Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Consequences of Pulling SD Card
Consequences of Pulling SD Card
I just started using a new ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet. The machine is new to me, but I have been on CPAP for decades. (My old Respironics REMstar did not have over-the-air, or any, reporting capabilities.) For the next few months, Medicare is following my compliance closely to determine whether they pay for it or I do. Then, after several months, if I have been compliant, Medicare will change it over to Patient Owned. It is just standard Medicare stuff. I am wringing my hands and chomping at the bit in anticipation of pulling that SD Card out, running it through OSCAR and digging into the in-depth, detailed data behind the nearly useless summary of ResMed’s myAir data. However, I am reluctant to touch the SD Card until I know it is not going to mess up anything being sent to the DME and/or my Pulmonologist, if he is getting the data, too.

It is not that I do not want them to know that I am doing an in-depth analysis of my sleep situation. I have always tried to make my Healthcare Providers understand that I am a PARTNER in my health care. I just do not want to hose up the insurance. My plan is to wait at least two hours after my last sleep session to pull the SD Card, after verifying with myAir that the data was synchronized. I know from my wife’s ResMed AirSense 10 Elite setup from a couple of years ago, where the DME never put in an SD Card to begin with, that the daily data could be transmitted without one.

Does anyone know of, or suspect, any glitches that I could introduce in my Medicare compliance reporting to and/or from the DME or Healthcare Provider by my pulling the SD Card long enough to import the data into OSCAR? (Assuming, of course, I do not screw up the SD Card in some bizarre way.)

I appreciate your thoughts and suggestions and your time and attention concerning this matter.

Thank you!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Consequences of Pulling SD Card
When I bought mine the guy told me that my machine didn't come with a SD card but the machine would transmit the data to them so I assumed it wasn't necessary for the provider to receive data. Make sure the SD card is switched to locked (little button on the side) before inserting into computer, then unlock when you put back into the machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
The caution of locking the SD card is only needed for ResMed S9 devices.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-14-2020, 01:00 AM)x3phillips Wrote: I just started using a new ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet. The machine is new to me, but I have been on CPAP for decades. (My old Respironics REMstar did not have over-the-air, or any, reporting capabilities.) For the next few months, Medicare is following my compliance closely to determine whether they pay for it or I do. Then, after several months, if I have been compliant, Medicare will change it over to Patient Owned. It is just standard Medicare stuff. I am wringing my hands and chomping at the bit in anticipation of pulling that SD Card out, running it through OSCAR and digging into the in-depth, detailed data behind the nearly useless summary of ResMed’s myAir data. However, I am reluctant to touch the SD Card until I know it is not going to mess up anything being sent to the DME and/or my Pulmonologist, if he is getting the data, too.

It is not that I do not want them to know that I am doing an in-depth analysis of my sleep situation. I have always tried to make my Healthcare Providers understand that I am a PARTNER in my health care. I just do not want to hose up the insurance. My plan is to wait at least two hours after my last sleep session to pull the SD Card, after verifying with myAir that the data was synchronized. I know from my wife’s ResMed AirSense 10 Elite setup from a couple of years ago, where the DME never put in an SD Card to begin with, that the daily data could be transmitted without one.

Does anyone know of, or suspect, any glitches that I could introduce in my Medicare compliance reporting to and/or from the DME or Healthcare Provider by my pulling the SD Card long enough to import the data into OSCAR? (Assuming, of course, I do not screw up the SD Card in some bizarre way.)

I appreciate your thoughts and suggestions and your time and attention concerning this matter.

Thank you!

It's your Provider or Doctor that is reporting your compliance to Medicare through My Air.  It has absolutely nothing to do with the SD card.  The SD card is for your use, so go ahead and pull the card and use OSCAR to analyze your data.  They won't know the difference.

No matter what a DME or doctor tells you, Medicare is only interested that you are using your machine at least 4 hours a night.  They don't receive their information from your SD card.

Compliance:
Medicare requires that a patient use CPAP for more than 4 hours per night on 70% of nights (21 nights) during a 30-day consecutive period any time in the first three months of use.

Patient must also have a face to face appointment with their doctor any time after the first 30 days, but before the 90 days expires.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-14-2020, 01:00 AM)x3phillips Wrote: I just started using a new ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet. The machine is new to me, but I have been on CPAP for decades. (My old Respironics REMstar did not have over-the-air, or any, reporting capabilities.) For the next few months, Medicare is following my compliance closely to determine whether they pay for it or I do. Then, after several months, if I have been compliant, Medicare will change it over to Patient Owned. It is just standard Medicare stuff. I am wringing my hands and chomping at the bit in anticipation of pulling that SD Card out, running it through OSCAR and digging into the in-depth, detailed data behind the nearly useless summary of ResMed’s myAir data. However, I am reluctant to touch the SD Card until I know it is not going to mess up anything being sent to the DME and/or my Pulmonologist, if he is getting the data, too.

. . .

Hi X3phillips,
I just replaced my old S9 Autoset with an Airsense 19 Autoset For Her in May 2020, so it is still under the Medicare 13-month rent-to-own time period. The morinig routine I use is a follows:  on awakening, I press the on/off button to stop the machine, pull off the mask, and head for the bathroom.  On returning, I check the sleep report and press and hold the on/off button to turn off the unit.  If you leave the cover flap over the SD card a little open, you will see blinks pf a small LED above the card slot that show when the machine is accessing or writing the card.  I then pull the card, and take it downstairs when I go.  You will see blinks of the the Activity LED whenever you remove or insert the SD card.  Soon after, I plug the card into my PC, and read it with OSCAR.  I also keep a current copy of the SD card on my PC in a folder, as a backup. 

