Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Cold Air Blast
Cold Air Blast

Greetings from this newbie!
I've had a ResMed machinge for a little over a year; it was set up at the sleep clinic that prescribed it and I've never fiddled with it. I basically hit the 3 minute warm up button, put on my mask and off to sleep. Lately though I keep getting awakened after an hour or so because I'm being blasted with cold air; my cheeks are like ice! I've checked the machine and a couple of times it was out of water, so I thought maybe that caused the issue-can't warm up water if you've run out! But most of the time there is plenty of water. I've seen a "high humidity" message, but this confuses me because I never add more water than you're supposed to by the markings. Is there something I should be "fiddling" with, as far as settings go, so I don't get this arctic blast? Any help would be appreciated!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Cold Air Blast
(02-11-2015, 02:19 PM)gobsmacked Wrote:

I've had a ResMed machinge for a little over a year; it was set up at the sleep clinic that prescribed it and I've never fiddled with it. I basically hit the 3 minute warm up button, put on my mask and off to sleep. Lately though I keep getting awakened after an hour or so because I'm being blasted with cold air; my cheeks are like ice! I've checked the machine and a couple of times it was out of water, so I thought maybe that caused the issue-can't warm up water if you've run out! But most of the time there is plenty of water. I've seen a "high humidity" message, but this confuses me because I never add more water than you're supposed to by the markings. Is there something I should be "fiddling" with, as far as settings go, so I don't get this arctic blast? Any help would be appreciated!

You don't say (in your profile) where in the world you live, & that, with regard to humidity settings is very important. For instance, if you live inland you will require a higher humidity setting than if you live on the coast somewhere. Also, seasonal change means the humidity setting will need to be adjusted for that season. The capacity of the water tank has been calculated to cover most climatic areas & provide sufficient water for one night. Sometimes I forget to top it up and it runs out.
Try a lower setting on your machine if you are running out of water. It's not feasible to have one setting for all year round.
[Image: signature.png]Keep on breathin'
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi gobsmacked,
WELCOME! to the forum.
Hang in there for more answers to your question and much success to you as you continue your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-11-2015, 03:43 PM)woozie38 Wrote:
(02-11-2015, 02:19 PM)gobsmacked Wrote:

You don't say (in your profile) where in the world you live, & that, with regard to humidity settings is very important. For instance, if you live inland you will require a higher humidity setting than if you live on the coast somewhere. Also, seasonal change means the humidity setting will need to be adjusted for that season. The capacity of the water tank has been calculated to cover most climatic areas & provide sufficient water for one night. Sometimes I forget to top it up and it runs out.
Try a lower setting on your machine if you are running out of water. It's not feasible to have one setting for all year round.

Post Reply Post Reply
Well, I live in the USA, in the midwest (St. Louis). We have high humidity in the summer, my house is heated now for winter and I'm thinking humidity is low. I have it set on 4.5. Most of the time when this happens it has not run out of water. So I'm confused and need help, if humidity is low in my house, should I adjust it up or down? Sorry to be ignorant in the basics!
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-11-2015, 04:31 PM)gobsmacked Wrote: Well, I live in the USA, in the midwest (St. Louis). We have high humidity in the summer, my house is heated now for winter and I'm thinking humidity is low. I have it set on 4.5. Most of the time when this happens it has not run out of water. So I'm confused and need help, if humidity is low in my house, should I adjust it up or down? Sorry to be ignorant in the basics!

Basically if the relative humidity is low, then you need to set the machine's humidity setting higher. Conversely, if the relative humidity is high, then set the machine's humidity setting to a lower value.

[Image: signature.png]Keep on breathin'
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Tips for continuing PAP through a cold Bostonsnow 4 535 07-28-2023, 11:55 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Head cold Barbara.Levitan 2 597 03-10-2023, 11:23 PM
Last Post: srlevine1
  [Equipment] Cold-weather camping? tundranapper 4 877 05-26-2022, 07:23 AM
Last Post: RNeil
  Arctic blast desaturator 17 1,348 01-11-2022, 03:56 PM
Last Post: DaveCar
  Face Blast! maelstrom07 11 1,144 11-26-2021, 03:07 PM
Last Post: maelstrom07
  High pressures causing/worsening cold symptoms Chalkie 4 819 11-26-2021, 08:44 AM
Last Post: Chalkie
  BiPAP advisable with a cold? BobbieM 10 1,234 06-16-2021, 01:47 PM
Last Post: WakeUpTime

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.