Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Chin Straps
If you use a chin strap on a regular basis, why? That is, what is it that lets you know you need to wear a chin strap?
Sleepster
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Hey Sleepster,
First I want to thank you for the help on my question about chinstraps and clostraphobia a few days ago on the forum.

The reason I use a chin strap is because I needed something to keep my mouth shut during sleep, being the jawflapper that I am, (Ha-Ha-Ha-Ha.)
The way I knew that I needed one is that when I roll over on my back I really had trouble with keeping my mouth closed, I needed a little help, don'tcha know, (Ha-Ha.) Though they are a bit of a pain in the butt, they do help.
I hope this comes through to you ok this is my second post and this blog stuff is a bit new to me.
Take care, trish6hundred
quote='Sleepster' pid='10549' dateline='1337622922']
If you use a chin strap on a regular basis, why? That is, what is it that lets you know you need to wear a chin strap?
[/quote]

trish6hundred
(05-21-2012, 04:37 PM)trish6hundred Wrote: First I want to thank you for the help on my question about chinstraps and clostraphobia a few days ago on the forum.

You're welcome.

Quote:The way I knew that I needed one is that when I roll over on my back I really had trouble with keeping my mouth closed, I needed a little help, don'tcha know, (Ha-Ha.) Though they are a bit of a pain in the butt, they do help.

But, how did you find that out? Did you wake up, lying on your back, with air hissing out?

Quote:I hope this comes through to you ok this is my second post and this blog stuff is a bit new to me.

I think you're getting the hang of it! :grin:
Sleepster
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Hi Trish, this is SuperSleeper.

Good to see you made it here and found out how to post a message. Are you using speech recognition software or are you typing the replies?

I would assume that you're using text-to-speech software. Is that correct?

Seems like it worked just fine.

Have a super day!

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

(05-21-2012, 05:04 PM)Sleepster Wrote:
(05-21-2012, 04:37 PM)trish6hundred Wrote: First I want to thank you for the help on my question about chinstraps and clostraphobia a few days ago on the forum.

You're welcome.

Quote:The way I knew that I needed one is that when I roll over on my back I really had trouble with keeping my mouth closed, I needed a little help, don'tcha know, (Ha-Ha.) Though they are a bit of a pain in the butt, they do help.

But, how did you find that out? Did you wake up, lying on your back, with air hissing out?

Quote:I hope this comes through to you ok this is my second post and this blog stuff is a bit new to me.

I think you're getting the hang of it! :grin:

trish6hundred
Hey Sleepster,

Yes, I woke up to hearing me sound like a bird flapping it's wings because my bottom lip flapped against the mask when I rolled over on my back. I also woke up my husbamd Sam who is a very light sleeper and that's when I knew I needed to do something.
Take care, trish6hundred 
(05-21-2012, 04:37 PM)trish6hundred Wrote: Hey Sleepster,
First I want to thank you for the help on my question about chinstraps and clostraphobia a few days ago on the forum.

The reason I use a chin strap is because I needed something to keep my mouth shut during sleep, being the jawflapper that I am, (Ha-Ha-Ha-Ha.)
The way I knew that I needed one is that when I roll over on my back I really had trouble with keeping my mouth closed, I needed a little help, don'tcha know, (Ha-Ha.) Though they are a bit of a pain in the butt, they do help.
I hope this comes through to you ok this is my second post and this blog stuff is a bit new to me.
Take care, trish6hundred
quote='Sleepster' pid='10549' dateline='1337622922']

[/quote]

trish6hundred

I was waking up 5 or 6 times per night with an extremely, beyond description, dry mouth. Finally decided that it was due to my mouth opening and the air drying me out. Since the addition of a chin strap the occurrence is down to once each few nights, but I refuse to tighten the danged thing down any further.
I was the one that discovered that my GF was mouth breathing. She would wake me up several times per night. It sounded like I was sleeping next to Darth Vader with a runny nose Dielaughing
(05-21-2012, 09:58 PM)trish6hundred Wrote: Yes, I woke up to hearing me sound like a bird flapping it's wings because my bottom lip flapped against the mask when I rolled over on my back. I also woke up my husbamd Sam who is a very light sleeper and that's when I knew I needed to do something.

I see what you mean. Kinda gives a new meaning to the term "blabbermouth". Dielaughing
Sleepster
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

(05-22-2012, 01:39 AM)mckevin32 Wrote: I was waking up 5 or 6 times per night with an extremely, beyond description, dry mouth. Finally decided that it was due to my mouth opening and the air drying me out. Since the addition of a chin strap the occurrence is down to once each few nights, but I refuse to tighten the danged thing down any further.

I hear ya'. Mine's about as tight as I can stand it!
Sleepster
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Proper care for head straps for nasal mask Southerngent1 5 238 01-05-2017, 08:21 PM
Last Post: dwd1249
  Amara View - Straps Aggravate TMJ Disorder oldbushie 4 226 12-17-2016, 09:19 AM
Last Post: oldbushie
  Soft cervical collar: a tip for mouth breathing and chin tucking Visitor 44 4,288 12-06-2016, 11:43 AM
Last Post: PaytonA
  New Chin Strap experiment tonight FrankNichols 4 451 09-13-2016, 03:41 PM
Last Post: BadGoodDeb
  Need help/advice with chin strap Lanco 11 844 09-10-2016, 04:10 PM
Last Post: pupcamper
  Best chin straps for women somnia16 2 301 08-28-2016, 08:37 PM
Last Post: zonk
  Chin strap and duct tape SaldusMiegas 8 712 07-06-2016, 08:15 PM
Last Post: PaytonA