Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Cant figure out the Ramp Button?
Cant figure out the Ramp Button?
Trying to get the hubby to use his CPAP machine etc.

I overwhelmed him 2 nights ago when it went on full blast without a period of ramp time.
We both have the same POCrap machine, ESCAPE but on mine, when in the Home area, I can press on it and set my time to 45 minutes and go to sleep easily.

On his i keep trying and no matter what I do it won't change from 10 minutes. Is it possible on this machine that the guy who set it up prevented it from being set to a longer ramp period? or even shorter for 10 mins is all it will show.
Theres no way he's going to get used to it short of 35/45 minutes..

I gather when you get to the Ramp area, you are to turn the dial so the numbers will go up or down and when you find the number you want, you press it when its orange, wait for it to turn blue and then you are set.
Any time I turn the dial instead of new numbers, it goes to Humidity Levels.

I just can't seem to figure it out.
I build computers, etc but i think this machine and the buttons and dials they use are not well set up.
I believe they overcomplicated the process which was not necessary.

If the person that set this DID make sure it stayed at 10 is there any reason that 10 is thought of as the ideal ramp time by any chance?

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Cant figure out the Ramp Button?
I do not have any experience with even thre S9 bricks. My machine is an S8. On my machine there is a place in the clinical menu to set the maximum ramp that the patient may set. Maybe this is where your hubby's problem is coming from. I also do not remember how tho get to the clinical menus for the S9 machines. If you do not know how, then someone can give you directions to download the clinical handbook which will tell you how to get to the clinical menu (I think).

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
I am a long-time XPAP patient, and I personally dislike the ramp feature. I find that I am more comfortable to disable the ramp and quickly proceed to the selected pressure. I used a BiPAP mode for many years at 14/10 and followed the no-ramp practice, and I am now using only the CPAP mode. My present machine (DeVilbiss Intellipap) does incorporate about a ten second buildup to the target pressure. When I have tried a ramped turn-on, I always felt starved for air during the ramp interval.

TheDuke
Post Reply Post Reply
I would assume that your max ramp was set to 10 accidently. I would call your DME and ask them to turn it up to 45.

Ramp is great for patients that need it to help get used to the pressure.

There are a couple downsides of ramp though. If your ramp time is set too long (let's say 45 min) and you go to sleep in 2 min, you may still have apneas because your pressure doesn't get high enough to prevent them. My goal is to have you hit your set pressure within 10 min of getting to sleep. If it takes you 20, I set the ramp to 30. The other downside is patients will set their mask "tightness" so that it doesn't leak when they first turn the air on and it is on a lower pressure. Then after they go to sleep and the pressure builds (or they move a bit), the mask leaks and they wake up.
Post Reply Post Reply
Have you consulted the Clinician's Manual for your machines? You can find/order the desired manuals by clicking on the CPAP Setup Manuals, at the top of each web-page?

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. 
ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
Post Reply Post Reply
Assuming this is like my S9 Elite in this area, there's a setting in the clinician area where they can set the max ramp time. They set it to 10 minutes. So it's limiting the user choices to 10 minutes or less. Just find your clinician manual to figure out the key combo that gets you into those settings and change your max ramp time.
Post Reply Post Reply
I think they have got it figured out for you. I too don't use the ramp, want to test the pressure for leaks. Is his pressure high? Shouldn't be that dramatic I guess depending on the mask. My pillows at 12/13 don't bother me at all. I hope you guys both get some good results.
Good luck
Doc J
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-13-2014, 12:42 PM)jaycee Wrote: I would assume that your max ramp was set to 10 accidently. I would call your DME and ask them to turn it up to 45.

Actually, we advocate self empowerment. We provide the clinician manuals whenever possible so that the end user can do all this themselves, gaining full control over their own health. There's no reason they should have to go to the DME just to get the ramp turned up. Or turned on. Or see the detailed daily report.

ShelaghDB Wrote:I gather when you get to the Ramp area, you are to turn the dial so the numbers will go up or down and when you find the number you want, you press it when its orange, wait for it to turn blue and then you are set.

You don't need to wait for it to turn blue. Just tap the button on the dial and it will change to blue.

Don't you have the clinician manual for your machine? The ramp time limit is inside that Sooper Sekrit area for some stupid reason. If you don't have it, you can find it here:
http://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-pr...tup-manual

Also, you don't want the ramp going longer than it takes him to go to sleep. You want him getting the full treatment pressure as quickly as possible. I suggest setting it to being capable of the full range but only going to 15 at first. If he needs it beyond that, then go to 20, etc.

Then, have him sit up with it on during the day. Get used to it. I really don't like the ramp feature. Once I got used to the pressure, I found I was having difficulty breathing while the ramp was on. So I made it longer. And it was taking me longer to get to sleep. Finally, I turned the ramp off. Took me maybe a few nights to get used to the WHAM at the beginning, but all I did was pull off the mask a little, put it back on, and try again. Now, it starts at 14 and I barely notice.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for all the answers on this. I didn't answer sooner as we were having problems with it. Unfortunately the hubby has given up on this machine and will not be using it at all.

Fortunately, his sleep apnea is so borderline the doctor was very reluctant to give him a machine at all and told him he just needed to lose a bit of weight and he wouldn't have any problem.

I did try everything however to get him to use it but the combination of him feeling too claustrophobic and the doctor telling him he was really just borderline with the Sleep Apnea caused him to get it fixed in his head that he didn't need to go through this for something he apparently doesn't really have.

So seeing that he only has 5 minutes on that machine and it can't be returned, Ive just put t up for sale on Kijiji in my home city although I doubt anyone will want to buy an Escape LOL

BUT I STILL HAVE ONE QUESTION...........

I get very confused with the on button on my machine

If I press that button, the on button, which is on the far left hand side of the machine and turn the machine ON, I can't see the Ramp feature.
It disappears. I can only see the feature for the humidity level.
Which means if I turn it on, the machine that is, I can't use the ramp feature on mine, right? Since it doesn't show up.
And if the machine is off, and i press it for 10 min. lets say, nothing happens. No air.

So if I press it, then I MUST press the on button.......so doesn't that more or less wipe out what I pressed for how would it work if I can only see the icon for it when the machine is actually turned off?

Does anyone understand what i saying or trying to say here?
Post Reply Post Reply
You set your ramp time BEFORE turning the air on. If you have your ramp time set, when you turn your machine on it will start at the ramp starting pressure. On the bottom of your screen you would see a little ramp symbol and then a small number which shows what your pressure is starting off at.

You only have to hit the start/stop button once to turn everything on. Once you get your ramp time (the time it takes to get from the lower starting pressure up the higher pressure ordered by the doctor) and your humidity level (whatever you feel comfortable with)where you want them, you only have to hit your start/stop to operate your machine.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NOTICE: "REPLY with Quote" button - Don't use it if you don't have to SuperSleeper 3 13,139 Yesterday, 08:26 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  [CPAP] Can Anyone Help me figure out what this is? jmperez1013 1 160 03-11-2024, 08:11 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Sudden onset of desats - can't figure out why MCS2014 7 331 02-26-2024, 08:25 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Dreamstation 2 ramp time Sir Snoresalot 4 399 01-08-2024, 08:35 AM
Last Post: StratCat48
  Help me figure out what I have? neopeius 0 258 09-19-2023, 02:56 PM
Last Post: neopeius
  Question re ramp up/starting pressure airsense 11 rebean 3 600 07-17-2023, 01:58 PM
Last Post: Melman
  [Equipment] Help me figure out Resmed P10 problem rebean 4 539 06-25-2023, 08:18 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.