Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] DME Success! Buh Bye Escape!!
RE: DME Success! Buh Bye Escape!!
(04-14-2014, 03:11 PM)Stargazer Wrote: There is something to be said for the AutoSet, especially being a 2 in 1 machine. More than likely, I will end up with that machine. Will be talking with my Dr shortly and will have him write a specific, dispense as written RX, for the AutoSet.

Quick question for anyone with an AutoSet and/or an Apap; Has anyone experienced some sleep difficulties or disturbances related to the changing pressures? I've read where that could be an issue for some and must admit, it worried me. I somehow overlooked the fact that the AutoSet is able to go back to Cpap mode if that or anything else became an issue.

First of all, congratulations on getting a data capable machine! I think that is wonderful!
As far as this question goes, yes. I had issues with waking up every time the pressure went from really low to really high... which was pretty much a lot of the time! That's where the data comes in. I had originally left my machine set for the lowest to the highest thinking I would let the machine take care of everything. Since that didn't work for me, I just looked at the data and raised the bottom end up so that it was much closer to the 95% and left the top end as the max. This solved the problem for me. Now if you do this wrong you could conceivably cause Central Apneas from the pressure being too high, but I have just as many as I had before, no increase, so all good! You have to really work with the machine, make small adjustments over a long period of time and watch your numbers if you are going to make your own adjustments (which I know is not what you asked, but just throwing it out there!) Smile
Good luck with the new machine!
As always, YMMV! You do not have to agree or disagree, I am not a professional so my mental meanderings are simply recollections of things from my own life.

PRS1 - Auto - A-Flex x2 - 12.50 - 20 - Humid x2 - Swift FX
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-14-2014, 04:09 PM)mjbearit Wrote: You have to really work with the machine, make small adjustments over a long period of time and watch your numbers if you are going to make your own adjustments (which I know is not what you asked, but just throwing it out there!) Smile
Good luck with the new machine!

Thank you. No, it's not what I asked but boy do I appreciate any extra info I can gleen from you folks. I am a firm believer in the adage, "knowledge is power!"

You can educate yourself to a point but there is always that "how am I supposed to know what I don't know?" ...or something to that effect. It's why this Board exists and like I said, I GREATLY appreciate it and all my fellow "Pappers."
A good laugh and a long sleep are the best cures....
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-14-2014, 03:11 PM)Stargazer Wrote: Quick question for anyone with an AutoSet and/or an Apap; Has anyone experienced some sleep difficulties or disturbances related to the changing pressures? I've read where that could be an issue for some and must admit, it worried me. I somehow overlooked the fact that the AutoSet is able to go back to Cpap mode if that or anything else became an issue.

I switched from the Escape to the Autoset. A fear I had was previously, any change in pressure always caused me the aereowhatever (the air in the stomach thing I can never ever spell) so I was hoping I didn't have to go through that again. I had so much air, I could sit up in the morning and belch out the alphabet plus some. I could also release it that long from other places. The pain from it was minimal most of the time but there were some early mornings where it would wake me.

BUT despite finding out my treatment pressure on the Escape was inadequate and therefore having a range higher than the Escape, I had no issues with the air in the stomach. None. Nada. And have never had it since.

As for pressure changes, nope, it does not wake me nor bother me or anything else. Currently my pressure can go as high as 19.8 but I'm not waking up.

Congrats on the Elite! You should be proud of yourself! Don't be kicking yourself for not pushing harder for an Autoset. The Elite is just as good. You can see the data and make decisions for yourself. Sometimes I feel kinda limited with the Autoset. It is doing everything for me but I wish it would do more. You know?

Ultimately, it is up to you. When you go get the Elite, you can talk to them face-to-face about the Autoset. If the insurance is paying for it, more than likely your insurance is paying the same amount for all three. If you are paying out of pocket, then get what you want.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-15-2014, 01:42 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: Congrats on the Elite! You should be proud of yourself! Don't be kicking yourself for not pushing harder for an Autoset. The Elite is just as good. You can see the data and make decisions for yourself. Sometimes I feel kinda limited with the Autoset. It is doing everything for me but I wish it would do more. You know?

Paula, thank you for sharing your personal experiences with the Autoset. Ha, yeah! I had heard about that whole air-in-the-stomach thing....too funny!!

I'm pretty happy with the Elite. Had great numbers last night and got to actually see them in that ResScan software! REALLY HAPPY!!!

I see the doc next week so I'm sure I can get him to write the RX for the Autoset. From listening to everyone and my own research, it is an EO601 code or something. Ins pays exactly the same as everyone has stated. So, even though I may not use the auto feature, it'll be nice flexibility to have. Just need to rule out a contraindication w/regard to using an apap that I think my doc had mentioned, but I'll clear that up next week!

