Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Can a ResMed Airsense 10 for HER be used by a man?
RE: Can a ResMed Airsense 10 for HER be used by a man?
It's a top-of-the-line, latest model auto-adjusting CPAP machine. It doesn't come any better unless you turn out to have needs beyond what a plain CPAP machine can handle (for example, you need a bilevel or ASV machine.)

It has two different algorithms to try. The only improvement I could think of would be if it had the Philips Respironics algorithm included as well, but that's not going to happen.

And it's not pink. The flowers just look kind of sporty to me, not necessarily "feminine". If you don't like the way it looks, you can always have a coat made for it. Denim, tweed, camo - your choice. I'll bet if I look on Etsy I can find a CPAP machine coat. Bigwink

Seriously, it's an excellent machine. It's the one I'd want if I had checked out this board before I let a DME sell me a fixed-pressure-only machine.

P.S. I don't know what price the owner is asking. If it's something fairly high, like 75% of the price of a new machine, then you might want to consider the Philips Respironics 560 AutoSet machines. It's also an excellent auto-adjusting CPAP machine with good data reporting capability. They are going for a really good price now, because a new model came out.

(07-17-2016, 11:53 PM)Snorzzz Wrote:
(07-14-2016, 09:03 PM)Sleepster Wrote: Since it's a friend, it wouldn't do any harm to ask if you could borrow it to see if it works for you. If it does, and you'll know if it does by looking at the data on your computer, you can pay her for it. If not, you can return it.
Will the data on the computer be all inclusive? I don't want to forever be wondering "oh, would i get better oxygen and nutrients using another device?" I have blood pressure issues that i am told a CPAP often helps with.

Vs. would another unit for $800 or so just be a waste of money since i am willing to live with the flowers on the cover. Wink Incidentally, this unit is white, not pink. So it really does not look all that femmy.

Post Reply Post Reply
(07-18-2016, 02:20 PM)green wings Wrote: It's a top-of-the-line, latest model auto-adjusting CPAP machine. It doesn't come any better unless you turn out to have needs beyond what a plain CPAP machine can handle (for example, you need a bilevel or ASV machine.)

Seriously, it's an excellent machine. It's the one I'd want if I had checked out this board before I let a DME sell me a fixed-pressure-only machine.
Thank you. How do i know if i need a bilevel or ASV machine?

Ok, here is the latest for me on As The CPAP Turns.
My doctor who set the sleep lab in motion, but whom now i no longer have insurance for told his assistant to tell me to try X Medical device company. So i call X. X Company guy says the For Her should be fine, but he asks if i am open to other brands. He is open to trading my For Her, but of course he has to see it. So I'm all set to go to X Company when Yelp (a review site for those not in the U.S.) has the following review:

I've been with this company for years I've had nothing but problems billing problems material problems they sent me a CPAP that had mold in it I need this machine to sleep and they send me one with mold when I called and ask about it they say that he watched them pull it out of the box and it was new this was a used machine I've been trying to reach the owner for over three weeks nobody's returning my phone calls I don't even know if he's getting the messages I would not recommend this company for anything stay away from Company X. <end review>
The reviewer posts picture of the mold and the fact it is used.

Along with a 2nd very negative review.

So i try a 2nd medical supply house. The sales rep says he will have his tech call me. Tech never calls. Salesman calls back and says the tech says the For Her simply has different algorythmns and it should be hunkey dorey just great for me.

The actual sleep lab i went to referred me to a med supply house. That rep, a woman said she would not be able to trade but she would hook me up with a 100 hour used Resmed similar model (For Him LOL) for 400 bucks. The 400 would include a trip to my house to calibrate and a mask.

I'm so confused. I really appreciate all the help.
Post Reply Post Reply
Also, not to confuse the issue, however before my insurance ran out, the Dr. said i may be a candidate for the dental device instead of the CPAP. Ok, great, how does one know for a fact which one is better? Isn't this to have been figured out by the sleep lab results?
Post Reply Post Reply
Sorry, I can't answer the dental question, I know my Dr told me there was no way in hell he'd put me onto a dental or a TMJ adjustment device to throw my bottom jaw forward...

