Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Can a ResMed Airsense 10 for HER be used by a man?
Can a ResMed Airsense 10 for HER be used by a man?
My sleep study Dr. recommended an APAP by ResMed. My insurance ended just days before we were able to fill the order. By pure coincidence, a friend of a friend has only used her twice and is willing to sell it to me.
Problem (or not) is hers is the FOR HER model.

Some say it is marketing hype, not a dimes bit of difference between the mens version. Others say it is indeed designed for women and will be ineffective on men.

I need a for a fact answer!
Thank you!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Can a ResMed Airsense 10 for HER be used by a man?
It has purely decorative features designed to be more feminine, but the manufacturer also claims that the algorithm it uses to adjust the pressure is designed especially for the way women breathe.

The problem is that it's very hard to get definitive information on exactly what these algorithms do. Most of what we hear is indeed marketing hype. We do know that they raise pressure in response to flow limitation. How they measure flow limitation is a mystery to me. We can see that when a breathing pattern is characterized by a "chair shape" in the inspiratory (positive) part of the flow rate graph the flow limitation increases and the machine raises the pressure in response. Also, if there is an obstructive apnea or a hypopnea, the pressure increases in response to that. Just how much this differs in the "for her" algorithm is unknown to me.

Since it's a friend, it wouldn't do any harm to ask if you could borrow it to see if it works for you. If it does, and you'll know if it does by looking at the data on your computer, you can pay her for it. If not, you can return it.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
What I heard what there is an additional setting on it for "her", the regular setting remain available. Someone posted someplace what the difference was, but I don't remember it. You can get one and use it or not, so no harm no foul, maybe the pink will go with the pillowcases and drapes Smile JK

Never really could understand this color thing with equipment, but I did by some fry pans to get the ceramic coating and my wife told me she wished I would have asked because she was look at some nice teal ones. Oh-jeez
Post Reply Post Reply
AutoSet for her has the standard CPAP, AutoSet, with an additional AutoSet for Her mode. So none of wha you heard is correct. If you don't like AutoSet for Her, you can just the the regular, manly Grin AutoSet mode.

Myself, I'd be more worried about why a friend only used their CPAP twice. Maybe you can direct her here and we can help her succeed.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Snorzzz,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
On the, "For Her," model, there is an extra feature for women, but there is no reason why men couldn't use that machine, and you might find that the extra feature will help you, as well.
You might see if you can try it before you buy it just to see how you do with it. Hang in there for more suggestions and answers to your question, good luck to you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
It seems user Green Wings found the difference in operational function:
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...#pid168736
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Mongo beat me to it. Green Wings post is very informative. If you do not like the "for Her" option you can still use it as a normal autoset.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-14-2016, 11:18 PM)chill Wrote: Myself, I'd be more worried about why a friend only used their CPAP twice. Maybe you can direct her here and we can help her succeed.

Indeed. That is the issue we struggle with when we get a machine from someone who gave up, or if we just know someone who gave up. I have a friend who should know better, she has a Ph.D. in Public Health and a M.S. in Biology, but she somehow rationalizes that a bit of weight loss and a wedge are all she needs.

I once bought a machine on craigslist from a poor soul who had used his machine only briefly. It's a Series 50 BiPAP Pro with just a few hours of use on it. It's one of two back-up machines I have stored in my closet. I drove an hour to his house to buy it from him. He talked about how he uses oxygen to help him breathe better when he sleeps. I wanted to tell him that all the oxygen in the world won't help you if your airway is blocked, but I knew I'd just be talking him out of making the sale so I kept my mouth shut. It still bothers me that I did that.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-14-2016, 09:03 PM)Sleepster Wrote: Since it's a friend, it wouldn't do any harm to ask if you could borrow it to see if it works for you. If it does, and you'll know if it does by looking at the data on your computer, you can pay her for it. If not, you can return it.
Will the data on the computer be all inclusive? I don't want to forever be wondering "oh, would i get better oxygen and nutrients using another device?" I have blood pressure issues that i am told a CPAP often helps with.

Vs. would another unit for $800 or so just be a waste of money since i am willing to live with the flowers on the cover. Wink Incidentally, this unit is white, not pink. So it really does not look all that femmy.

Post Reply Post Reply
(07-15-2016, 03:29 PM)Sleepster Wrote:
(07-14-2016, 11:18 PM)chill Wrote: Myself, I'd be more worried about why a friend only used their CPAP twice. Maybe you can direct her here and we can help her succeed.

Indeed. That is the issue we struggle with when we get a machine from someone who gave up, or if we just know someone who gave up.
I can assure the board that many opportunities and time was given by the relative who is the go-between to the APAP owner. She is adamant she does not want the machine. That having been said, now that i am aware of this board as a source i will absolutely inform her of this board and encourage her to at least give a look and perhaps post what her obstacle(s) were and are.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 19 361 2 hours ago
Last Post: Pawpri
Angry ResMed AirSense 10 Burn Smell bsullivan 69 25,719 Yesterday, 05:18 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  From DreamStation to AirSense 10 or AirSense 11 xaid 7 613 03-20-2024, 04:57 PM
Last Post: labrat
  Semi-permanently disabling modem in ResMed Airsense 10 Sleep87 109 67,600 03-19-2024, 11:27 PM
Last Post: ivanvargas1
  [Equipment] ResMed AirSense 11 compatible pulse oximeters timtaller 63 25,766 03-16-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: e727147
  What happens when SD card fills? - Resmed Airsense 10 Craigtech 1 227 03-10-2024, 04:12 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Setting time and date on Resmed Airsense 10 cmadon 42 32,176 03-08-2024, 09:13 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.