Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Cpap machine maintenance
Cpap machine maintenance
I recently had my machine back to Resmed for a health check and maintenance. 
Following its return i was surprised how much quieter the motor was but more important how much better my leakage numbers were.
The O rings that seal the humidifier were replaced and the attachment where the heater hose connects was also upgraded. I also purchased a new heater hose also .
With connections now airtight and a properly functioning machine the average leak for one week  is 4.08 compared with a six month average of 21.21.The percent of above 
the leak rate for one week is 1.47 percent compared to 29.05 for six months. 
My machine is almost 3 years old and all repairs were covered by warranty.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Cpap machine maintenance
I was also quite impressed with Resmed's warranty service. My S9 is nearly five years old (so almost out of warranty) when the humidifier failed. Resmed replaced the humidifier but also a bunch of other stuff including the blower motor. It now runs much quieter, though the leaks haven't changed noticeably.

They also lent me an Aircurve CS for the duration - nice machine!
Post Reply Post Reply
Should one consider sending a unit back every few years just to optimize the machine? I have duplicate machines, would not put me out of pocket!
Post Reply Post Reply
Seems to me it almost might be worth getting machine "tune ups" via ResMed, assuming that cost isn't high and one has a backup device. Coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
At least we now know that leaks in the machine can contribute to the leak numbers. Good to know. My machine has fallen off a nightstand 3 times, but my leaks are pretty low. BTW, it falls humidifier down - I wonder if that was a design element to reduce the chance of water damage?
Post Reply Post Reply
I would think that new seals would help to quieten the machine, and maybe a clean set of fan blades as well...???   I hope they would wipe all inner surfaces clean, or blow them out, and make sure the fan blades are either new or newly cleaned.  Maybe new simple bearings on the drive shaft pillow block...if there is one.

This is an aside, but I recently had to clean and lube an old brass clockwork in an antique Ansonia 7-day mechanism.  I have never done such a thing, but I know the job done by a pro is worth at least $600.  Last quote was $800.  So, I removed the works and ran paint thinner through it.  I was aware that it had been rebuilt by a hobbyist 40 years earlier and lubed with kerosene vapour. I ran the clock until the springs ran down.  It was clinky and clunky.  I let the mechanism sit, open to the air, for three months.  Then, I touched each bearing point and pin with a sewing needle impregnated with Dextron III Mercon auto transmission fluid.  I clipped the top of the thread 'eye' off with wire nippers, leaving two small tines.  That held a single drop of the ATF nicely.  Last job was to dribble some ATF all across the sides of the twin coiled thin leaf springs, each with approximately 20 winds. This would permit the springs' windings to rub against each other as the spring grew progressively tighter during winding.  I reinstalled the mechanism after a wipe-down, and wound it up.  A month later, it's working like a champ.  Quietly, too.  All this to mean that a little TLC goes a long way to restoring valuable things.
Post Reply Post Reply
Wow! What great service!!!
Post Reply Post Reply
What's ResMed's warranty period? I'd like to send mine in for a check up too.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm pretty sure it's two years in the States.

In Australia it's now two years with a free one year extension if you join SleepVantage. Your supplier should offer to sign you up at no charge. When I got my machine it was a three year warranty plus two years extension, so at some stage Resmed wound it back. You can also purchase a further two years, bringing it to a total of five.

https://www.resmed.com/au/en/consumer/pr...nsion.html
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Feel like my CPAP machine is killing me jimbob123 1 93 03-27-2024, 05:42 AM
Last Post: Rich66
  CPAP compressed air path design, foam, filtration & maintenance MaNoise 10 227 03-25-2024, 11:07 AM
Last Post: MaNoise
  Need help new on CPAP machine Jimasripper 10 310 03-22-2024, 03:08 PM
Last Post: Jimasripper
  Ready to buy CPAP machine NewlyDiagnosed 29 633 03-21-2024, 01:42 PM
Last Post: NewlyDiagnosed
  UARS diagnosis? No improvements on CPAP. What Bilevel machine to get and where? empiricismandstatistics 8 200 03-21-2024, 04:29 AM
Last Post: empiricismandstatistics
  Is a travel CPAP machine worth it? BobbieM 21 5,745 03-14-2024, 01:55 PM
Last Post: tommystix
  New to CPAP- Need advice on purchasing a machine JuanSiesta 4 370 02-14-2024, 09:31 PM
Last Post: JuanSiesta

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.