[Equipment] Can a ResMed Airsense 10 for HER be used by a man?
SaldusMiegas Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: P-10, F&P Simplus
Humidifier: integrated
CPAP Pressure: Rx:14, Set:Auto 8.0-15.0
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: Woot! P-10 pillows plus Ruby chinstrap for side-sleeping mouth breathers

Sex: Male

RE: Can a ResMed Airsense 10 for HER be used by a man?
We have both machines in our family, and I can confirm there is a "for her" mode on the For Her model that is not an option on the standard machine.

BTW, it looks like this on the clinical menu:

Mode: CPAP, APAP, For Her
---versus---
Mode: CPAP, APAP

I have used both machines and the sleepyhead data showed a significant difference in how the pressures were adjusted upward and downward.

[Image: fxOcWDC.png]

It's not a fundamentally different machine, just has one additional auto-adjust mode.

So it's not just an EPR adjustment, although I am not a sleep tech so I won't say you can't approximate 'for her' mode by cleverly setting the right switches.

So much of compliance in CPAP therapy is finding a way to be comfortable with all the equipment. An extra mode is a good thing, as it provides more chances to find your sweet spot and get better sleep.

Safe bet is to buy the For Her. Similar price more features.

well, lots of good info in this thread, hope this post is useful to you and not just beating a dead horse.

Saldus Miegas
08-31-2016 12:49 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
eseedhouse Online

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed Airsense 10 Autoset
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: SimPlus
Humidifier: ResMed
CPAP Pressure: 7-10
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: Also on supplemental O2 at 3L/min. while sleeping.

I believe the newer Resmed APAPs do have the "for her" algorithm available. Mine doesn't either but several members have posted that their newer A10 airsense machines do have this

Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

I am neither a Doctor, nor any other kind of medical professional.

Actually you know, it is what it isn't.
(This post was last modified: 08-31-2016 08:44 PM by eseedhouse.)
08-31-2016 02:48 PM
Sleepster Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: ResMed AirCurve10 VAuto
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: HumidAir and SlimLine Hose
CPAP Pressure: MaxI 13.6 | MinE 5.2 | PS 4.4

Other Comments: Diagnosed Nov 2011. Conquered aerophagia.

(08-30-2016 09:50 PM)PaytonA Wrote:  Just one more thing. If I was going to buy an Autoset, I would buy the for her version.

Cuz you like the color. Admit it! Smile

Sleepster
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
08-31-2016 06:47 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
PaytonA Offline
Wiki Editor
Monitors

Machine: ResMed S9 VPAP Auto
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: H5i(distilled-top up)
CPAP Pressure: VAuto MinE14.0 MaxI 20.6 PS4.0

Other Comments:

I like the flowers!
09-01-2016 10:50 AM
stephennic Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Trialling a Dreamstation auto and fixed
Mask Make & Model: Philips Amara View
Humidifier: dreamstation
CPAP Pressure: 9 cm
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments:

Hi,
I am a male and was told not to use for her model as its for up to moderate sleep apnea and I have severe sleep apnea. Quoting from Resmed website : "The AirSense™ 10 AutoSet for Her contains the first dedicated algorithm designed to treat mild to moderate obstructive sleep apnea in female patients".
I am trialling one at the moment but I think I prefer the Philips dreamstation as its a bit gentler to breath with but do prefer for her over the normal airsense 10 mode.
Cheers
Steve
09-01-2016 08:49 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
Sleepster Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

(09-01-2016 08:49 PM)stephennic Wrote:  Quoting from Resmed website : "The AirSense™ 10 AutoSet for Her contains the first dedicated algorithm designed to treat mild to moderate obstructive sleep apnea in female patients".

Right, but you can shut that algorithm off and then you have a machine that contains a dedicated algorithm designed to treat mild to severe obstructive sleep apnea in both male and female patients.

Sleepster
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
09-01-2016 09:31 PM
stephennic Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Trialling a Dreamstation auto and fixed
Mask Make & Model: Philips Amara View
Humidifier: dreamstation
CPAP Pressure: 9 cm

Other Comments:

(09-01-2016 09:31 PM)Sleepster Wrote:  
(09-01-2016 08:49 PM)stephennic Wrote:  Quoting from Resmed website : "The AirSense™ 10 AutoSet for Her contains the first dedicated algorithm designed to treat mild to moderate obstructive sleep apnea in female patients".

