Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Can a ResMed Airsense 10 for HER be used by a man?
RE: Can a ResMed Airsense 10 for HER be used by a man?
We have both machines in our family, and I can confirm there is a "for her" mode on the For Her model that is not an option on the standard machine.

BTW, it looks like this on the clinical menu:

Mode: CPAP, APAP, For Her
---versus---
Mode: CPAP, APAP

I have used both machines and the sleepyhead data showed a significant difference in how the pressures were adjusted upward and downward.

[Image: fxOcWDC.png]

It's not a fundamentally different machine, just has one additional auto-adjust mode.

So it's not just an EPR adjustment, although I am not a sleep tech so I won't say you can't approximate 'for her' mode by cleverly setting the right switches.

So much of compliance in CPAP therapy is finding a way to be comfortable with all the equipment. An extra mode is a good thing, as it provides more chances to find your sweet spot and get better sleep.

Safe bet is to buy the For Her. Similar price more features.

well, lots of good info in this thread, hope this post is useful to you and not just beating a dead horse.

Saldus Miegas
Post Reply Post Reply
I believe the newer Resmed APAPs do have the "for her" algorithm available. Mine doesn't either but several members have posted that their newer A10 airsense machines do have this
Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply
(08-30-2016, 09:50 PM)PaytonA Wrote: Just one more thing. If I was going to buy an Autoset, I would buy the for her version.

Cuz you like the color. Admit it! Smile
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I like the flowers!

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi,
I am a male and was told not to use for her model as its for up to moderate sleep apnea and I have severe sleep apnea. Quoting from Resmed website : "The AirSense™ 10 AutoSet for Her contains the first dedicated algorithm designed to treat mild to moderate obstructive sleep apnea in female patients".
I am trialling one at the moment but I think I prefer the Philips dreamstation as its a bit gentler to breath with but do prefer for her over the normal airsense 10 mode.
Cheers
Steve
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-01-2016, 08:49 PM)stephennic Wrote: Quoting from Resmed website : "The AirSense™ 10 AutoSet for Her contains the first dedicated algorithm designed to treat mild to moderate obstructive sleep apnea in female patients".

Right, but you can shut that algorithm off and then you have a machine that contains a dedicated algorithm designed to treat mild to severe obstructive sleep apnea in both male and female patients.

Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-01-2016, 09:31 PM)Sleepster Wrote:
(09-01-2016, 08:49 PM)stephennic Wrote: Quoting from Resmed website : "The AirSense™ 10 AutoSet for Her contains the first dedicated algorithm designed to treat mild to moderate obstructive sleep apnea in female patients".

Right, but you can shut that algorithm off and then you have a machine that contains a dedicated algorithm designed to treat mild to severe obstructive sleep apnea in both male and female patients.
I wonder why they don't say its not for sever apnea, as I would guess some woman do have severe sleep apnea and they then cant use that mode.
If you switch it off then you are not using the airsense for her mode at all is that correct? - just the normal mode on the normal airsense 10.
Cheers
Steve
Post Reply Post Reply
The Airsense 10 autoset for her has 3 selectable modes: straight CPAP, Autoset, and Autoset for Her. If you select *Autoset* it operates the same as if you had gotten an Airsense 10 Autoset.

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-01-2016, 10:46 PM)stephennic Wrote: I wonder why they don't say its not for sever apnea, as I would guess some woman do have severe sleep apnea and they then cant use that mode.

And so do men! And men can use the "for her" algorithm, some of them with success.

It's a question of the best way to market a product. Their definition of best is maximum profits, whereas ours is maximum benefit.

Do some market research, get some results that could be used to indicate that women are more likely, on average, to buy a "for her" model than a model that's not for her, and sell the idea to the corporate leaders who hired you to do the marketing.
Sleepster

Post Reply Post Reply
(08-10-2016, 04:57 PM)green wings Wrote: Fun, isn't it? It's definitely a case of "buyer beware".
My opinion about the DME people:

1) It's just that it's part of their business model to make you think that you NEED them to help you with "all this complicated stuff."

2) Lots of employees at DMEs don't know what they're talking about, but it is very difficult for a new CPAP user to know that, because we are new to CPAP therapy. It's a lot like buying a car, except you at least know how a car is supposed to work. Fortunately, a CPAP machine doesn't cost as much as a car.

3) If you do find a good DME, having a relationship with them can be very helpful during your first year of CPAP use, mostly for trying on masks.

4) 's reasonable for them to charge more for a mask. If they immediately tell you that you need a very expensive full-face mask, be wary. Basically, the more material in the mask, the more it costs. I would expect a reputable seller to ask me what the technician who did my sleep study said about whether or not I would need a full-face mask. Even if you only had a diagnostic sleep study and not the second, titration-with-CPAP one, the technician probably made a note about whether you slept with your mouth open.

5) take a look at Supplier #2 on the suppliers list at the top of this forum's main page.

6) When you are new to this stuff, there is an overwhelming amount of detail.
OMG all so true.
Thank you for the point to Supplier #2. It appears a very competent "Kim" is going to help me by phone to set up the ResMed to *for him* according to my stats.

The local(s) here in San Diego are maddening. I had an appointment all set up for Sept 19th with Life Care Solutions, gave them all the info along with perscription and insisted whomever tech they assign me have skills to set the machine settings based on my lab report. Called today to confirm. "Oh no, this appointment is just for supplies. We have nothing in the notes about a tech setting up the ResMed 10 for you." Needless to say they are now off my list and i hope the above Kim can do it by phone.

Would prefer to find a mask here locally in person, but gawd i have about lost all faith in that happening.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 25 454 2 minutes ago
Last Post: Old Steve
Angry ResMed AirSense 10 Burn Smell bsullivan 70 25,808 5 hours ago
Last Post: her.suit
  From DreamStation to AirSense 10 or AirSense 11 xaid 7 619 03-20-2024, 04:57 PM
Last Post: labrat
  Semi-permanently disabling modem in ResMed Airsense 10 Sleep87 109 67,616 03-19-2024, 11:27 PM
Last Post: ivanvargas1
  [Equipment] ResMed AirSense 11 compatible pulse oximeters timtaller 63 25,806 03-16-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: e727147
  What happens when SD card fills? - Resmed Airsense 10 Craigtech 1 228 03-10-2024, 04:12 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Setting time and date on Resmed Airsense 10 cmadon 42 32,184 03-08-2024, 09:13 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.