Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Does this look like mouth breathing?
Does this look like mouth breathing?
I just switched to a nasal pillow (ResMed AirFit P10) a bit over a week ago and it is pretty nice. However, it looks like I had major leaks last night and the night before. Do the attached graphs suggest mouth breathing, or a mask leak?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Does this look like mouth breathing?
I would suspect mouth is dropping open first and mask leaks second with the nasal mask.
I use a FFM and an under chin strap across the two lower straps.
with that and a bit of Elmers glue stick applied and am almost 100% leak proof.

Wink
"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
Just some background info, I was using a nasal mask (Wisp) for about 3 months prior. I suspect I did occasionally mouth breath from the data, maybe once a month or even less than that. So I didn't worry about it too much, and I don't think it was ever enough for SleepyHead to report a major mask leak on the welcome or last night screen.

This is the first time SleepyHead has alerted me to a major leak.
Post Reply Post Reply
Did you mouth feel like a hot desert dust storm swept through it? That is my first clue that I have mouth breathed - unless it just wakes me up, which is often the case.
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, it does. When it peaks like that then kinda levels off like a mesa, that's usually a mouth leak. Mask leaks tend to be more jagged. I have assumed this to be because the air is causing the mask to flap or shift.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Worried about periodic breathing / CA patterns Jorgo 46 1,139 18 minutes ago
Last Post: Jorgo
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 33 10 hours ago
Last Post: LaraM
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 376 Yesterday, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 5 317 03-23-2024, 01:49 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 230 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,080 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
  Choosing Apnea Mouth Guard newtothis1 9 806 03-08-2024, 09:52 PM

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.