Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] DME gave me an AirSense 10 Autoset with 299 hours on it
RE: DME gave me an AirSense 10 Autoset with 299 hours on it
(06-15-2018, 03:47 PM)ShaunBlake Wrote: ... I'm glad that your DME seems to be a stand-up provider.

They seem to be a "stand-up provider" now, only because they got caught with their hand in the cookie jar.   Happy Eyes

For many DMEs, this type of thing is standard operating procedure.  They regularly have used machines returned to them when a patient is not compliant, so they "pass it on" to unsuspecting patients, telling them it's a "new" machine, and even then sometimes try to extort more money from the patient by claiming the patient owes an "upcharge" because they were given an auto-CPAP rather than a 'standard' CPAP... or a data-capable machine over a "dumb brick" that records no data.  They know that the insurance company will pay them in full for any one of those machines, and that any money then can con from your wallet is icing on their cake.

These shenanigans are built-in to their business model.  They will attempt just about any slight-of-hand maneuver in order to increase profit.

They're careful that they won't get penalized for it by quickly "correcting" the "mistake" when a truly knowledgeable customer calls them out on it.  ("Oh, we so, so sorry, I don't know how that could have happened...")   Yeah, right, buddy - you're about as innocent as the con-man playing "Three-card Monte".    Annoyed-and-disappointed

But the unfortunate truth is that 99% of their customers have no clue and will blindly accept what they are given with no objection whatsoever.

Insurance companies know this is the standard operating procedure of most DMEs, and yet have no major issue with it, since it would cost them more time and money to enforce any type of accountability standards on DMEs.  It's all about reducing expenses and increasing profits (nothing wrong with that, of course), but in such an environment, EACH party has a duty to become informed and be diligent to make sure you "get what you pay for".

This is why Apnea Board is so important - we have to inform and educate more patients so they can effectively combat what we affectionately call the "medical mafia" which operates within a system that is designed to make money for doctors, sleep centers, insurance companies and DMEs.
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
(06-15-2018, 02:33 PM)ewokempire Wrote: Went in and got a new zero hour machine today. I checked the usage at the office when the clinician was in the clinician's menu. No fight, just a simple "sorry about that" - easy.

like Good-work Coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I’ve been doing CPAP long enough to know what the lay of the land is, roughly. As long as a machine is categorized as a CPAP, no matter what they give to you be it a brick or an Autoset they’re going to get $1,070 for it here in California, or whatever the customary monthly fee is. So I knew to specify the exact model I wanted when I went in the first time. If they didn’t give me a for-real AirSense 10 Autoset, I’d get my doc to Rx one specifically and force it that way.

Yeah, I don’t trust DMEs either. They cut corners even though they’re nice to your face. I got the sense that mentioning “and you know my insurance paid for a new machine, so it’s kinda the right thing to do regardless of how it smells” went some distance. Guessing they don’t want my insurer (SAMBA, great health insurance if you work for fed govt, btw) to get involved.

I have no doubt that they’ll just put the machine I returned to them back into rotation, and charge full price for it next time it goes out.

Oh, and the MyAir online thing is an absolute joke compared to SleepyHead. It only tells you how long you slept, what your AHI was, if the mask came off at any time, and then says “great job! You earned 100 points!” Obviously trying to game-ify compliance. I sincerely hope the doc’s office gets a little more info than that. I’ll stick with reading the SD card in SleepyHead.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ever notice how patients are usually dispensed the machine in the carry case without the retail packaging? The machine is often removed from the box in front of the patient to be setup, and the DME keeps the packaging. That makes this slight of hand pretty easy.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
When my wife got her machine last year (which is currently sitting dead and waiting for the replacement) the rep from the DME came to the house with the machine in the factory sealed box. So we knew it was a new machine. One of the other signs it was still sealed was the FedEx label was across the top seal and hadn't been tampered with.

On a side note, we are in the process of getting a new machine and going through those hoops. We feel we have to stay with this DME until we get it resolved because we are still within the first year of use. Got to keep Medicare happy. Talked to folks who are very knowledgeable in this and their recommendation is to get the new machine, and then switch DMEs.

Homer
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-15-2018, 03:47 PM)ShaunBlake Wrote: "... and I'm glad that your DME seems to be a stand-up provider..."

Revisit this quote...

Hmm, isn't that the action pose most DME's assume when they're ready to take your payment?  Coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-17-2018, 08:05 AM)Homerec130 Wrote: When my wife got her machine last year (which is currently sitting dead and waiting for the replacement) the rep from the DME came to the house with the machine in the factory sealed box. So we knew it was a new machine. One of the other signs it was still sealed was the FedEx label was across the top seal and hadn't been tampered with.

On a side note, we are in the process of getting a new machine and going through those hoops. We feel we have to stay with this DME until we get it resolved because we are still within the first year of use. Got to keep Medicare happy. Talked to folks who are very knowledgeable in this and their recommendation is to get the new machine, and then switch DMEs.

Homer

Hope you get this resolved ASAP.  Coffee

Deplorable
Mythical
Ethics

IMO many DME's fall into this description but not all. There's enough to warrant skepticism in professionalism.
Post Reply Post Reply
Several years ago my local DME issued me a Respironics BIPAP with about 2800 hours om it.Although it looked and worked fine, I protested and the DME (A ROTECH offshoot) reluctantly issued me a sealed box unit in its place. My feeling was that I was paying for a fresh unit, and expected to use it a long time I was entitled to an unused machine. I think that you too deserve a NEW machine, even though  the minor  hours of usage is insignificant.

TheDuke
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-14-2018, 09:54 PM)ShaunBlake Wrote: Well, you better not give them that sweet-little-puppy look or they'll likely bully you!

I find starting with the sweet puppy look to be a good thing.   It makes it more effective when the skin splits revealing Cujo underneath. 

As for used machines, I sympathize with the DME to some extent.  They shouldn't lie to you, but, in most cases, insurance only pays for rental for x months, then it becomes a purchase.    If you aren't "compliant," they have to take it back and don't get full payment.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
My DME tried to collect a $212 "copayment" on a Resmed Airsense 10, that was covered 100% by my insurance; if I didn't give them a credit card, the RT was going to take my toys and leave, and it could have been another3 weeks to get anyone back.

Lucky for me, the RT wrote down my credit card numbers with a mistake and they didn't go thru.

When I called my health insurance company the next day, they called the DME for me and told them it was 100% covered (with trial period, etc) & then the DME sent me an $11 statement, because apparently they never give up. I threw it out and am waiting to see if they try to get that fraudulent $11 from me again.

DME= slimey people to me so far
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 24 448 36 minutes ago
Last Post: Pawpri
  Need help with Airsense 10 AutoSet JonUK 2 115 03-25-2024, 06:11 PM
Last Post: JonUK
  [Equipment] Should I turn on the AB Filter option on my AirSense 10 AutoSet for these filters? cLoo 10 840 03-22-2024, 01:34 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  Switching from Dreamstation 1 to AirSense II autoset jed3 2 168 03-21-2024, 07:39 AM
Last Post: jed3
  From DreamStation to AirSense 10 or AirSense 11 xaid 7 619 03-20-2024, 04:57 PM
Last Post: labrat
Sad [Treatment] 10 Months In and Still Waking Up After 4 to 5 Hours Burnsy 3 289 03-14-2024, 11:37 AM
Last Post: Burnsy
  Still Only Sleeping 4-5 Hours Most Nights AustinSV 5 253 03-12-2024, 08:49 PM
Last Post: Plmnb

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.