Humidifier: none
CPAP Pressure: unsure
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments:

Sex: Female

Cold Air Blast
[font=Tahoma][/font]

Greetings from this newbie!
I've had a ResMed machinge for a little over a year; it was set up at the sleep clinic that prescribed it and I've never fiddled with it. I basically hit the 3 minute warm up button, put on my mask and off to sleep. Lately though I keep getting awakened after an hour or so because I'm being blasted with cold air; my cheeks are like ice! I've checked the machine and a couple of times it was out of water, so I thought maybe that caused the issue-can't warm up water if you've run out! But most of the time there is plenty of water. I've seen a "high humidity" message, but this confuses me because I never add more water than you're supposed to by the markings. Is there something I should be "fiddling" with, as far as settings go, so I don't get this arctic blast? Any help would be appreciated!
02-11-2015 02:19 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
woozie38 Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Fisher & Paykel Icon + Auto
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: Integral
CPAP Pressure: 8 to 14
CPAP Software: SleepyHead Other Software

Other Comments: 17 years of CPAP + supp. oxygen @ 3 L/min

Sex: Male

RE: Cold Air Blast
(02-11-2015 02:19 PM)gobsmacked Wrote:  [font=Tahoma][/font]

I've had a ResMed machinge for a little over a year; it was set up at the sleep clinic that prescribed it and I've never fiddled with it. I basically hit the 3 minute warm up button, put on my mask and off to sleep. Lately though I keep getting awakened after an hour or so because I'm being blasted with cold air; my cheeks are like ice! I've checked the machine and a couple of times it was out of water, so I thought maybe that caused the issue-can't warm up water if you've run out! But most of the time there is plenty of water. I've seen a "high humidity" message, but this confuses me because I never add more water than you're supposed to by the markings. Is there something I should be "fiddling" with, as far as settings go, so I don't get this arctic blast? Any help would be appreciated!

You don't say (in your profile) where in the world you live, & that, with regard to humidity settings is very important. For instance, if you live inland you will require a higher humidity setting than if you live on the coast somewhere. Also, seasonal change means the humidity setting will need to be adjusted for that season. The capacity of the water tank has been calculated to cover most climatic areas & provide sufficient water for one night. Sometimes I forget to top it up and it runs out.
Try a lower setting on your machine if you are running out of water. It's not feasible to have one setting for all year round.

[Image: signature.png]Keep on breathin'
02-11-2015 03:43 PM
trish6hundred Online

Advisory Members

Machine: Resmed S9 AutoSet for Her
Mask Make & Model: Fisher & Paykel Simplus
Humidifier: H5i Heated Humidifier
CPAP Pressure: 10 - 7-20 Cm H2O

Other Comments: I started CPAP in 2008. Totally blind since birth.

Hi gobsmacked,
WELCOME! to the forum.
Hang in there for more answers to your question and much success to you as you continue your CPAP therapy.

trish6hundred
02-11-2015 04:19 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
gobsmacked Offline

New Members

Machine: ResMed S9 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: Resmed

Other Comments:

(02-11-2015 03:43 PM)woozie38 Wrote:  
(02-11-2015 02:19 PM)gobsmacked Wrote:  [font=Tahoma][/font]

You don't say (in your profile) where in the world you live, & that, with regard to humidity settings is very important. For instance, if you live inland you will require a higher humidity setting than if you live on the coast somewhere. Also, seasonal change means the humidity setting will need to be adjusted for that season. The capacity of the water tank has been calculated to cover most climatic areas & provide sufficient water for one night. Sometimes I forget to top it up and it runs out.
Try a lower setting on your machine if you are running out of water. It's not feasible to have one setting for all year round.
02-11-2015 04:24 PM
gobsmacked Offline

New Members

Machine: ResMed S9 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: Resmed

Other Comments:

Well, I live in the USA, in the midwest (St. Louis). We have high humidity in the summer, my house is heated now for winter and I'm thinking humidity is low. I have it set on 4.5. Most of the time when this happens it has not run out of water. So I'm confused and need help, if humidity is low in my house, should I adjust it up or down? Sorry to be ignorant in the basics!
02-11-2015 04:31 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
woozie38 Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Fisher & Paykel Icon + Auto
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: Integral
CPAP Pressure: 8 to 14
CPAP Software: SleepyHead Other Software

Other Comments: 17 years of CPAP + supp. oxygen @ 3 L/min

Sex: Male

(02-11-2015 04:31 PM)gobsmacked Wrote:  Well, I live in the USA, in the midwest (St. Louis). We have high humidity in the summer, my house is heated now for winter and I'm thinking humidity is low. I have it set on 4.5. Most of the time when this happens it has not run out of water. So I'm confused and need help, if humidity is low in my house, should I adjust it up or down? Sorry to be ignorant in the basics!

Basically if the relative humidity is low, then you need to set the machine's humidity setting higher. Conversely, if the relative humidity is high, then set the machine's humidity setting to a lower value.

[Image: signature.png]Keep on breathin'
02-11-2015 04:51 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  [Treatment] What to do when you have a cold? sleepytimegal 21 852 11-18-2016 05:55 PM
Last Post: BadGoodDeb
  +0.5 blast of air Jimboiii 15 461 11-08-2016 03:20 AM
Last Post: srlevine1
  CPAP when you have a cold? JaneAM 7 554 08-13-2016 07:25 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question AHI and Cold Weather graeme 2 386 05-28-2016 05:35 PM
Last Post: zonk
  10 days into CPAP and have a terrible cold dugdale 10 1,399 11-30-2015 05:27 PM
Last Post: mrkdilkington
Ohmy Head Cold and CPAP (or lack thereof) cate1898 10 1,351 11-30-2015 05:43 AM
Last Post: pholynyk
Gross Bad Cold Tips?! cowboy1970 28 4,024 10-20-2015 03:20 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper