Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Central Apnea
Central Apnea
I have been using a Resmed Aircurve 10 ST A since Jan 9 2020 after a sleep test and complaining that I was having problems using a c-pap machine - I used to wake gasping for air and pulling my mask off, they decided to change me to a bi-pap machine and that did away with the waking short of breath but my AHI has not really changed that much and I am always tired during the day I honestly feel better when I am not using the machine but I was told to persevere  with it and I am. My average AHI is 37 some nights are lower and some are in the 40`s . I would appreciate any feedback.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Central Apnea
We could offer better help if you will post an OSCAR Daily screenshot (use F12 to take it) that is representative of an average night. Please make sure that you are using the latest release of OSCAR, which is 1.3.0. This version addresses some anomalies with your CPAP model.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
That's astonishingly high AHI on CPAP! It means your current settings aren't working for you. Did your doctor know the AHI when he/she told you simply to persevere?
Post Reply Post Reply
The ST-A is not the right machine for your central apnea. You should be using ASV which is a less expensive machine. Please read the Resmed Sleep Clinic Titration Guide https://document.resmed.com/en-us/docume...er_eng.pdf This document will tell you the intended purpose of each of the machines in the Resmed lineup. Let's compare ST-A (page 34) and ASV (page 28).

The ASV is intended to treat Central or mixed apneas, complex sleep apnea, and Periodic Breathing (PB)
The ST-A iVAPS or ST modes are intended to treat COPD, Restrictive thoracic or neuromuscular disease, pulmonary disorders, obesity hypoventilation syndrome and other respiratory conditions.

The Titration Guide will help you to understand and optimize your machine, but more importantly it demonstrates you have likely been prescribed the wrong device. If you do not have difficulty breathing an adequate volume of air due to pulmonary disease or the listed disorders, then you should have been put on ASV which works brilliantly on central and complex apnea patients. I think you are using ST mode on your ST-A and we can try to help you optimize those results, however you really should be complaining to your doctor to make a correct and recognized prescription for your specific problem. with the ST-A, you are the round peg being driven into a square hole.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yet another wrong machine for Centrals.

What's all the settings being used now? I've used ST-A a bit and we can get you maybe a bit better experience, but you need ASV.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
What the others have said. ASV is specifically designed for centrals and I'm infuriated that any doctor would leave a patient with that level of events and not do something (says I, the person who just spent most of a year with those levels of apneas and higher while on CPAP waiting for ASV).

As others have said, post some charts to see if the more knowledgeable members who have had experience with BiPAP can at least try and make things a bit better for you. Also Welcome Smile
Post Reply Post Reply

I have attached screen shots as requested hope this is what you wanted and hope this will give me something to discuss with my Dr.
My machine is a loan machine so I am not sure how happy they would be with me messing about with settings but they are approachable
so I might call them and discuss it with them but I think they are most likely to refer me back to my Dr.
Thanks for your input.
Post Reply Post Reply
Goodness that looks like it feels awful...

I can see for myself that the machine is completely limited to a fixed pressure and it looks like you have the ramp on. Do you need that in order to get used to the higher pressures? If not, it's probably going to be suggested that you turn it off, because during that 20 minutes, you aren't at the full therapy pressure and if you are having events, the machine doesn't mark them.

Other than that, I'm going to leave those members familiar with the Resmed VPAPs to help with settings.
Post Reply Post Reply
Do you have some way of knowing that these hypopneas are central in nature (rather than obstructive)? For example, did you have a bunch of central hypopneas flagged in your sleep study? Anything else you can tell us about how your doctor arrived at the diagnosis of central apnea?
Post Reply Post Reply
p.s. I'm not questioning the diagnosis but trying to understand more about your current condition.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Central while on ASV Boodmaster 11 2,512 03-26-2024, 02:37 AM
Last Post: Boodmaster
  [Treatment] Clear airway / central apnea events -- causes and solutions? mitzvahtime 6 2,395 03-25-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 608 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  please help me make sense of my central apneas p4ncaketim 23 536 03-24-2024, 06:21 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Fixing (CPAP-induced?) central apneas Franko39 17 852 03-21-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: Franko39
  Central Sleeping Apnea treatment ivan007 5 211 03-21-2024, 12:52 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Central events while falling asleep michaelyu15 7 264 03-20-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: michaelyu15

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.