As for the "for Her" device, but the "For Her" algorithm has been approved by the FDA... http://www.sleepreviewmag.com/2014/10/20...-products/

Fully
Drugged
Administration

Kinda makes me think of a Pink Floyd song, comfortably numb!
Warning: Eating chocolate may cause your clothes to shrink!
[Image: ry6XtE9.gif] <---- That's ME!
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-18-2016, 02:20 PM)green wings Wrote: P.S. I don't know what price the owner is asking. If it's something fairly high, like 75% of the price of a new machine, then you might want to consider the Philips Respironics 560 AutoSet machines. It's also an excellent auto-adjusting CPAP machine with good data reporting capability. They are going for a really good price now, because a new model came out.
She only want's $100, for real. By way of explanation, her insurance covered most of the $900 for machine and mask and set up. She only had to pay a 200 deductable and only wants 100. I plan on giving her 200 anyways. Incidentally, i know the board had expressed concern for her using the machine herself with the boards help. I checked again, it remains a completely done deal. She wants out, period.

So now i am having the fun of dealing with the medical device / service industry. I trust yourself and the people on this board.

Post Reply Post Reply
For the dental question, that is the way I was originally leaning. The main advantage to this is for people who just can't/won't tolerate *PAP therapy. The two main disadvantages are that it is only effective for mild to moderate apnea and does work for everyone, and over time your bite will change and you will no longer be able to chew normally. This is not reversible. For me that was a deal killer. The dentist that I consulted does research in this area at University of British Columbia and I trust that she knows what she is talking about. For me, I'd rather suck hose than chew funny. But there is a legitimate market for these devices. Only you know what is right for you.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-09-2016, 09:39 PM)Snorzzz Wrote: Also, not to confuse the issue, however before my insurance ran out, the Dr. said i may be a candidate for the dental device instead of the CPAP. Ok, great, how does one know for a fact which one is better? Isn't this to have been figured out by the sleep lab results?

Do you know what your AHI results from your sleep study were? Dental appliances can help mild sleep apnea. From what I've read on this forum, they are supposed to cut your AHI (apnea/hypopnea index) by about 50%. My understanding is that's why they only help mild apnea. If apnea is more severe, an improvement of 50% is not nearly good enough.

A CPAP machine can improve your AHI to 5.0 or better (lots of people on this forum get improvement to 1.0 or less.)

If I was much younger and had an AHI of 10 or less, I might consider trying a dental device. (Oh, did I mention that they can be very pricey, like $4,000 or more and that they generally aren't covered by health insurance?)

I said I might try a dental device if I was much younger, because I have already had problems with arthritis/TMJ in my jaw, so I was worried about even having the pressure of the CPAP mask against my face, much less a device that would deform my bite.

So if you want to consider a dental device, you will want to talk to your doctor about what your AHI value was for your sleep study, and also find out what sort of costs would be involved. Don't forget to ask about visits to adjust the device.

Post Reply Post Reply
Fun, isn't it? It's definitely a case of "buyer beware".

I'm not clear about why you are discussing trading in the "For Her" machine. Is it that you want a new machine? Don't forget that it has two algorithms in it. The "For Her" one plus the "regular" Resmed autoadjusting algorithm (the one in the "For Him" or "Not For Her" machine.)

My opinion about the DME people:

1) there is no need for them to come to your house unless you just want them to do that. A CPAP machine is less complicated than most consumer electronics. You can read the user manual and easily figure out how to use the machine. (Or ask questions on this forum.) I'm not saying it's a bad thing to have them come to your house. It's just that it's part of their business model to make you think that you NEED them to help you with "all this complicated stuff."

2) Lots of employees at DMEs don't know what they're talking about, but it is very difficult for a new CPAP user to know that, because we are new to CPAP therapy. It's a lot like buying a car, except you at least know how a car is supposed to work. Fortunately, a CPAP machine doesn't cost as much as a car.