Here is a thread I posted about how the A10 manages the SD card, including an example backup script:
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...management

A little later, I log into MyAir, just to see that the data is transmitted correctly.  I'll continue to do this until the Medicare time period expires.  I'll probably disable the internal modem after that time. 

Side note:  You'll notice that the activity light by the SD card slot also blinks when you power down the unit.  I believe that the machine notes this event and logs it to the card.  In November, we will have a time change due to the end of Daylight Savings.  It will be necessary to leave he machine powered up and undisturbed for a few hours that day, in order to enter the clinical menu and adjust the machine's clock back 1 hour.  The machine will refuse to allow the time to be adjusted backward if it believes there is data during that time window.

Hope this helps.
A.Becker
PAPing in NE Ohio, with a pack of Cairn terriers
Post Reply Post Reply
Agreed. Pulling the SD card out of your PAP will not have any affect on your compliance data. Seeing the data in OSCAR will be a LOT more data than Dr. Dolittle will see when checks for compliance are done. Yep he used it for 4 or more hours...
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-14-2020, 01:10 AM)sg131 Wrote: When I bought mine the guy told me that my machine didn't come with a SD card but the machine would transmit the data to them so I assumed it wasn't necessary for the provider to receive data. Make sure the SD card is switched to locked (little button on the side) before inserting into computer, then unlock when you put back into the machine.

Yeah, It seems logical that the SD Card has nothing to do with data transmission. But I wanted to ask anyway. Thanks for the info about locking the Card.

(10-14-2020, 02:33 AM)bonjour Wrote: The caution of locking the SD card is only needed for ResMed S9 devices.

Ah. Thanks, Fred!
Post Reply Post Reply
OpalRose Wrote:
It's your Provider or Doctor that is reporting your compliance to Medicare through My Air.  It has absolutely nothing to do with the SD card.  The SD card is for your use, so go ahead and pull the card and use OSCAR to analyze your data.  They won't know the difference.

No matter what a DME or doctor tells you, Medicare is only interested that you are using your machine at least 4 hours a night.  They don't receive their information from your SD card.

Compliance:
Medicare requires that a patient use CPAP for more than 4 hours per night on 70% of nights (21 nights) during a 30-day consecutive period any time in the first three months of use.

Patient must also have a face to face appointment with their doctor any time after the first 30 days, but before the 90 days expires.

OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator

Thank you very much for the clarification. I appreciate your assistance!

(10-14-2020, 12:38 PM)becker44a Wrote:

. . .

Hi X3phillips,
I just replaced my old S9 Autoset with an Airsense 19 Autoset For Her in May 2020, so it is still under the Medicare 13-month rent-to-own time period. The morinig routine I use is a follows:  on awakening, I press the on/off button to stop the machine, pull off the mask, and head for the bathroom.  On returning, I check the sleep report and press and hold the on/off button to turn off the unit.  If you leave the cover flap over the SD card a little open, you will see blinks pf a small LED above the card slot that show when the machine is accessing or writing the card.  I then pull the card, and take it downstairs when I go.  You will see blinks of the the Activity LED whenever you remove or insert the SD card.  Soon after, I plug the card into my PC, and read it with OSCAR.  I also keep a current copy of the SD card on my PC in a folder, as a backup. 

Here is a thread I posted about how the A10 manages the SD card, including an example backup script:
(new member - can't include link)

A little later, I log into MyAir, just to see that the data is transmitted correctly.  I'll continue to do this until the Medicare time period expires.  I'll probably disable the internal modem after that time. 

Side note:  You'll notice that the activity light by the SD card slot also blinks when you power down the unit.  I believe that the machine notes this event and logs it to the card.  In November, we will have a time change due to the end of Daylight Savings.  It will be necessary to leave he machine powered up and undisturbed for a few hours that day, in order to enter the clinical menu and adjust the machine's clock back 1 hour.  The machine will refuse to allow the time to be adjusted backward if it believes there is data during that time window.

Hope this helps.

GREAT information! Thank you very much!
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-14-2020, 01:29 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: Agreed. Pulling the SD card out of your PAP will not have any affect on your compliance data. Seeing the data in OSCAR will be a LOT more data than Dr. Dolittle will see when checks for compliance are done. Yep he used it for 4 or more hours...

Thanks, Dave!
Post Reply Post Reply
Small clarification to what OpalRose posted. The DME tracks your use and efficacy using a program called AirView. MyAir is the consumer side of wireless data transfer, and offers less detail. AirView does not report use of the SD card, so viewing the detailed data is not detected. If you make changes to settings, the DME may be aware of that, however "compliance" under Medicare is established by using the machine more than 4-hours per day more than 70% of the time in any 30 day period. That works out to 21 of 30 days. Meet compliance and use the machine, and Medicare is happy. Settings and even efficacy makes no difference in establishing compliance.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Equipment] ResMed P10 Hose Pulling on Mask shenstone 5 788 01-17-2023, 03:13 PM
Last Post: Sleepless in Dewberry
  SD card backup on PC and new SD card snorin2 0 921 12-05-2022, 01:53 PM
Last Post: snorin2
  having difficultly pulling in air on inhale gcritchley 10 1,125 09-03-2022, 07:51 AM
Last Post: gcritchley
  ResMed S9 SD Card "Invalid SD Card, erase card data?" MAPnea 41 50,867 04-29-2021, 03:42 AM
Last Post: Scobber
  Pulling off my mask at night sesheridan 4 802 12-26-2020, 01:50 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  What are the consequences of switching doctors fredkahan 7 1,190 12-10-2020, 11:54 PM
Last Post: greatunclebill
Sad 1 Year on and mostly pulling the mask off mw1655 14 2,536 12-03-2018, 09:24 AM
Last Post: mw1655

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.