Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: ResMed AirCurve10 VAuto
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: HumidAir and SlimLine Hose
CPAP Pressure: MaxI 13.6 | MinE 5.2 | PS 4.4
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: Diagnosed Nov 2011. Conquered aerophagia.

Sex: Male

RE: Data Based Cleaning Schedule
(07-15-2014 09:08 PM)diamaunt Wrote:  I was kinda surprised, and/or, the fact I'd been using both a plain and hypo filter at the same time had been helping Smile

You used two filters? I didn't know you could do that on a S9.

Sleepster
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
07-15-2014 10:55 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
diamaunt Offline

Members-b

Machine: S9 VPAP Auto 36006
Mask Make & Model: mirage quattro/pilairo q
Humidifier: none
CPAP Pressure: 9-20ish
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments:

(07-15-2014 10:53 PM)Sleepster Wrote:  I think there was a residue of a lubricant in that PRS1 that had gotten distributed throughout not only the air path, but also outside of it. A very fine dust had been attracted to it everywhere inside the air path and it seems it turned rancid. Outside the air path it was just greasy, as opposed to inside the air path where it was both greasy and dusty. Stinky, too. I started noticing that odor within the first month, which was December 2011.

all i have to say about that is "ick"

glad you got it clean, and maybe reseating the various plugs and wires will make it quit doing whatever intermittent thing I seem to remember you saying it was doing.
07-15-2014 11:24 PM
Sleepster Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

(07-15-2014 11:24 PM)diamaunt Wrote:  glad you got it clean, and maybe reseating the various plugs and wires will make it quit doing whatever intermittent thing I seem to remember you saying it was doing.

I wish there were some way to read the error code. I suspect the blower motor overheats and triggers a shut down. That's just a WAG because the other day when I let it run to air out I felt warm air coming out of it.

I suppose I could take the good machine and swap out parts but that ain't gonna happen. It's not broke, so I'm not going to fix it!

Sleepster
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
07-16-2014 01:03 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
englandsf Offline

Members

Machine: Resmed S9 Autoset
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: AirFit P10 Large pillow
Humidifier: Resmed H5i with Climate Control Hose
CPAP Pressure: 10-20

Other Comments:

My S9/H5i is six weeks old. I use only distilled water, soap and water wash every Sunday (same time as I wash headgear and hose) and vinegar wash first weekend of the month. Seems to work for me. New tank every six months but trying to make it last a year. Upgrading to dishwasher safe version at first chance too.
07-16-2014 09:36 AM
andersonsta Offline

Members

Machine: ResMed S9 36005A
Mask Make & Model: resmed mirage quattro
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 12-17

Other Comments:

Sex: Undisclosed
(07-15-2014 10:27 PM)PaytonA Wrote:  
(07-15-2014 07:40 PM)andersonsta Wrote:  While I have found it both entertaining and informative in some ways, I still haven't seen anything to help me decide on a cleaning schedule. So let me pose the question differently. If one uses only distilled water in the tank, what is the purpose of cleaning the water tank?

I am sorry that I got off subject. I thought that you would have noticed that the cleaning schedule for the humidifier tank is very much an individual decision and varies a whole lot. I think that if you need to set a schedule Sleepster's suggestion makes sense. Cleaning it every weekend would be easy to remember and I think that there is no such thing as cleaning it too often. One thing to remember is, if you want to use vinegar as some people do, one needs to do so carefully since vinegar is slightly acidic.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I do know that different people follow a wide range of schedules. What I would like to get to is some way of making a decision other than it just feels right to me. Just choosing a frequency that I like may, if I clean it more frequently than necessary, lead me to waste a lot of time cleaning the tank. If I clean it less frequently than necessary, I may (or may not, I really don't know) suffer some serious health problem.

Does anybody know of any documented cases where someone became ill or suffered some other health problem that could be demonstrated to be caused by or aggravated by the fact that they did not clean their tank often enough? If you do, a link or other reference to the relevant documentation would be much appreciated.
07-16-2014 05:17 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
PaytonA Offline
Wiki Editor
Monitors

Machine: ResMed S9 VPAP Auto
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: H5i(distilled-top up)
CPAP Pressure: VAuto MinE14.0 MaxI 20.6 PS4.0

Other Comments:

I do not know how to advise you. People do so many different things for so many different reasons. Many of the reasons are personal rather than necessarily scientific. My feeling about this is, if it feels good, clean it. I personally use distilled water, I do not dump leftover water in the morning, and I clean the tank seldom. I have not had any respiratory infections for the last several; years-maybe since I started PAPing. I have not seen any studies done on this.

