Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Sinus congestion, APAP, and the end of the world
Sad 
Sinus congestion, APAP, and the end of the world
So, I'm five nights into APAP therapy with my S10 Autoset and philips dreamwear nasal mask. It's going pretty well - my compliance is high (ResMed myAir scores ranging from a low of 93 up to 100, and that low score is only because I didn't sleep as long as resmed would have liked - 6:23 vs. the 7 hours required for top marks) and my AHI is low (SleepyHead has my weekly average AHI at 0.76). I had some issues the first night with the nasal mask and the ramp pressure - my DME had set ramptime to auto and ramp pressure to 5, and it felt like I was struggling to breathe. A quick trip into the clinical menu the next evening fixed that, though - 6 was enough for me to feel fine, although I may tweak that a bit with time.

Everything was going well until yesterday. My 11-year-old nephew just couldn't resist bringing *something* into the house (kids are germ factories Sad), and I found myself developing sinus congestion throughout the day. I dumped vitamin C and zinc and anything else I could think of, I used a netipot in an attempt to clear my sinuses....but I still went to sleep with one side of my nose completely sealed by congestion. When I hooked up for the night, I immediately felt a difference - specifically, I wasn't getting enough air at all, and I started to feel like I was choking. After about 10 minutes of trying (and failing) to calm down, I turned off ramp and put myself directly into therapy pressures. This felt better (but not great) and I was able to sleep. I woke up feeling fine (like), but still congested on one side.

Looking at SleepyHead, I see that my pressures (median and max) were higher than they've been - which makes sense to me, as I was congested - however, I don't see any more events than I've been seeing, which is great.

This experience leads me to a few questions for those of you with more than a week of therapy experience...help me sleep better tonight!

1. What do you do to minimize congestion when the world ends and you catch some bug with sinus involvement?
  2. Does an increase in pressure help you to fall asleep?
  3. What do you do when you're congested on both sides?

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Sinus congestion, APAP, and the end of the world
I've been wondering this same thing!!!! (I'm a newbie - only 3 nights on CPAP.) I struggle to breathe through my nose due to environmental allergens. But I love the DreamWear mask for its minimalism.

I wouldn't have thought to turn up pressure to compensate. That was smart!

I'm eager to hear what others have to say. Eat-popcorn

So far, my plan has been to somehow get a FFM from my DME to have for backup for nights I simply cannot breathe through my nose.
Post Reply Post Reply
There is a good discussion on this subject in the following thread
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...ave-a-cold
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-16-2017, 01:15 PM)Hydrangea Wrote: I've been wondering this same thing!!!! (I'm a newbie - only 3 nights on CPAP.) I struggle to breathe through my nose due to environmental allergens. But I love the DreamWear mask for its minimalism.

I wouldn't have thought to turn up pressure to compensate. That was smart!

I'm eager to hear what others have to say. Eat-popcorn

So far, my plan has been to somehow get a FFM from my DME to have for backup for nights I simply cannot breathe through my nose.

Hydrangea, you're only a few days behind me - how's it working for you so far? I agree about the Dreamwear. I move around a bit when I sleep - usually switching between on my back and on my left side - and having the connector on the top of my head instead of on my face is awesome.

Being so new, I don't know if what I did is considered 'best practice' - but I will say that I woke up this morning feeling rested, despite the congestion. Pre-APAP, I would have woken up feeling like death warmed over! I was dreading this experience, but having it happen right at the beginning was maybe a blessing in disguise.

Getting a FFM was my plan, as well (some others on this board have done the same thing). Some people in 0rangebear's thread disagree, though - turn up the heat, turn up the humidification, and let it ride!

(01-16-2017, 01:48 PM)0rangebear Wrote: There is a good discussion on this subject in the following thread
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...ave-a-cold

Thanks for finding that, 0rangebear! I did some searching, but was looking for 'congestion' and not 'cold' - so probably skipped right over this one. Interesting how so many people just power through it - the swelling I get when congested closes one side of my nose entirely. That having been said, I've never tried Ayr or one of those other sinus sprays - maybe something to consider. Good thing my nearest Rite-Aid is only three or four minutes away!
Post Reply Post Reply
I just got over a bad cold and sinus congestion, coughing, sore throat. Sad

I've found that I can get through it by using a sinus rinse daily. (The one that comes with a squeeze bottle.). I also use Xlear sinus spray (bought at Amazon) and Ayr nasal gel.

Also use Act Total Care Dry Mouth Rinse before bed.

I keep my humidity high and my heated hose turned up too.

I've never turned my pressure up. That would make me uncomfortable.

I still continue to use my P10 mask even with a cold.

