Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Daily Cleaning of Resmed Mask
Daily Cleaning of Resmed Mask
Quick question if anyone can help - regarding daily mask cleaning....

I have a pack of Coles Antibacterial wipes for use on a Resmed nasal mask.
The active ingredient is Benzalkonium Chloride 1.0% W/W.

Anyone know if this is safe, or unsafe, to use please?

Thanks
Greg
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Daily Cleaning of Resmed Mask
I wash my mask in soap and water but some people use unscented and alcohol free mask wipes and available from on-line suppliers. Not sure if available in Aus. Its not recommended to use antibacterial soaps, detergents, alcohol or vinegar to clean CPAP masks as it can damage mask cushion and might cause skin irritation

Benzalkonium chloride
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benzalkonium_chloride

Post Reply Post Reply
Just a little bit of dish soap in a sink full of water for me! I know that won't damage my equipment...or me!
As always, YMMV! You do not have to agree or disagree, I am not a professional so my mental meanderings are simply recollections of things from my own life.

PRS1 - Auto - A-Flex x2 - 12.50 - 20 - Humid x2 - Swift FX
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi again SleepyGreg, Soap and warm water is what I use but I don't do it everyday. I try to avoid soaps with alkahol or antibacterial agents in them. There is a solution called Control III that I have used and that's good too. You just put a little bit of that in warm water and you can get it from some of the suppliers on the list here on the forum.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Greg,

If you read the manufacturer's recommendation they recommend avoiding anything with perfumes, antimicrobial components, etc. Many people have commented on what they use in various discussions on this forum over time. Mild soap and water are favorites, check the vendors on the list for some CPAP specific wipes and cleaning concentrates (I've had real good luck but they're expensive), vineagar and water, Control III, et al.

Does it hurt the mask? Most mask material is silicon rubber which is fairly impervious to most common chemicals. If you see the mask starting to turn cloudy or brown, or crack or dry, I'd switch to something else.

Does it hurt your face? The issue may not be the mask but your skin. If you develop irritation, sores, etc., I's switch to something else.

Does it smell? When you're pumping air straight into your nose even minor smells can be very irritating.

I've switched to unscented, uncolored baby wipes and baby shampoo for my cleaning. They seem to work great and are fairly cheap at my local grocery store.

Whatever works for you! I do clean my mask daily to remove facial oils and most other stuff weekly.

Post Reply Post Reply
Lol. Anyone want to buy an unused pack of Antibacterial wipes? <grins>

I dont think I will even try them after all that....

Thanks, everyone for all your assistance, Ill stick with the soap and water alternative I think.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  cleaning CPAP tube sleepingbetterinFl 6 226 03-14-2024, 10:34 AM
Last Post: apnea505
  [Equipment] ResMed Airtouch F20 Cushion cleaning with drool problems. Funkmonkey 2 172 03-05-2024, 04:08 PM
Last Post: Funkmonkey
Money cleaning thread? TinyBubbles 19 7,798 02-27-2024, 10:57 AM
Last Post: Frankiboy
  One-Piece Water Chamber Cleaning Davebr60 0 184 02-26-2024, 11:12 PM
Last Post: Davebr60
  Cleaning CPAP & AirTouch F20 Mask PoutinePrincess 2 345 02-10-2024, 11:14 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Using DreamWisp Nasal Mask With ResMed AirSense 11 Avign0n323 2 342 01-31-2024, 01:17 PM
Last Post: Avign0n323
  Using cleaning brushes in heated tubing TiredTom111 9 611 01-29-2024, 08:30 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.