Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Common to switch between nasal and full-face mask as needed?
RE: Common to switch between nasal and full-face mask as needed?
So I have a very basic question about how a full-face mask is supposed to work. My naive assumption was that it would allow me to breathe equally well via my nose or my mouth, such that mouth-breathing could sort of "kick in" if my nose was congested (which is exactly what happens if I'm sleeping without a CPAP). In my first experience with the full-face mask, that seemed to be the case at lower pressure, but when the pressure ramped up above 10 it felt like my mouth was being pressured open & I pretty much had to breathe through my mouth or things wouldn't work properly. Is that how it's supposed to go, or not?
Post Reply Post Reply
For me I could breathe through either.
Only problem I had with the full-faced mask is I always woke up with the bottom of the mask in my mouth in the morning, so I gave up on it.
A chin strap might have helped.
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-04-2018, 04:02 PM)Creosote Wrote: So I have a very basic question about how a full-face mask is supposed to work. My naive assumption was that it would allow me to breathe equally well via my nose or my mouth, such that mouth-breathing could sort of "kick in" if my nose was congested (which is exactly what happens if I'm sleeping without a CPAP). In my first experience with the full-face mask, that seemed to be the case at lower pressure, but when the pressure ramped up above 10 it felt like my mouth was being pressured open & I pretty much had to breathe through my mouth or things wouldn't work properly. Is that how it's supposed to go, or not?

The only way that I could see that happening is if both sides of your nasal passages totally plug. I have not had that feeling yet, but I am only 3 nights into using a full face mask. 

With a nasal mask I don't think I have ever breathed IN through my mouth. What seems to happen is that the pressure when it gets high enough forces my mouth open and air escapes out, not in. I wake up with this mini tornado coming out of my mouth!!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Canadian here without insurance. Purchase advice needed. TrailerSweetheart 31 5,531 03-21-2024, 06:54 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  How can I rectify skin breakage from nasal mask? evenflow 2 100 03-20-2024, 10:18 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  New to CPAP Titration Study and OSCAR Data Help Needed slowmoto 2 149 03-20-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: slowmoto
  Full Face Mask Recommendations for Minimal Bounce with Pressure Support Unkikonki 15 527 03-14-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: RLRoth
  Help needed to understand chart SteveC 0 100 03-11-2024, 11:54 PM
Last Post: SteveC
  Nasal irrigation sleepingbetterinFl 8 326 03-11-2024, 10:50 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,081 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
Last Post: stevew168

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.