Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Cpap UPS
Cpap UPS
Good day

I live in South Africa where we have constant rolling blackouts. It has started interfering with my sleep.

I still use an Resmed S8 Autoset Cpap machine and is looking into possible Battery, UPS or alternative power solutions. 

In South Africa there is only one shop than specialize in CPAP and the UPS options they sell are for the Resmed S9 and S10. 

I'm not knowledgeable enough about Electricity, electricity usage, electricity units and unit conversions to be able to look for a generic option and be satisfied that it will work for my device. 

If its an UPS then i need a device that will be able to run for at least 4 hours. If its a battery that doesn't function as an UPS (meaning it doesn't switch on and off as the power goes out) then ill need one that can at least run my machine for 8 hours.

Any guidance?

Mostly i just need to know what specs I'm looking for. We use euro plugs in South Africa. I include the information on the bottom of my machine.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Cpap UPS
There’s a camping with cpap thread on here a few threads below your request.

I use a battery power station with a 12v to 24v converter cord. The battery is rated at 299 WH.
The WH stands for watt hrs. I get about 35 hrs before I need to recharge.

I have a Resmed A10 that requires 24v. I run it with the humidifier on OFF, no heated hose.

My unit weighs a little over 8 lbs. It’s a lithium polymer battery.

You can also charge cell phones, hook it up to a solar panel.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Cpap UPS
Smileyman - The problem you face is finding a DC-DC power supply for your S8. It probably has a proprietary power plug, much like the S9. Your rolling blackouts preclude a viable UPS system. Blackouts usually persist for a considerable amount of time. The inefficiency of the power conversion process of a UPS would require one so large that it would be cheaper to buy a new CPAP that have available DC-DC power supplies as an option.

I found the following on the internet: ResMed S8 OEM DC-12 Converter, ResMed# 33942. Its price, or alternatives found, are close to buying a used CPAP.

This is the best I can offer.
- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.