Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Pressure] Danger Involved - Changing your own CPAP pressures
RE: Danger Involved - Changing your own CPAP pressures
I can’t believe that in this day and age, people would still argue that paper qualification is somehow proof that a person is better informed, better equipped and better motivated and therefore will make better decisions in a field where research is still in its infancy.

The assumption - based on the posts in this thread warning of dangers of adjusting the CPAP machine without first consulting a doctor - is that some people can be very stupid. No arguments there. But some doctors can also be very stupid - and greedy to boot.

Furthermore doctors - even the best intentioned and least greedy - are only as good in their medical advice as the latest research. If you lived in the 12th century and went to the doctor for help because you caught the flu, he would likely have suggested blood letting.

In the Apnea Forum, you read the information and advice posted there. You do some more research and seek out other sources of information and then decide if it (adjusting pressures or humidity etc) is something you might consider doing.

In fact I’m about to post my apnea charts for comments and advice on why I have been doing worse and sleeping badly on the vAuto than my previous Dreamstation.

Before I joined this forum I was so frustrated with my apnea problem. My doctor and the sleep tech (who did not have apnea) would tell me to tighten my mask to whatever problem I had or go for yet another expensive sleep study. I don’t have the money or energy to try out all the different doctors and sleep techs in town till I chance across someone suitable. Good help, as women have been staying for centuries, is hard to find.
Post Reply Post Reply
After reading some of the comments quoted here, I find the arrogance of this dude quite nauseating. He is most likely a new and low ranking individual within his hive at work, evident by his over-exaggerated view of himself. He does not understand that as the owner of my own machine, I am perfectly in the right to adjust its pressure settings in the pursuit of a better night asleep, rather than waiting days on end for an "appointment" for a physician to do some guess work as to what pressure settings he would like me to suffer under, for yet another few weeks of sleepless nights.
From a technical perspective, it is not rocket science either. We are dealing with less than a handful of pressure settings, half of which are to do with pressure relieve and have absolutely no impact on one's health and what are the odds of going wrong with a combination of 2 or three pressure settings min/max levels anyway.
1 CMH2O equates to less than 0.015Psi so the most powerful machines on the market , capable of delivering 30 CMH2O can only deliver what amounts to less than 0.45 Psi, not enough pressure to burst a small birthday balloon, let alone have a dramatic impact on anyone's health.
The entire concept of CONTINUOUS POSITIVE AIR PRESSURE (CPAP) is itself a very crude way of delivering positive pressure to your lungs so as to prevent obstructive events from occurring. (Very crude, it is like killing a mosquito with a Cannon ball, however it works and it is safe....AND it is relatively inexpensive therapy but not a cure).
Facts however are that the CPAP industry has grown into a multi-billion dollar industry worldwide and naturally there are a lot of interested parties who want a slice of it, including and not limited to our little big guy here, the illustrious lab technician who thinks of us as idiots.
As far as I am concerned, changing the pressures of your machines ever so slightly and for the purposes of getting a better sleep and a more meaningful AHI, is EXACTLY what people who suffer from apnea need to be doing, not what this dude wants us to do by submitting to the will of the "expert":-)
Post Reply Post Reply
As I've said many times here before, and said straight up to the NP in the sleep center...

I will not connect a machine to my body and then go to sleep, unless I
  1. Have complete control over the machine's behavior; AND
  2. Have the ability to monitor and audit the machine's behavior after I wake up.
period.

hard no.

https://youtu.be/Z4n3dbPqk58
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  High Pressures - Inflammation of the CV system? MrIvanDrago 5 299 03-05-2024, 07:14 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 208 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea NewlyDiagnosed 8 400 02-26-2024, 05:08 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Central apnea and high pressures? esaulcatnas 20 1,731 02-16-2024, 12:22 AM
Last Post: esaulcatnas
  Changing CPAP Machine & DME/Insurance & Supplies StratCat48 3 275 02-10-2024, 06:19 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Changing Motor on AirCurve10 ASV Stockton2Malone2 1 276 01-22-2024, 10:10 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Surprised Apap- changing settings Swsch2985 2 402 01-06-2024, 02:16 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.