Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] DME GAVE ME APAP THAT HAD BEEN HEAVILY USED?
RE: DME GAVE ME APAP THAT HAD BEEN HEAVILY USED?
You know, we are at our best when looking at your data. In spite of your old, new machine, if you think therapy might be better, all you have to do is ask.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Here is the response from my inquiry about this darn machine. Sorry I do not know how to delete this post. See below.
Post Reply Post Reply
So I received a reply from the DME Manager who said that Medicare considers it reusable equipment, blah, blah, blah. I have my sleep clinic appointment tomorrow and will ask them about other companies. I will then call those companies and ask the about their machines and hours on them. I suppose when the sleep clinic authorizes use because I am compliant that this info can be given to a new company without too much hassle. I wonder if the original company will bill me for the supplies they gave me... of course they will.
I am not sure I want to fight them over this. I will think some more on it,
Post Reply Post Reply
I cannot accept a primary machine, that I am paying full price on that has 5000 hours on it. What discount are they offering, and does it include a free replacement in 10000 hours?
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-20-2021, 06:47 PM)Gideon Wrote: I cannot accept a primary machine, that I am paying full price on that has 5000 hours on it.  What discount are they offering, and does it include a free replacement in 10000 hours?

I have no way to know what they are billing Medicare for this one.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm betting it is FULL price for a NEW machine.
Call Medicare and ask for help tell them you are suspecting fraud.
Post Reply Post Reply
From what I am learning I bet you are correct.  I have a few things to try before doing that. But thank you for your support and help.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-20-2021, 05:26 PM)Superstar Wrote: "...DME Manager who said that Medicare considers it reusable equipment,"

I wouldn't trust the DME's word on it, call Medicare -- I've found them helpful in the past.
Post Reply Post Reply
I certainly think they deserve your review on Google. Time to initiate the complaint procedure for Medicare https://www.medicare.gov/claims-appeals/...ipment-dme and your State Health Insurance assistance program https://www.shiipar.com/landing-page/
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I just had a chat with Medicare on line. They say that with proper documentation (medical necessity still exists, doc say it is helping etc., the usual) Medicare will pay for repair to this machine or replacement if the repairs are more than the cost of a new one and if it is not covered by warranty. If Medicare is still renting the machine from the DME they will pay 100%, if I own it, 80%.
This in essence solves my problem. My concern was that I would be stuck with repair costs which I will not because Medicare will pay 80% and my secondary insurance will pay the co-pay.

This has been an incredible learning experience and I thank all of you for the sound advice and help.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Issues with APAP WWYD FlyingUmbrella683 1 87 03-22-2024, 07:21 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  New APAP machine: Lowenstein Prisma Smart Max Robert Detz 10 371 03-21-2024, 07:58 AM
Last Post: WisNaeMe
  [Health] RESMED APAP tuning sleeper2460 10 572 03-18-2024, 08:43 AM
Last Post: sleeper2460
  APAP optimization assistance jayed53 9 429 03-14-2024, 03:13 PM
Last Post: jayed53
  srwilsn3's therapy thread | APAP -> BiPAP srwilsn3 34 1,416 03-14-2024, 02:23 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Help optimizing APAP SomeUser 8 1,147 03-12-2024, 03:51 AM
Last Post: SomeUser
  APAP->Bi-level Titrating sleepymf 8 586 03-11-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: sleepymf

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.