Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Considering switch from pillows to full mask
Considering switch from pillows to full mask
I've been using my CPAP machine with success for 4 years. I use nasal pillows, and have never felt the need to change my prescribed air pressures, or style of headgear.

Early on, opening my mouth to talk or breathe while wearing the pillows would cause the air flowing in through my nose to rush out of my mouth uncontrollably. I learned pretty quickly keeping my mouth closed was far more comfortable, and briefly considered some kind of chin strap to maintain mouth closure, but it never became urgent

However four years on, it's different. I can easily resist the air pressure, and breathe and talk easily and normally while wearing the pillows. I'm not certain this is a good thing.

What has caused this change? Has the anatomy of my nose and throat somehow adapted? My wife has reported a few occasions lately of me snoring through my mouth while wearing the pillows. But she has not noticed any apneas, and my Sleepyhead stats are still excellent, so I'm not terribly concerned.

But I am considering the benefits (if any) of switching from the nasal pillows to a full mask to make sure I'm getting full benefit of the air pressure.

I'd like to hear your thoughts.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Considering switch from pillows to full mask
Nasal pillows are great no need to change to a full face mask, I suspect you have just got used to managing 5he air pressure when awake.

We can’t comment on the efficacy of your machine without seeing some graphs, check my signature for details on sleepyhead and uploading graphs. With current graphs we can check that 5he pressure your machine is configured to provide is effective
Post Reply Post Reply
I see your using sleepyhead already. If your not showing any large leaks on your charts than your getting the full benefit of the pressure.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
I'm guessing that your chart does not show excessive leaks or you would of said so. I'm also assuming that your excellent charts mean that do not show any mouth breathing. Snoring during titration is both an indication and a reason to increase pressure depending on duration.

It is always best to post daily SleepyHead charts because the collective is very good at seeing details of what is happening.

Regarding mask choice as a proponent for pillow masks and the author of the Mask Primer The best mask in your case is the one that works.

There are several senior people on this forum that use full face masks and have issues with pillow masks.

That said I see no evidence that your mask is not working at this time.
Post Reply Post Reply
As you gain experience using nasal pillows, it becomes normal that you learn how to manage the positive pressure. Like you, I can talk fairly normally and even drink while using positive pressure. You have adapted and are comfortable, and learned to manage the air. Welcome to the club of advanced users.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Difficulty Exhaling with Nasal Pillows? chill 23 10,753 03-26-2024, 06:13 AM
Last Post: 40plus
  Full Face Mask Recommendations for Minimal Bounce with Pressure Support Unkikonki 15 513 03-14-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: RLRoth
  [News] Fisher and Paykel Evora Full SarcasticDave94 155 16,581 03-06-2024, 09:03 AM
Last Post: SheShells23
  Nasal pillows vs. cradle GOIRISH65 8 389 03-04-2024, 07:44 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Airsense 10 - Bright light from on/off switch Dagmar 6 11,070 03-03-2024, 09:28 AM
Last Post: E.W.
  Pros/Cons of buying PAP at full price TwoFistedWonderBrain 14 696 02-24-2024, 10:39 AM
Last Post: TwoFistedWonderBrain
  Flow Limitations Full Face Mask vs Pillows wickedsleepy 4 394 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: wickedsleepy

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.