Best Regards,

PaytonA
07-16-2014 06:59 PM
Sleepster Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

(07-16-2014 05:17 PM)andersonsta Wrote:  Does anybody know of any documented cases where someone became ill or suffered some other health problem that could be demonstrated to be caused by or aggravated by the fact that they did not clean their tank often enough?

I haven't, and I doubt I ever will. How often you need to clean it depends on how dirty it gets and the cleanliness standards you set for yourself.

It's like bathing.

Sleepster
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

07-16-2014 07:28 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
diamaunt Offline

Members-b

Machine: S9 VPAP Auto 36006
Mask Make & Model: mirage quattro/pilairo q
CPAP Pressure: 9-20ish

Other Comments:

(07-16-2014 01:03 AM)Sleepster Wrote:  
(07-15-2014 11:24 PM)diamaunt Wrote:  glad you got it clean, and maybe reseating the various plugs and wires will make it quit doing whatever intermittent thing I seem to remember you saying it was doing.

I wish there were some way to read the error code. I suspect the blower motor overheats and triggers a shut down. That's just a WAG because the other day when I let it run to air out I felt warm air coming out of it.

I suppose I could take the good machine and swap out parts but that ain't gonna happen. It's not broke, so I'm not going to fix it!

are there .004 files on your card?

I came across a thread on *cough* another forum *cough* today about someone who's 450 or 550 was shutting off in the middle of the night, and he'd gotten error codes out of a .004 file, he said.
07-16-2014 10:46 PM
archangle Offline
Wiki Editor
Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Swift FX
Humidifier: ResMed S9 H5i
CPAP Pressure: 16-20
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments: Happy PAPper

Sex: Undisclosed

(07-16-2014 10:46 PM)diamaunt Wrote:  *cough* another forum *cough*

Maybe we should refer to that site as "cpapcough." Bigwink

Get the free SleepyHead software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
07-17-2014 10:15 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
SuperSleeper Offline

Administrators

Machine: PR System One REMstar Auto (DS560)
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Swift II
CPAP Pressure: 12.5 - 18.5 cmH20 (auto range)

Other Comments: Have diabetes Type II

(07-17-2014 10:15 AM)archangle Wrote:  Maybe we should refer to that site as "cpapcough." Bigwink

Some refer to that site as "the-cpap-forum-where-some-good-things-are-posted-but-the-good-stuff-is-often-clouded-by-unruly-noise-and-negativity-since-nearly-anyone-can-post-anything-they-want-with-impunity-and-a-small-group-of-idiotic-and-narcissistic-regular-members-treat-newbies-and-other-members-like-dirt-and-carry-on-like-children-fighting-in-a-sandbox-and-no-one-seems-to-do-much-about-it"...

But I personally think that's too long of a name. Accurate, yes. But just too darn long. Whistle

So yeah, the "cpapcough" forum is much more concise name. Cough, cough... Cold

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

07-17-2014 11:18 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Cleaning Dream wear mask Judy1843 3 176 12-02-2016 07:13 PM
Last Post: cate1898
  Cleaning Climate-control tube on ResMed Air Sense 10 GL Bishop 18 11,245 11-07-2016 03:31 PM
Last Post: Jonesie
  Water in hose after cleaning... JustMac 3 356 10-30-2016 06:51 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  CPAP cleaning system Tommy C 97 62,669 10-20-2016 05:35 PM
Last Post: PaytonA
  SoClean CPAP cleaning gizmo FormerFed 10 1,110 10-05-2016 03:37 AM
Last Post: archangle
  Question about cleaning/drying air tube RB73 16 1,066 09-25-2016 02:46 PM
Last Post: hegel
  Sleepyhead data vs. Doctor's data Daisylouu 8 1,398 09-01-2016 06:10 PM
Last Post: eseedhouse