Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] DME run around...4 mo and still no mask, what to do?!
RE: DME run around...4 mo and still no mask, what to do?!
In Ohio, DMEs are regulated by a board, see if there is one in your state and write them a letter. Years ago I had an issue with my mail medicines, and a simple letter to board of pharmacy made the supplier call me within several days.

Also, if you are on Medicare, they have their own location to file complaints against DMEs.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-14-2018, 04:50 PM)Azscooterbird Wrote: I can request another(duplicate) prescription from my Dr, but normaly (the Dr said) the DME supplies the mask and then they inform the Dr to request/approve the prescription.

It sounds like your doctor has it backwards. DME’s in most cases will not supply you with a mask or any supplies without having a prescription from your doctor first.

Someone is dropping the ball on this...probably both the DME and doctor. You will need to be more proactive to get this solved, as 4 months is unacceptable.

Also, you will need to obtain a copy of your script and sleep study for your records.

You can print a copy of a sample script and take it to your doctor to fill out.  Then get confirmation that the doctor’s office actually faxed it to the DME.

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...escription
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
BCBS lists in-network providers on their website, or you can request a list. The simple solution is to fire your unresponsive DME and move on to new one.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I checked and I don't see something specifically for DME's, but maybe the BBB is a first step?
Post Reply Post Reply
In Arizona it appears that the state board of pharmacies controls DMEs.
Post Reply Post Reply
Pharmacy Board...check!   Would not have guessed that one to be the DME regulator. THANK YOU
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for this board, I am feeling informed and empowered now!
I just read the FAQ's -  wow, sooooo much I took for granted.
Thanks for your advice. I very much appreciate everyone's willingness to help.. I am humbled
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-15-2018, 11:10 AM)Azscooterbird Wrote: Thank you for this board, I am feeling informed and empowered now!
I just read the FAQ's -  wow, sooooo much I took for granted.
Thanks for your advice. I very much appreciate everyone's willingness to help.. I am humbled

Don't be humbled, be empowered!  Fortunately there are good DME providers in this country — and even the good ones sometimes need to be taken behind the woodshed, so to speak.

Please do try to locate another provider — and keep in mind they they typically use FedEx, UPS, or USPS to fulfill, and it usually often sometimes is pretty fast — much better than a one- to two-hour commute as is typical around here (Atlanta).
And please keep us updated on your progress… while we can't make them treat you properly, we can at least join your outrage.   Oh-jeez
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm going to go off on a tangent, so bear with me...

What is the practical utility in complaining to the BBB these days?  Many years ago that sort of thing gave purveyors of poor service or product some pause.  Nowadays nobody seems to want to deal constructively with bad suppliers of anything beyond serving themselves.  I do NOT mean this as a thinly veiled criticism of any one individual, but just wondering how such entities as the BBB get sidelined and why people slowly move to looking after their own interests without taking extra steps to make those who screw us 'pay'...somehow.  A DME that has such a solid and intractable reputation for being horrible about their business shouldn't BE IN business.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-15-2018, 04:15 PM)mesenteria Wrote: I'm going to go off on a tangent, so bear with me...

.  A DME that has such a solid and intractable reputation for being horrible about their business shouldn't BE IN business.

Think I will ride along with you on that tangent, if you don't mind.

These companies seem to forgot that they are ultimately working for us.  If not the DME provider, than the insurance company.  We pay money to our insurance companies and have the ultimate ability to "vote with our feet" if we do not receive the level of service we are entitled to.  For me, that is even more of an option now that I am no longer part of an employer insurance plan.  When I hit 64 years and 8 months old the letters and calls begging for my Medicare Advantage insurance business came pouring in.  I am sure I could find someone else who is willing to take my money and provide an acceptable level of service. 

I worked my entire career in a public service industry and have learned how to reach people who can hold some influence over these businesses.  It is now my time to be the squeaky wheel.

Good luck and hope you find the answers/service you need.
When is this “old enough to know better” supposed to kick in?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  CPAP mask straps are loose and no longer keep the mask on my face WWu777 8 2,525 03-29-2023, 08:12 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  Resmed P30i pillow mask user unable to get beyond 1.5 hr on mask Roy289 28 3,208 09-27-2022, 10:47 AM
Last Post: Roy289
  Advice for f and p vitera mask leaks full face mask accetableplaintain 2 3,751 03-23-2022, 09:37 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Help with mask, Definition of EPAP/IPAP and Mask Pressure wesozzzz 1 1,094 11-15-2019, 07:57 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  What's the mask setting of Dreamstation for Bleep DreamPort mask? ChinaMan 5 2,423 10-11-2019, 07:17 PM
Last Post: ChinaMan
  Changing mask from p10 resmed to philips respironics: Mask seal issue Visitor 10 4,831 10-11-2019, 07:25 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Personal Experience On Nasal Mask Compared with Full Face Mask ramphil2019 19 4,528 04-07-2019, 12:01 AM
Last Post: ramphil2019

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.