Wrote:

Thanks

Hi golfgame,

With bilevel machines like yours, it is important to know what therapy mode the machine is set to.  The therapy mode choices for your machine would be CPAP or S or Vauto.

Most likely, it is in Vauto mode.  In Vauto mode it is important to know all three pressure settings: (1) "Min EPAP" which is the minimum pressure while you are Exhaling, unless the machine temporarily raises it because the machine senses obstructive conditions; (2) "Max IPAP" which is the limit, the highest pressure the machine would ever use while you are actively Inhaling; and (3) "PS" or Pressure Support which is the fixed amount the pressure increases every time you start to inhale, returning back to EPAP when you start to Exhale.

For example, perhaps your Min EPAP is set to 5, Max IPAP is set to 12 and your PS may be 4.  This would mean the machine starts out providing pressure of 5 while exhaling and 9 while inhaling. If snoring or Flow Limitation (partial obstruction during inhalation) or hypopneas or apneas are occuring then the machine may raise the pressures as high as 8 during exhalation and 12 during  inhalation.

If you have been using Vauto mode, I suspect increasing the PS setting by 1 or 2 would eliminate the difficulty you are experiencing with the new mask style. 

Take care,
--- Vaughn
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-09-2017, 03:07 PM)vsheline Wrote:
(04-09-2017, 12:09 PM)golfgame Wrote:

Thanks

Hi golfgame,

With bilevel machines like yours, it is important to know what therapy mode the machine is set to.  The therapy mode choices for your machine would be CPAP or S or Vauto.

Most likely, it is in Vauto mode.  In Vauto mode it is important to know all three pressure settings: (1) "Min EPAP" which is the minimum pressure while you are Exhaling, unless the machine temporarily raises it because the machine senses obstructive conditions; (2) "Max IPAP" which is the limit, the highest pressure the machine would ever use while you are actively Inhaling; and (3) "PS" or Pressure Support which is the fixed amount the pressure increases every time you start to inhale, returning back to EPAP when you start to Exhale.

For example, perhaps your Min EPAP is set to 5, Max IPAP is set to 12 and your PS may be 4.  This would mean the machine starts out providing pressure of 5 while exhaling and 9 while inhaling. If snoring or Flow Limitation (partial obstruction during inhalation) or hypopneas or apneas are occuring then the machine may raise the pressures as high as 8 during exhalation and 12 during  inhalation.

If you have been using Vauto mode, I suspect increasing the PS setting by 1 or 2 would eliminate the difficulty you are experiencing with the new mask style. 

Take care,
--- Vaughn

1. It is set to Vauto
2. Min EPAP = 7
3. Max IPAP = 12
4. PS = 4.0

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Unable to exhale against nasal pillow pressure? jle323 10 4,863 03-04-2024, 11:40 AM
Last Post: Guerc13
  Resmed vibrates on exhale? webweaver 5 827 12-22-2023, 08:22 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  jagged inhale--machine malfunction? mayalass 7 504 10-13-2023, 03:30 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  RESMED F30i Mask causing pulsing on exhale HULK 1 581 09-21-2023, 04:12 PM
Last Post: stevew77
  Normal for exhale peaks to be much greater than inhale peaks? stony82 4 537 09-20-2023, 03:36 PM
Last Post: stony82
  [Symptoms] Difficult to exhale by end of night threerottencats 0 443 08-12-2023, 11:19 AM
Last Post: threerottencats
Sad [Equipment] AIRFIT P10 problems -- too much pressure / can't exhale genieangel 9 9,062 07-13-2023, 10:47 PM
Last Post: Big Dave

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.