And my AHI is usually higher when I'm sick.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I think we all struggle with this from time to time, everybody may have a slightly different story on how they deal with it , so here is mine.
1.) I did away with ramping my pressure, I found I could start my therapy right at my minimum pressure of 9 .
2.) about 30 min. before bed I would use a saline nasal spray.
3.) It's hard to do sometimes, but try to relax while breathing, take longer, slower and shallow breaths.
I've even had some luck using a breath rite strip to help open the passages.
I hope you find what works best for you, Take Care.
And......
Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-16-2017, 02:13 PM)jeffmackatron Wrote: Hydrangea, you're only a few days behind me - how's it working for you so far? I agree about the Dreamwear. I move around a bit when I sleep - usually switching between on my back and on my left side - and having the connector on the top of my head instead of on my face is awesome.

So far so good. The first night, I slept for 4.5 hours with it before ditching it so I could breathe through my mouth; the following night I only tolerated 3.5 hours with it before ditching due to rainout.

But last night I was on it for 7 hours, so I'm pretty proud of myself and I consider 7 hours to be quite successful for a newbie who is used to breathing without something strapped to my face! As far as the data goes... I really don't know how things are going. Laugh-a-lot But I'll worry about that after I have some more nights of data under my belt.

I totally agree about having the hose come out of the top rather than in front of me. I'm in LOVE with that feature.

(01-16-2017, 02:13 PM)jeffmackatron Wrote: Being so new, I don't know if what I did is considered 'best practice' - but I will say that I woke up this morning feeling rested, despite the congestion. Pre-APAP, I would have woken up feeling like death warmed over! I was dreading this experience, but having it happen right at the beginning was maybe a blessing in disguise.

Getting a FFM was my plan, as well (some others on this board have done the same thing). Some people in 0rangebear's thread disagree, though - turn up the heat, turn up the humidification, and let it ride!

Hey, if it worked, then I'd say that was a success! And now you know what may work for you in the future!

Sounds like I need a heated hose... like the cool kids.

I'm not a fan of squirting stuff up my nose... but if it makes it easier to use the cpap when I'm sick or stuffy, then I guess that is worth a try!
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-16-2017, 05:39 PM)Hydrangea Wrote:
(01-16-2017, 02:13 PM)jeffmackatron Wrote: Hydrangea, you're only a few days behind me - how's it working for you so far? I agree about the Dreamwear. I move around a bit when I sleep - usually switching between on my back and on my left side - and having the connector on the top of my head instead of on my face is awesome.

So far so good. The first night, I slept for 4.5 hours with it before ditching it so I could breathe through my mouth; the following night I only tolerated 3.5 hours with it before ditching due to rainout.

But last night I was on it for 7 hours, so I'm pretty proud of myself and I consider 7 hours to be quite successful for a newbie who is used to breathing without something strapped to my face! As far as the data goes... I really don't know how things are going. Laugh-a-lot But I'll worry about that after I have some more nights of data under my belt.

I totally agree about having the hose come out of the top rather than in front of me. I'm in LOVE with that feature.

(01-16-2017, 02:13 PM)jeffmackatron Wrote: Being so new, I don't know if what I did is considered 'best practice' - but I will say that I woke up this morning feeling rested, despite the congestion. Pre-APAP, I would have woken up feeling like death warmed over! I was dreading this experience, but having it happen right at the beginning was maybe a blessing in disguise.

Hey, if it worked, then I'd say that was a success! And now you know what may work for you in the future!

Sounds like I need a heated hose... like the cool kids.

I'm not a fan of squirting stuff up my nose... but if it makes it easier to use the cpap when I'm sick or stuffy, then I guess that is worth a try!

Hydrangea, congrats on seeing it through the night.! Okay

I find putting the hose up helps prevent tangles with blankets, pillows, etc. When turning around during sleep.
lots-o-coffee
The doctor says coffee does not affect my tinnitus and it's got lots of antioxidants....however, the after dinner drinks are a different matter altogether. 
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-16-2017, 07:41 PM)Newbee2016 Wrote: Hydrangea, congrats on seeing it through the night.! Okay

I find putting the hose up helps prevent tangles with blankets, pillows, etc. When turning around during sleep.

Thanks Banana Thumbs-up-2
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sinus issues with CPAP Luka07 9 184 03-26-2024, 09:28 AM
Last Post: Luka07
  nasal congestion relief sleepingbetterinFl 2 156 03-23-2024, 01:54 PM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
  Issues with APAP WWYD FlyingUmbrella683 1 86 03-22-2024, 07:21 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  New APAP machine: Lowenstein Prisma Smart Max Robert Detz 10 361 03-21-2024, 07:58 AM
Last Post: WisNaeMe
  [Health] RESMED APAP tuning sleeper2460 10 553 03-18-2024, 08:43 AM
Last Post: sleeper2460
  APAP optimization assistance jayed53 9 425 03-14-2024, 03:13 PM
Last Post: jayed53
  srwilsn3's therapy thread | APAP -> BiPAP srwilsn3 34 1,410 03-14-2024, 02:23 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.