Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Cleaning smoke odour out of machine
Cleaning smoke odour out of machine
So I saw a ResMed Airsense 10 Autoset for her with 2000 hours on a classified site (kijiji), thought it would be good to have a backup machine. He wanted $500, I offered $400, he accepted.  Deal was done in the hallway outside his apartment.  When I got home, I discovered that it reeked of smoke, and not the tobacco kind.  I would die of asthma in the night if I used it.

No problem, I removed the #37310 air outlet and immersed it in isopropyl alcohol for a while.  Helped a bit but basically no joy.

So I filled the water reservoir with 2/3 isopropyl alcohol, 1/3 distilled water and looped the hose around to the air intake and ran it for 8 hours.  Helped a bit but machine still not usable.

I think the pump itself is full of Willie Nelson.

So then I got a Dewey brass cleaning rod (usually used for cleaning handgun barrels) and a new CM-2 cleaning mop, soaked it with alcohol and ran it in and out of the intake port.  Did not help much as far as I can tell.

Basically I am looking at eating the $400 because I'm not willing to sell it on, in this condition.  Unless anyone has suggestions?  I am willing to do about an hour of assembly/disassembly and cleaning, if there is a reasonable chance it will go back together without too many parts left over.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Cleaning smoke odour out of machine
You might try Ozium. It is an aerosol product, often sold in automotive stores or on Amazon, CVS pharmacies, etc. It is a glycolized air sanitizer. In addition to deodorizing cars, hotel rooms and other commercial uses, pot heads have found it even eliminates evidence of their smoking activity. It really kills cigarette smoke, but you don't want to inhale this stuff, or spray it directly into the machine.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Crimson Nape. Is the best technique to spray the Ozium on the fabric intake filter and run machine for a few hours?
Post Reply Post Reply
You got me on that one.  I've only used this product after taking someone flying that had a full stomach.  I think I might try turning on the CPAP and then spray it into the intake and let it run for a minute or two to dry out.  Someone else here may know better.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Here is a post by SleepRider discussing using Ozium he sprayed it on a cloth and left it near the intake and run the machine

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...#pid149924
Post Reply Post Reply
I brought back a PRS1 BiPAP 760 that reeked of cigarettes using hte Ozium technique. A real sink for odor are any silicon seals in the machine and outlet, and those can be purchased at a low price. The humidifier outlet is replaceable as is the humidifier container and silicone seal. I have not seen the seals to the blower outlet, but I'm sure they must be around. Ozium seems to work pretty good, and while I would not use an Ozone cleaner routinely, it may help to oxidize the organic deposits in the blower section. I don't think the fan should be a big reservoir of odor, and that is the only part you really can't access.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  cleaning CPAP tube sleepingbetterinFl 6 222 03-14-2024, 10:34 AM
Last Post: apnea505
  [Equipment] ResMed Airtouch F20 Cushion cleaning with drool problems. Funkmonkey 2 169 03-05-2024, 04:08 PM
Last Post: Funkmonkey
Money cleaning thread? TinyBubbles 19 7,795 02-27-2024, 10:57 AM
Last Post: Frankiboy
  One-Piece Water Chamber Cleaning Davebr60 0 183 02-26-2024, 11:12 PM
Last Post: Davebr60
  Cleaning CPAP & AirTouch F20 Mask PoutinePrincess 2 343 02-10-2024, 11:14 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Using cleaning brushes in heated tubing TiredTom111 9 607 01-29-2024, 08:30 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Mold issue / cleaning CPAP (the unit, not tubing), Resmed S9 NightOwl42 9 757 01-19-2024, 11:29 PM
Last Post: NightOwl42

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.