Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] DME run around...4 mo and still no mask, what to do?!
Angry 
DME run around...4 mo and still no mask, what to do?!
I am exasperated with my DME (a nationwide co) who has yet to provide me with a ffm despite recieving a blanket purchase order in May, from my Dr, numerous phone calls (which are NEVER returned), and finaly an onsite visit. I live outside the Tucson metro area, so visiting the DME office is an hours drive.
I am new to CPAP therapy, and I was warned that the DME's here had TERRIBLE  customer service. But I finally gave up and called the BCBS plan rep in Texas and he said just order it online and we'll bill you for 20%.
I have seen the paperwork my Drs office has sent the DME over the past 4 mo., and now, after ghost orders that were never filled, cancelled Resp Therp appointments, vague promises to resolve this issue, etc. they now want a "more specific prescription" from my Dr. We are back to square one... I can request another(duplicate) prescription from my Dr, but normaly (the Dr said) the DME supplies the mask and then they inform the Dr to request/approve the prescription.
Is there an alternative to this rigamaroll or is this pretty typical?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: DME run around...4 mo and still no mask, what to do?!
When I had problems, I asked my PCP for a new prescription. Be sure they have the test results, and they should have no problem. As for the more specific BS, try sending a copy of your prescription to Supplier #30, as they are rather liberal with prescriptions and may even take your insurance.
Post Reply Post Reply
Unfortunately, your frustration is common.
I purchased my last machine and supplies without my insurance and doctor because I don't want the hassle.
Post Reply Post Reply
Unfortunately this is pretty common. DME jerks on your chain till you go postal. Not necessarily advising you do that. Just saying they will get on your last nerve frequently if you allow it.

Call your doc about the script. Have him/her put for mask "patient preference". If not, take your insurance CS advice and buy from wherever and get reimbursed x%.-
And welcome to AB.

Coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Write a letter listing all your attempts to utilize the DME to the head of your insurance company (usually can come with a name doing a little Googling). Tell him/her that you, as a customer of the insurance company, are appalled that they would allow one of their suppliers to treat their customers in that manner.

Went through something similar while trying to get some equipment for my wife several years ago. Amazing what a call from the head of an insurance company to the head of DME company can do....
When is this “old enough to know better” supposed to kick in?
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks mdhampton, that is good to know.
Post Reply Post Reply
Tdvtap - wow, drastic! I am getting a whole new perspective from the replies.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sarcasticdave94 - "patient preference" Check! Excellent advice.Thank you.

Thank you Tinman53, that is excellent advice. I will do just that... what's the harm?
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-14-2018, 08:49 PM)Azscooterbird Wrote: Sarcasticdave94 - "patient preference" Check! Excellent advice.Thank you.

Thank you Tinman53, that is excellent advice. I will do just that... what's the harm?

You're welcome. Best wishes on resolution.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have similar problems with a Tucson DME. It took four months from asking my doctor for a sleep test until I finally had my APAP. (At least I got the APAP I wanted!) Now I am waiting for another Rx update before I can try a different mask. My wife uses the same DME. At least, once everything settles down, getting refills on supplies has been straightforward.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  CPAP mask straps are loose and no longer keep the mask on my face WWu777 8 2,525 03-29-2023, 08:12 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  Resmed P30i pillow mask user unable to get beyond 1.5 hr on mask Roy289 28 3,208 09-27-2022, 10:47 AM
Last Post: Roy289
  Advice for f and p vitera mask leaks full face mask accetableplaintain 2 3,750 03-23-2022, 09:37 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Help with mask, Definition of EPAP/IPAP and Mask Pressure wesozzzz 1 1,094 11-15-2019, 07:57 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  What's the mask setting of Dreamstation for Bleep DreamPort mask? ChinaMan 5 2,423 10-11-2019, 07:17 PM
Last Post: ChinaMan
  Changing mask from p10 resmed to philips respironics: Mask seal issue Visitor 10 4,831 10-11-2019, 07:25 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Personal Experience On Nasal Mask Compared with Full Face Mask ramphil2019 19 4,528 04-07-2019, 12:01 AM
Last Post: ramphil2019

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.