Post Reply Post Reply
Having said that, the Brick that is the S9 Escape has met my first and main goal of feeling alive and SO much better. The S9 Elite will do the same but will also meet my second goal of being a data-capable machine.

My first machine was an S8 Escape, and after cruising this forum (4.5 years ago) learned I had a brick. Armed with info from here, went back and traded it even fir a S8 Elite II, which gave me the data I needed. I now have a 1 year old S9 Autoset, and love it! This machine was a gift from heaven, and given to me by someone that could not aclimate to it and was going to throw it away. There is nothing wrong with my S8, but this S9 is so much quieter and gives so much more data.
You did well with getting a fully data capabile unit from your DME.
Rycharde Big Grin
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-15-2014, 06:59 PM)Rycharde Wrote: Having said that, the Brick that is the S9 Escape has met my first and main goal of feeling alive and SO much better. The S9 Elite will do the same but will also meet my second goal of being a data-capable machine.

My first machine was an S8 Escape, and after cruising this forum (4.5 years ago) learned I had a brick. Armed with info from here, went back and traded it even fir a S8 Elite II, which gave me the data I needed. I now have a 1 year old S9 Autoset, and love it! This machine was a gift from heaven, and given to me by someone that could not aclimate to it and was going to throw it away. There is nothing wrong with my S8, but this S9 is so much quieter and gives so much more data.
Rycharde Big Grin
Hi Rychard,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
It's great to hear that youwere given an S9Autoset, that was a blessing, for sure.
I really like both of my S9Autosets, I have one as a backup and one that I use every time I sleep.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-15-2014, 06:59 PM)Rycharde Wrote: My first machine was an S8 Escape, and after cruising this forum (4.5 years ago) learned I had a brick. Armed with info from here, went back and traded it even fir a S8 Elite II, which gave me the data I needed. I now have a 1 year old S9 Autoset, and love it! This machine was a gift from heaven, and given to me by someone that could not aclimate to it and was going to throw it away. There is nothing wrong with my S8, but this S9 is so much quieter and gives so much more data.
Rycharde Big Grin

Welcome back, Rycharde. Congrats on the S9! What a gift indeed!!

Thank you. I am very happy with my now data-capable machine vs the Brick called the Escape. We'll see what the doc says next week as far as any contras to apap therapy.

I'm just amazed, I can't believe they were going to just throw out a fully functional S9 Autoset!! Right place at the right time, eh?!
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-16-2014, 09:24 AM)Stargazer Wrote: Welcome back, Rycharde. Congrats on the S9! What a gift indeed!!

Thank you. I am very happy with my now data-capable machine vs the Brick called the Escape. We'll see what the doc says next week as far as any contras to apap therapy.

I'm just amazed, I can't believe they were going to just throw out a fully functional S9 Autoset!! Right place at the right time, eh?!

Thanks. Yes, she had made up her mind before she got the machine that she wasn't going to like or use it. It's 11 months old and has 600 hours on it. Yessir, it belonged to a little old lady that only used it on weekends! Sounds like a used car salesman. Seriously, I posted a new thread this morning about how I quieted the expiration whistle on mine, which I noticed the first night. In full auto mode, and some subtle changes in settings, the S9 keeps my AHI's under .5, and does it while keeping my pressure lower than the sleep study did. Oh, and if my quotes dont look correct, it's because this new forum format is much different than the one in use several years ago and I just need more training. I've learned a lot in the years since I started on CPAP, and hope to share some of it as you and anyone else needs have need.
Enjoy your Easter weekend,
Rycharde
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-16-2014, 11:01 AM)Rycharde Wrote: I've learned a lot in the years since I started on CPAP, and hope to share some of it as you and anyone else needs have need.
Enjoy your Easter weekend,
Rycharde

I've only been on cpap therapy for a few days now so I def look forward to what you can share from your many years "papping."

Never knew this board existed before a few days ago but darn glad it's here. Very helpful, knowledgeable people! Glad you are back among them to impart your knowledge to us newbies! Thanks

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help - 1 year CPAP - not success - help very welcome! leono85 41 2,607 03-25-2024, 09:32 AM
Last Post: Macka
Arrow Your Personal CPAP Success Story - Post Here SuperSleeper 1,364 625,872 03-24-2024, 07:19 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  Has anyone had success with ONLY a soft cervical collar? ranvanman 7 547 02-26-2024, 09:49 AM
Last Post: ranvanman
  My resmed s9 escape auto does not save date and time. jocemar 2 280 12-30-2023, 11:03 PM
Last Post: jocemar
Cool Success story. ASV - switched from full face to nasal mask 00derek 2 901 11-25-2023, 06:21 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Getting data off a Resmed Escape II Gralli 3 432 08-14-2023, 12:19 PM
Last Post: Gralli
  Another Collar Success Story MickTravis 12 1,842 04-02-2023, 08:44 PM
Last Post: Lucid

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.