Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Cut & splice Airmini tube to add QTube? Source for 15mm straight connectors?
Question 
Cut & splice Airmini tube to add QTube? Source for 15mm straight connectors?
The Airmini is outstanding in many ways, but the past few nights that I’ve tried it, the noisy airflow kept me from getting as good sleep as I’ve been getting with my ResMed Airsense 10 AutoSet. JimIves post to the forum on 01-13-2019 prompted me to get a QTube muffler (via Amazon). Even though I knew it wouldn’t fit the Airmini directly, I hoped I could figure out how to make it work somehow.

Now that I have the QTube, I’d rather not take the time to try to find a 3-D printer to make Jim's adapters in order to put the QTube between the airmini and the airmini tubing that runs to my HumidX and AirFit P10 nasal pillow.

It seems to me the simplest thing to do might be just to cut the Airmini tube about 6 inches from the Airmini, to cut the short tube that came with the Qtube in half, and then to connect the cut ends of the hoses together using two 15mm x 15mm straight connectors (perhaps plus some NexCare tape) in order to place the QTube in-line fairly close to the Airmini.

Is this a bad idea?

I also have been unable to find a place where I can purchase two straight 15mm x 15mm connectors. I’ve found a few medical supply companies that carry those connectors, but they won’t sell lots fewer than 50 pieces or $2,500! Does anyone know where I might be able to get something this:

Clear Connector
Part Number: I114NB
ID / OD (mm): 15mm OD x 15mm  OD

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks.

~John
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Cut & splice Airmini tube to add QTube? Source for 15mm straight connectors?
I am not sure what the connectors you are referencing look like, but I hacked my AirMini hose to use my Bleep. I used connectors I purchased online at A**z*n. It was a set of various sizes, Rescare CPAP Hose Connectors & Tubing Adapters. I also used a green PTFE thred (that is how it is spelled on the roll) tape similar to teflon tape for plumbing, but for oxygen use, purchased online from the same place, to secure the adaptor to the hose. 

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Cut & splice Airmini tube to add QTube? Source for 15mm straight connectors?
First consideration is that any mask must properly vent expired air. If the section you cutoff includes the heat moisture exchange and vent, you need to have a mask vent included. I think you'd be better off using a conventional Airfit P10 mask or nasal mask with a conventional 15 mm slimline tube, and adapting off the Airmini 12 mm (0.47 in.) outlet. I have not seen the adapters you are referencing but it's a pretty good bet that you can find appropriate PVC or the right size of clear vinyl tube that will fit over the Resmed outlet and inside the 22 mm OD of standard or slimline tube. A 22 mm standard fitting is 0.866 inches in diameter, or close to 7/8. I think you could make a short piece of 7/8 O.D. x 5/8 I.D. PVC vinyl tubing found at Home Depot or Lowes do the trick with a few pieces of electric or PTFE tape to shim. This assumes you will use the standard 22 mm adapter ends on Slimline tube and not cut anything off the OEM mask.

If you want to use a micrometer and measure the O.D. and I.D. of the existing mask and Air Mini outlet, we might bet closer.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
First consideration is that any mask must properly vent expired air. If the section you cutoff includes the heat moisture exchange and vent, you need to have a mask vent included. I think you'd be better off using a conventional Airfit P10 mask or nasal mask with a conventional 15 mm slimline tube, and adapting off the Airmini 16 mm I.D. (0.629in.) outlet. I have not seen the adapters you are referencing but it's a pretty good bet that you can find appropriate PVC or the right size of clear vinyl tube that will fit over the Resmed outlet and inside the 22 mm OD of standard or slimline tube. A 22 mm standard fitting is 0.866 inches in diameter, or close to 7/8. I think you could make a short piece of 7/8 O.D. x 5/8 I.D. PVC vinyl tubing found at Home Depot or Lowes do the trick with a few pieces of electric tape to shim.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sleeprider makes a valid and important point about venting expired air. I cut the hose at the HME, removing it, and am using my regular mask, the Bleep, which exhausts at the nasal port interface. Surprisingly, removing the HME reduced the noise level significantly! Now I can use my mask of choice with the AirMini and it's relatively quiet to boot...a win in my book!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Question on the Hybernite Rainout control tube runcyclexcski 2 106 03-21-2024, 05:29 AM
Last Post: runcyclexcski
  Airmini noise question sfr79 38 20,268 03-20-2024, 09:22 PM
Last Post: Blausser
  Medicare Providers for Airmini Supplies knitsafghans 4 151 03-15-2024, 11:07 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  cleaning CPAP tube sleepingbetterinFl 6 221 03-14-2024, 10:34 AM
Last Post: apnea505
  Qtube vs Q-Lite muffler HighlandRay 0 141 03-01-2024, 12:02 AM
Last Post: HighlandRay
  Tube Size - 12mm, 15mm and 22mm MrIvanDrago 8 473 02-23-2024, 09:31 AM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  Is the AirMini worth it vs. AirSense 11 labrat 10 917 02-22-2024, 05:49 PM
Last Post: Jogreentree

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.