Right, but you can shut that algorithm off and then you have a machine that contains a dedicated algorithm designed to treat mild to severe obstructive sleep apnea in both male and female patients.
I wonder why they don't say its not for sever apnea, as I would guess some woman do have severe sleep apnea and they then cant use that mode.
If you switch it off then you are not using the airsense for her mode at all is that correct? - just the normal mode on the normal airsense 10.
Cheers
Steve
09-01-2016 10:46 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
PaytonA Offline
Wiki Editor
Monitors

Machine: ResMed S9 VPAP Auto
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: H5i(distilled-top up)
CPAP Pressure: VAuto MinE14.0 MaxI 20.6 PS4.0

Other Comments:

The Airsense 10 autoset for her has 3 selectable modes: straight CPAP, Autoset, and Autoset for Her. If you select *Autoset* it operates the same as if you had gotten an Airsense 10 Autoset.
09-02-2016 08:46 AM
Sleepster Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

(09-01-2016 10:46 PM)stephennic Wrote:  I wonder why they don't say its not for sever apnea, as I would guess some woman do have severe sleep apnea and they then cant use that mode.

And so do men! And men can use the "for her" algorithm, some of them with success.

It's a question of the best way to market a product. Their definition of best is maximum profits, whereas ours is maximum benefit.

Do some market research, get some results that could be used to indicate that women are more likely, on average, to buy a "for her" model than a model that's not for her, and sell the idea to the corporate leaders who hired you to do the marketing.

Sleepster
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

09-02-2016 02:00 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
Snorzzz Offline

Members

Machine: unsure
Mask Type: Not using mask
Mask Make & Model: unsure
Humidifier: yes
CPAP Pressure: 4-15

Other Comments:

(08-10-2016 04:57 PM)green wings Wrote:  Fun, isn't it? It's definitely a case of "buyer beware".
My opinion about the DME people:

1) It's just that it's part of their business model to make you think that you NEED them to help you with "all this complicated stuff."

2) Lots of employees at DMEs don't know what they're talking about, but it is very difficult for a new CPAP user to know that, because we are new to CPAP therapy. It's a lot like buying a car, except you at least know how a car is supposed to work. Fortunately, a CPAP machine doesn't cost as much as a car.

3) If you do find a good DME, having a relationship with them can be very helpful during your first year of CPAP use, mostly for trying on masks.

4) 's reasonable for them to charge more for a mask. If they immediately tell you that you need a very expensive full-face mask, be wary. Basically, the more material in the mask, the more it costs. I would expect a reputable seller to ask me what the technician who did my sleep study said about whether or not I would need a full-face mask. Even if you only had a diagnostic sleep study and not the second, titration-with-CPAP one, the technician probably made a note about whether you slept with your mouth open.

5) take a look at Supplier #2 on the suppliers list at the top of this forum's main page.

6) When you are new to this stuff, there is an overwhelming amount of detail.
OMG all so true.
Thank you for the point to Supplier #2. It appears a very competent "Kim" is going to help me by phone to set up the ResMed to *for him* according to my stats.

The local(s) here in San Diego are maddening. I had an appointment all set up for Sept 19th with Life Care Solutions, gave them all the info along with perscription and insisted whomever tech they assign me have skills to set the machine settings based on my lab report. Called today to confirm. "Oh no, this appointment is just for supplies. We have nothing in the notes about a tech setting up the ResMed 10 for you." Needless to say they are now off my list and i hope the above Kim can do it by phone.

Would prefer to find a mask here locally in person, but gawd i have about lost all faith in that happening.
09-14-2016 04:30 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Cloggd Nose elling with ResMed Airsense 10 AutoSet edmund36 3 78 Today 06:05 PM
Last Post: Mr. Van Winkle
Question ResMed AirSense 10 Badjo17 26 2,538 12-04-2016 09:30 AM
Last Post: Arnie51
  Is this sound normal? - Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset Ronberta 8 1,276 11-29-2016 07:59 PM
Last Post: sonicboom
  [Equipment] ResMed Airsense 10 Quit Working SherrieR 4 258 11-26-2016 07:51 PM
Last Post: trish6hundred
Angry Resmed Airsense/Telstra 2G wireless kerput JamesW 2 220 11-24-2016 11:08 PM
Last Post: JamesW
  ResMed Airsense 10 Auto Set...Runaway Pressure Abnormal86 14 574 11-22-2016 11:39 PM
Last Post: sonicboom
  [Pressure] new airsense 10 new at this abrun7 7 523 11-19-2016 02:12 PM
Last Post: Sleepster