Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 14-20
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, Hypermobility Type; chronic sarcasm

Sex: Undisclosed

ClimateLine problem
We had a death in the family and I just spent a lot of time traveling. Eight nights in 8 different hotels, all with hard to reach outlets. (except the Motel 6 where its abundance of outlets was the only reason we did not demand our money back and go elsewhere)

One night, I was so tired, I didn't feel like hooking everything up, just the main half and the mask. But the ClimateLine hose didn't fit right. So I put in the H5i half but, even with climateline and humidifier off, the air smelled like it was on. (like the water had boiled out of the pan kind of smell)

So my questions are thus:

1 - is there an adapter to make the climateline hose fit the non-humidifier half? (turning the hose around did not work as the mask's hose would not fit that end)

2 - i have the setting for the humidifer turned to OFF. This means the humidifier and climateline is off, right? Or just the hose is off? Why did I smell the hot air if it was set to OFF? With water in the tank, the smell was gone. The setting goes from OFF to 60something F to over 80F (I usually keep it on 80F or OFF)

3 - if I have to take 2 hoses, how do I keep the non-climateline hose clean enough between uses? Clean well and put in sealed bag?
03-13-2012 10:06 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
JumpStart Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: ResMed S9 Autoset
Mask Make & Model:
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 10 - 20 (auto range)
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: ResMed Mirage Quattro

Sex: Male

RE: ClimateLine problem
(03-13-2012 10:06 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote:  One night, I was so tired, I didn't feel like hooking everything up, just the main half and the mask. But the ClimateLine hose didn't fit right. So I put in the H5i half but, even with climateline and humidifier off, the air smelled like it was on. (like the water had boiled out of the pan kind of smell)

1 - is there an adapter to make the climateline hose fit the non-humidifier half? (turning the hose around did not work as the mask's hose would not fit that end)

2 - i have the setting for the humidifer turned to OFF. This means the humidifier and climateline is off, right? Or just the hose is off? Why did I smell the hot air if it was set to OFF? With water in the tank, the smell was gone. The setting goes from OFF to 60something F to over 80F (I usually keep it on 80F or OFF)

3 - if I have to take 2 hoses, how do I keep the non-climateline hose clean enough between uses? Clean well and put in sealed bag?

Paula02, I don't have certain answers to all your questions, but I would suspect that:

1. There would be no adapter made for that purpose, in part for the reason in 2, below, and in part because of little need, as ResMed might reasonably expect that if you had the higher priced equipment, you would use it. I found none advertised. You could email ResMed.

2. I suspect that the Humidifier and ClimateLine do not turn off together. The ClimateLine apparently works to heat air as well as deal with the humidity issue (alone and in conjunction), and for that reason would continue to work regardless. From ResMed's data: The ClimateLine tube includes a sensitive heating circuit, which is automatically controlled by the Climate Control algorithm to deliver a constant comfortable temperature at the mask .

3. A 2-gallon ziplock should work well for a simple Slimline hose for use without H5i or ClimateLine.

Breathing keeps you alive. And PAP helps keep you breathing!
03-14-2012 12:16 PM
Steven Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet (Mfg 10-18-11 in Aus) (Software Version SX474-0903)
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model:
Humidifier: ResMed H5i Humidifier (Mfg 11-16-11 in Aus) (Software ID SX496-0212)
CPAP Pressure: APAP 12 - 18 cmH2o
CPAP Software: ResScan

Other Comments: ResMed S9 AutoSet & H5i purch 12-22-11 but were both exchanged 1-31-12 for more recently mfg items

Sex: Male

(03-13-2012 10:06 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote:  We had a death in the family and I just spent a lot of time traveling. Eight nights in 8 different hotels, all with hard to reach outlets. (except the Motel 6 where its abundance of outlets was the only reason we did not demand our money back and go elsewhere)

One night, I was so tired, I didn't feel like hooking everything up, just the main half and the mask. But the ClimateLine hose didn't fit right. So I put in the H5i half but, even with climateline and humidifier off, the air smelled like it was on. (like the water had boiled out of the pan kind of smell)

That smell was because the humidifier did not have any water, but the plate was still heating.

It happened to me once when I did not top off the humidifier with more water & it ran out of water during the night.

That is a really bad smell, isn't it?

I don't have the "Escape" so I am not sure what happened.
But it sounds to me that the humidifier was not really off.

Using the ResMed Mirage SoftGel Nasal Mask with a chinstrap

I do not use either the Ramp nor the EPR Comfort features

Have been on CPAP since December 1998

This is my 3rd machine

I use the ResMed ResScan Software (Version 3.16)
03-15-2012 04:15 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
PaulaO2 Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: S9 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 14-20
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, Hypermobility Type; chronic sarcasm

Sex: Undisclosed

Tomorrow I will watch the screen and note what it says with and without the climateline attached. Somewhere I have a manual...

And yes, it is an odd smell. With the S7, if I ran out of water in the middle of the night, I woke up smelling ammonia and sneezed my head off all day. With the S9, it is more of a 'hot' smell. I still sneeze, just not as long.
03-15-2012 08:40 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Totally Confused by Airsense 10 Data - Centrals - Problem machine... ? mymontreal 23 1,162 Yesterday 06:14 PM
Last Post: richb
  Long time CPAP user now with a problem PrkChps 5 189 12-07-2016 09:07 PM
Last Post: PrkChps
  Problem with DreamWear Mask Judy1843 5 313 11-30-2016 04:03 AM
Last Post: holden4th
  New User Problem with BiPAP AVAPS - Part 1 jmayer180 35 1,336 11-27-2016 09:50 AM
Last Post: jmayer180
  ResMed Airsense 10 Setting Date Problem Reuven Gruber 6 303 11-16-2016 04:13 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] ResMed Air Sense 10 Auto Off Problem Buddie43 16 3,282 11-12-2016 02:51 PM
Last Post: sonicboom
  Climateline hose duffer54 4 338 11-05-2016 03:24 PM
Last Post: 0rangebear