Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Car camping for two CPAP users
Idea 
Car camping for two CPAP users
Hello, first thread here! My wife and I both use CPAP machines, and we're going camping for two nights at the beginning of August. We need an affordable (as cheap as possible) set-up to power our machines. My machine info is in my profile. My wife has the ResMed AirSense 10 with a Humid Air humidifier and the heated tube.

Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Car camping for two CPAP users
You'll each need the 12V to 24V converter for the S9 and A10. They are different due to the machine's plug.
Do not try to run them off your car's battery, you be stuck with a no start battery state.
I recommend a Deep Cycle Sealed Lead-Acid 12V battery separate from car's electrical system.
You can do some engineering and rig the car to charge the SLA battery during the day when the car is running.
Turn off your humidifiers to save power. I suggest the Optima D31A, 75 Amp-Hr Battery.
It's not a cheap setup, the converters alone will be about $100 USD each.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi prime8,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
There are quite a few camping threads here on the board.
If you go down to the end of this thread, you will see a heading called "Possibly Related Threads" and you'll find several camping and battery threads there.
Hang in there for more suggestions and answers to your questions.
Have fun camping.
Much success to both of you as you continue your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-05-2015, 08:58 PM)justMongo Wrote: You'll each need the 12V to 24V converter for the S9 and A10. They are different due to the machine's plug.

Yup - that's one of the problems with the Resmeds since they switched to the 24 V eunuchs, er, units. No direct DC connection like in the old S8 days.

But, once you get to that point, they do run fairly low drains without heated humidification. Do not try to run the heaters. If you must have humidification, try going the passive route. Respironics has a humidifier tray contraption that can go between the blower and the mask.

See thee battery guide at
http://www.resmed.com/us/dam/documents/a...lo_eng.pdf

Hey, at least Resmed DOES put out a battery guide for their products.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you, everyone! Time totally got away from me, so sorry for the way late response to your suggestions.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-05-2015, 02:48 PM)prime8 Wrote: Hello, first thread here! My wife and I both use CPAP machines, and we're going camping for two nights at the beginning of August. We need an affordable (as cheap as possible) set-up to power our machines. My machine info is in my profile. My wife has the ResMed AirSense 10 with a Humid Air humidifier and the heated tube.

This runs me and my wife, with humidifier on high, and a small fan, for one night:

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...tery_power

If you want two nights, you'll need a way to recharge the battery or will need a second battery.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-05-2015, 08:58 PM)justMongo Wrote: You'll each need the 12V to 24V converter for the S9 and A10. They are different due to the machine's plug.
Do not try to run them off your car's battery, you be stuck with a no start battery state.
I recommend a Deep Cycle Sealed Lead-Acid 12V battery separate from car's electrical system.
You can do some engineering and rig the car to charge the SLA battery during the day when the car is running.
Turn off your humidifiers to save power. I suggest the Optima D31A, 75 Amp-Hr Battery.

Supplier 26 has the S9 DC-DC converter for $84.95 and free shipping for orders over $99. I bought both S9 and A10 DC-DC converters from them. The A10 had some "loyalty bucks" discount from buying the S9 converter and was a similar price. I'm sure you could call them directly and negotiate something for both.

I think 35 amp-hour AGM wheelchair/scooter batteries are the way to go. You can find them for $65 with free shipping on Amazon. They only weigh 25 pounds so they're no big deal to lug around. Two 35 amp-hour AGM batteries in parallel will be much cheaper than an Optima D31A and I wouldn't want to lug around a 60 pound battery.

I already owned a battery charger but I bought a low power Battery Tender Junior to keep the battery topped up. They're $24-ish on Amazon or at Walmart.

If you just fill the humidifier tank with warm water and disable the humidifier and heated hose, you should get several days out of a 35 amp-hour battery or two people/1 night out of the battery. If you're camping in the desert, you probably need way more battery to run the humidifier.

Post Reply Post Reply
(07-30-2015, 03:13 PM)Terry Wrote:
(07-05-2015, 02:48 PM)prime8 Wrote: Hello, first thread here! My wife and I both use CPAP machines, and we're going camping for two nights at the beginning of August. We need an affordable (as cheap as possible) set-up to power our machines. My machine info is in my profile. My wife has the ResMed AirSense 10 with a Humid Air humidifier and the heated tube.

This runs me and my wife, with humidifier on high, and a small fan, for one night:

<link removed because of forum rules>

If you want two nights, you'll need a way to recharge the battery or will need a second battery.

Thanks for this! My wife's machine has the humidifier built-in and uses a heated tube, so this might be a better option. We're going on the trip tomorrow, so I unfortunately can't order anything online.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-30-2015, 07:57 PM)prime8 Wrote: Thanks for this! My wife's machine has the humidifier built-in and uses a heated tube, so this might be a better option. We're going on the trip tomorrow, so I unfortunately can't order anything online.

It works like a champ!

We were the envy of the campground. 8-)

Post Reply Post Reply
Alright, so I actually have a Cobra brand 400 watt power inverter already. That means I only need to get a deep cycle battery, right?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclaimation [News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS Sleeprider 2,961 352,069 03-20-2024, 02:21 PM
Last Post: btreger
  Lowenstein Prisma 20A - how can I work out energy usage for camping? JamesD0079 4 623 02-15-2024, 04:16 PM
Last Post: JamesD0079
  [CPAP] Breas Z2 users? acctingman 18 3,156 10-30-2023, 09:58 AM
Last Post: MontezumasViper
  Any Resmed AirSense 10 users near Bend OR? I’m traveling and need help. Mbranning 4 554 10-24-2023, 11:35 PM
Last Post: Mbranning
  Camping with CPAP - any tips? SuperSleeper 43 7,630 10-16-2023, 07:08 PM
Last Post: Hintertux
  New to CPAP - on week 4 of 6 week trial - Any Sefam S.Box users out there? Kingsway 14 1,714 07-26-2023, 02:59 PM
Last Post: dbcpap
  WARNING to CPAP Users: PREPARE for the Unexpected - When the power goes out SuperSleeper 231 120,243 07-21-2023, 05:07 AM
Last Post: baffled

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.