3) If you do find a good DME, having a relationship with them can be very helpful during your first year of CPAP use, mostly for trying on masks. The fit of CPAP masks is a very individual thing. There are dozens of models of masks available - some of them will work with your face, others won't. If you can't find a DME whose employees seem straight-up, though, I'd rather do the buy a mask online and return it if it doesn't work thing.

4) If you do buy a mask through a DME, be sure to compare their price with an online CPAP supplies vendor's price. The DME's price will be more. If they spend an hour with you helping you to find a mask that fits you, it's reasonable for them to charge more for a mask. If they immediately tell you that you need a very expensive full-face mask, be wary. Basically, the more material in the mask, the more it costs. I would expect a reputable seller to ask me what the technician who did my sleep study said about whether or not I would need a full-face mask. Even if you only had a diagnostic sleep study and not the second, titration-with-CPAP one, the technician probably made a note about whether you slept with your mouth open.

5) If you are thinking about wanting to buy the "For Her" machine and trade it in for another model, you might also take a look at Supplier #2 on the suppliers list at the top of this forum's main page.

6) When you are new to this stuff, there is an overwhelming amount of detail.

(08-09-2016, 10:14 PM)Snorzzz Wrote: So now i am having the fun of dealing with the medical device / service industry. I trust yourself and the people on this board.

Post Reply Post Reply
Can a ResMed Airsense 10 for HER be used by a man?

Only you're willing to cross dress!Dielaughing
Warning: Eating chocolate may cause your clothes to shrink!
[Image: ry6XtE9.gif] <---- That's ME!
Post Reply Post Reply
There are a few reasons that people may need a bilevel CPAP machine rather than a regular CPAP. Bilevel machines come in fixed pressure and autoadjusting just like regular CPAP machines do.

People usually end up with a bilevel machine if they cannot exhale comfortably against the pressure generated from the machine. A plain vanilla CPAP machine does give the option to lower the exhale pressure slightly, but only 2-3 cm H2O (depends on the brand.) Some people may find it uncomfortable to exhale against pressure and need a larger than 2-3 cm difference between their inhalation and exhalation pressures.

Another reason that some people end up with a bilevel machine is air swallowing. It's very common to swallow some air during the first week or two after you start CPAP therapy. Most people stop doing this pretty quickly. Others don't and need to swap their machine for a bilevel machine.

A third reason that people might need a bilevel machine is if their required treatment pressure at some parts of the night is high. Regular CPAP machines generate pressures from 4-20 cm H2O. Some bilevel machines can generate pressures up to 25 cm.

An ASV (adaptive servo ventilation) machine is used to treat sleep apnea that is central in nature, "central" sleep apnea being pauses during breathing while we sleep caused by a problem with our brain signalling our breathing muscles. ASVs also get used for cases of "mixed"/"complex" apnea that are a combination of central apnea and obstructive apnea.

Sometimes the need for a bilevel or ASV machine is detected during a titration sleep study, but for most people, the need emerges when they try to use a CPAP machine and have problems with it. If you had any central apneas during your diagnostic sleep study, that should be noted in your report. Based on the fact that your doctor is telling you that you might be able to use a dental appliance and not use CPAP therapy at all, it would seem that you don't have central apnea.

(08-09-2016, 09:08 PM)Snorzzz Wrote: Thank you. How do i know if i need a bilevel or ASV machine?

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Suggested Settings Switching AirSense 10 CPAP to AirSense 11 APAP Rickyricardo 2 92 04-18-2024, 11:58 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 53 1,476 04-18-2024, 05:25 PM
Last Post: Pawpri
  Resmed Airsense 10 time to return to low pressure setting jfchap 3 143 04-13-2024, 03:54 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Angry ResMed AirSense 10 Burn Smell bsullivan 74 27,028 04-11-2024, 09:33 PM
Last Post: her.suit
  Extremely high CA readings on the ResMed Airsense 11 Soleil211 1 141 04-08-2024, 11:37 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Semi-permanently disabling modem in ResMed Airsense 10 Sleep87 109 68,175 03-19-2024, 11:27 PM
Last Post: ivanvargas1
  [Equipment] ResMed AirSense 11 compatible pulse oximeters timtaller 63 27,688 03-16-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: e727147

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.