Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Craaigs List Machine
Question 
Craaigs List Machine
So following two nights of unsuccessfully trying to get my machine to work I followed advise and went to Craig's list. I found this in a metro area about 2.5 hours away.

C Pap Machine Respironics
Remstar Auto A-Flex
M-Seris
$250

Thoughts? Any one know about how old this one would be based on the model? Also how do I ascertain that it is a working CPAP and not failing like mine has? Advise anyone? Smile Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Craaigs List Machine
That machine is from 2007 or 2008. It's worth about $50 if it's working properly. You don't want to pay $250 or drive 2 1/2 hours for it.
Post Reply Post Reply
You need to get a machine that is semi current so you can get the benefit of the in depth reporting available that wasn't on the older machines.

One of the mods here has a link to a list of the machines that you should look at, and the ones you shouldn't.

If you can't find the link hopefully someone will post it.
Post Reply Post Reply
OK I found the link here:
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ne_Choices

It is Archangle that has the useful links. More great stuff from Archangle:
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ngle:Links
Post Reply Post Reply
Machines from craiglist are sold without warranty or assurances comes from smoke free environment

Supplier #2 sell gently used and new machines with warranty for a piece of mind in case something goes wrong

Suppliers List: http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...plier-List

I suggest to look for newish auto machine such as:
PR System One 550 or PR System One 560

An Auto CPAP might cost few dollars more but you get two machines in one, best of both world

Best of luck and Sleep-well

Post Reply Post Reply
I would say no go on that machine. First of all, I wouldn't drive 2 1/2 hours to find out the machine doesn't work properly. Secondly, the price is way too high. I would look at the supplier list as mentioned above. Best of luck with your therapy.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-23-2015, 07:28 AM)zonk Wrote: Machines from craiglist are sold without warranty or assurances comes from smoke free environment

Supplier #2 sell gently used and new machines with warranty for a piece of mind in case something goes wrong

Suppliers List: http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...plier-List

I suggest to look for newish auto machine such as:
PR System One 550 or PR System One 560

An Auto CPAP might cost few dollars more but you get two machines in one, best of both world

Best of luck and Sleep-well

PM sent.

OMMOHY
Post Reply Post Reply
I got two good deals on used machines. I paid $200 for a PRS1 60 Series Auto, and $350 for a PRS1 60 series BiPAP. both had under 200 machine hours and were in essentially new condition and REPLACED my old M-Series Auto with 19000 hours. The only way you can find those deals is to be educated in what the current machine models that meet your needs are, and to understand most people selling on Craigslist have no concept of the real value of a used machine. Most sellers think the DME invoice price is relevant, and will advertise things like their 8 year old machine was worth over $2000.

It can be done, but you really have to look around and then educate and negotiate aggressively.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Supplier 2 has the same machine you are currently on, DS150, new, open box for less than $370. The DS 220 for about $50 less. Gently used (low hour) but tested machines for maybe $100 less. Those are not fully data capable machines, but if you are looking for reliable PAP therapy without needing granular data, either may be fine for you. If you call, I bet would ship overnight or second day.

For only a few bucks more, they have some reputable auto machines, new, maybe open box. All with factory warranties in place. See the PM I sent for further discussion.

OMMOHY
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-23-2015, 01:10 AM)Biberstadt Wrote: C Pap Machine Respironics
Remstar Auto A-Flex
M-Seris
$250

I think the reasons people are balking at this is the M-Series. Take that away and everything else (and archangle's machine choices would agree) that it's a good machine.

I would clear up this confusion. The M-Series is much older than the current System One series.

Check the information in this post concerning the Philips Respironics machines, call the seller, and ask to have the writing on the label read to you over the phone. Or better yet, ask to have a photo of the label sent to you by cell phone or email.

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...8#pid75378

If you can confirm that the model number is 550 or 560 you've got a System One machine, not a M-Series machine, and the price is good, assuming it's working properly and has low hours.

Get the clinician's manual here

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...13#pid8013

And learn how to check the machine hours by looking at the machine's on-screen display. Ask the seller to meet you half-way at a public place that has electrical outlets. Starbucks, for example.

In my experience sellers don't always get their facts right. I saw an ad for a PRS1 BiPAP Auto, which is a very expensive machine, for sale at a bargain price. I called the seller and found out that it's just a PRS1 Remstar Plus, a much cheaper machine and one that I wouldn't buy except to use as a last resort back up or for spare parts.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 291 264,269 04-15-2024, 05:00 PM
Last Post: Poolboy
Question OSCAR: Cheyne Stokes listed in event summary list but can't find a single event eyeloveeyez 5 358 02-12-2024, 09:03 PM
Last Post: eok361
  OSCAR Compat List Brewskie 2 271 01-10-2024, 08:27 PM
Last Post: Brewskie
  machine died! Now new doctor and new machine Bjazzman 17 6,863 09-05-2022, 09:07 PM
Last Post: NValtman11
  [CPAP] Using SoClean Machine with CPAP Machine ronald1810 4 1,342 06-01-2022, 10:18 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  Supplier List Use? midwestguy 1 656 12-12-2021, 09:39 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Information NOTICE: New "Home Sleep Test Provider List" SuperSleeper 3 1,342 12-12-2021, 08:11 PM
Last Post: midwestguy

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.