Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] DME GAVE ME APAP THAT HAD BEEN HEAVILY USED?
DME GAVE ME APAP THAT HAD BEEN HEAVILY USED?
I am a new APAP user, one month in and doing well thanks to good advice from people like Sleeprider. So first of all, thank you!  You are providing invaluable help!

Responding to a 2018 poster's question, Sleeprider clarified that Medicare does not require that I receive a brand new machine from a DME provider. But when I learned where to find the hours of use I was shocked to see over 5000 hrs. on this ResMed.  If this one becomes mine (I have already met the Medicare requirement in the first month) it may not make it 5 years before they will pay for a new one! 

Would it be unreasonable for me to demand a new one?  Or at least one with only a couple of hundred on it. I would not mind one with a couple of hundred, but 5000?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: DME GAVE ME APAP THAT HAD BEEN HEAVILY USED?
I wouldn't accept it. Demand a new unit. If there's any co-pay and it only lasts 15,000-20,000 hours, you're hitting the end of life hours and the co-pay again sooner than a zero hour unit.

At 5,000 hours, it's a third to a quarter of the way used up now. Nuhuh. Send it back for new.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
5,000 hours is getting close to 2 year's worth of use at 8 hours of sleep per night.

Definitely ask for a new machine.  Don't give up.  Be polite and nice, but be insistent (and persistent), based upon the fact that you'll likely need this machine to last for at least 5 more years, not 3 more years.

Many DMEs will try to make money no matter what, even if it means giving patients used machines.   Also, don't let them tell you that you'll have to pay more out-of-pocket if you want a newer machine.  They've already been reimbursed by your insurance and/or Medicare for the entire cost of a new machine.
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
I have a secondary insurer who covers the co-pay amount not paid by Medicare. But I may have to buy a new machine before Medicare will pay for a new one in 5 years since I am starting out with one that has been used this much already!  I will be out the whole cost of a new machine. I am trying to be nice at this point and will let you know how this resolves.

Thanks so much for your advice.
Post Reply Post Reply
That unit has nearly two full years of use on it. It is one thing to ask a patient to take a returned unit that has a couple-hundred hours, but entirely another to provide a used machine. While Medicare can force the provider to provide a full warranty term, it's just bad practice to dispense used machine and demand payment in full as though it was new. First thing, what is the name of the provider so we can all be sure to avoid them. Escalate your issue to the manager, and the corporate office. If you cannot get satisfaction, complain to Medicare and to your supplemental coverage provider. Write as many reviews as you can on this supplier under things like Google, Yellow Pages etc. Here is what Medicare recommends: https://www.medicare.gov/claims-appeals/...ipment-dme

Complaints about durable medical equipment (DME)
To file a complaint about DME, you can:

Contact your supplier.
Call us at 1-800-MEDICARE (1-800-633-4227). TTY users can call 1-877-486-2048.
If you got a competitively bid item in a competitive bidding area, call 1-800-MEDICARE and ask the 1-800-MEDICARE representative to send your complaint to the Competitive Acquisition Ombudsman. This Ombudsman responds to individual and supplier questions, issues, and complaints, and helps make sure your complaint is resolved.

Once you file your complaint, your supplier must:

Let you know they got your complaint and are investigating it within 5 calendar days.
Send you the result of your complaint and their response in writing within 14 calendar days.

Need help filing a complaint?

Contact your State Health Insurance Assistance Program (SHIP) for free, personalized help.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you so  much. I truly appreciate all of this help.

Wow Sleeprider. What a great resource. Thank YOU!!!

I will give them some time to resolve this before I go on line and completely skewer them.
Post Reply Post Reply
This is why DMEs hate Apnea Board.   Bigwink
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Post Reply Post Reply
I totally understand. 

When I sent my first email to the DME company saying it had two years of use already and that the ResMed company says 3-5 years for this machine, the RT there responded that I was "reading too much." I responded that as a retired health care professional I intended to be proactive in my own medical care and that she as a Respiratory Therapist, I am sure, could understand that.
Post Reply Post Reply
Whether it makes sense or not, I make analogies with cars at various times. Here's one now.

Your supposed "new" car has 30,000 miles on it now, roughly 2 years of driving. If you're supposed to accept this used vehicle as new, then somebody's crazy. No, not you, but the crazy DME that's trying to pawn this PAP off onto you.

If myself, I would take it back, and nicely say, "I found this CPAP machine you just sold me has 5k hours . I'm not comfortable with a used PAP. I would like a new zero hour one instead. Let's make an exchange." Show them the hour meter or a picture of it, but actually showing it to them also makes them aware you know how to check the next one.

Then if it doesn't proceed, tell them to keep this unit and give you a receipt of full return. Tell them you're going to XYZ DME across town or wherever they are. Then...Leave. They may stop you and do an exchange, or they won't, and they also don't get your PAP supplies business. You can maybe remind them of that area too.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I hesitated to ask this question in the first place, but I am certainly glad that I did.  What a wealth of information! Thank you.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Issues with APAP WWYD FlyingUmbrella683 1 86 03-22-2024, 07:21 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  New APAP machine: Lowenstein Prisma Smart Max Robert Detz 10 364 03-21-2024, 07:58 AM
Last Post: WisNaeMe
  [Health] RESMED APAP tuning sleeper2460 10 562 03-18-2024, 08:43 AM
Last Post: sleeper2460
  APAP optimization assistance jayed53 9 426 03-14-2024, 03:13 PM
Last Post: jayed53
  srwilsn3's therapy thread | APAP -> BiPAP srwilsn3 34 1,411 03-14-2024, 02:23 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Help optimizing APAP SomeUser 8 1,147 03-12-2024, 03:51 AM
Last Post: SomeUser
  APAP->Bi-level Titrating sleepymf 8 585 03-11-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: sleepymf

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.