Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Data Based Cleaning Schedule
RE: Data Based Cleaning Schedule
I use tap water and rinse out the (ResMed) tank in the morning and let dry. Buy doing that I do wonder how long the plastic hinges that hold it together will last?

What is the point to boiling the water? I can see that will kill bugs in the water and concentrate the impurities but as the moisture in the air will leave leave the bugs and impurities behind I do not see a point to boiling?

If anything the higher concentration of impurities could cause more harm to the tank?
Post Reply Post Reply
If I were camping or something and had to use spring water or well water I might boil it as a precaution. I wouldn't boil it too long, though, because as you said it'll just concentrate the minerals.

There's this spring water that we used to drink as children all the time. Now when we return to that area to go camping we drink that same water. My sister calls it the diarrhea water. Too-funny

The use of tap water within Neti pots in one location in Louisiana in 2011 led to two deaths due to a harmful parasite that infected the brain of the victims. Even though the same problem has never been reported with the use of a CPAP machine, it's a concern for some people. There was a case reported in 2009 of a woman in North Carolina getting an inflammatory disease of the lungs from the use of contaminated well water in her CPAP machine.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-12-2014, 05:30 PM)justMongo Wrote: What is your tank made of? Highly pure water is highly reactive with metals.

Actually, highly pure water (18 Mega-Ohm) is actually an electrical insulator. I've been involved in high energy research where a large 2 meter coaxial charge pulse line used water as an insulator. It carried a 2 Mega-Volt, 2 Mega-Ampere pulse to an Xray diode.

Out of total curiosity, how is highly pure water more reactive to metals than less pure water?

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-12-2014, 06:39 PM)Sleepster Wrote:
(07-12-2014, 04:33 PM)justMongo Wrote: So, indeed I'd have a tough time pushing air back up the hose.

Right. The purpose of the mask vent is to keep the hose purged of exhaled air.

The purpose of the mask vent is to keep the System purged of exhaled air. Hose and Mask both.

Best Regards,

PaytonA.

Admin Note:

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-12-2014, 08:54 PM)PaytonA Wrote: Out of total curiosity, how is highly pure water more reactive to metals than less pure water?

The water is so pure it will draw the metal into solution. I can't explain the chemistry, something to do with ion attraction I think. Brass plumbing is a no-no, for example. The best thing to use is the proper type of plastic.

But we're talking water that's a lot more pure than anything you're going to find outside of a laboratory or perhaps manufacturing.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-12-2014, 08:58 PM)PaytonA Wrote: The purpose of the mask vent is to keep the System purged of exhaled air. Hose and Mask both.

In the place it's located it can't do a very good job of keeping that little bit of air in the mask purged of CO2. A fresh supply of air is always right behind it though, coming through the hose and out the vent.
Sleepster

Post Reply Post Reply
(07-12-2014, 11:15 PM)Sleepster Wrote:
(07-12-2014, 08:54 PM)PaytonA Wrote: Out of total curiosity, how is highly pure water more reactive to metals than less pure water?

The water is so pure it will draw the metal into solution. I can't explain the chemistry, something to do with ion attraction I think. Brass plumbing is a no-no, for example. The best thing to use is the proper type of plastic.

But we're talking water that's a lot more pure than anything you're going to find outside of a laboratory or perhaps manufacturing.

You've got the basics. BTW -- that photo I posted in this thread is a 4 terra-Watt Flash Xray that uses high purity water in the 2 meter diameter coaxial charge line as an insulator. High purity water is an insulator. Water is a highly polar molecule that has a high dielectric constant. Water becomes a conductor due to dissolved ions. We are standing in the target chamber. The machine s extends back many meters where a capacitor bank is charged in parallel. It's fired by triggering spark gap switches to erect the Marx generator to 2 Mega-Volts. Faces redacted for privacy. The photo does not exist since photography is forbidden in the area.

(07-12-2014, 11:18 PM)Sleepster Wrote: In the place it's located it can't do a very good job of keeping that little bit of air in the mask purged of CO2. A fresh supply of air is always right behind it though, coming through the hose and out the vent.
Huh?Huh
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
In the place where the vent is located. It's too far upstream to keep the little bit of air that's in the mask purged of CO2.

There's such a small amount of air in the mask that it's not necessary to keep it purged.

When you exhale you push your exhaled air into the mask and into part of the hose. A stream of fresh air is always coming from the CPAP machine and it pushes the exhaled air out the vent holes. But that's exhaled air that was in the hose, not in the mask.
Sleepster

Post Reply Post Reply
(07-13-2014, 01:05 AM)Sleepster Wrote: In the place where the vent is located. It's too far upstream to keep the little bit of air that's in the mask purged of CO2.

There's such a small amount of air in the mask that it's not necessary to keep it purged.

When you exhale you push your exhaled air into the mask and into part of the hose. A stream of fresh air is always coming from the CPAP machine and it pushes the exhaled air out the vent holes. But that's exhaled air that was in the hose, not in the mask.

likely varies with mask, the one I use has the vents at the top of the mask and air supply towards the bottom. no place for the co2 to hide.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-12-2014, 11:18 PM)Sleepster Wrote:
(07-12-2014, 08:58 PM)PaytonA Wrote: The purpose of the mask vent is to keep the System purged of exhaled air. Hose and Mask both.

In the place it's located it can't do a very good job of keeping that little bit of air in the mask purged of CO2. A fresh supply of air is always right behind it though, coming through the hose and out the vent.

For your nasal pillows, there is probably not enough volume in the mask to worry about. Other masks are not the same.

Admin Note:

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  cleaning CPAP tube sleepingbetterinFl 6 222 03-14-2024, 10:34 AM
Last Post: apnea505
  [Equipment] ResMed Airtouch F20 Cushion cleaning with drool problems. Funkmonkey 2 169 03-05-2024, 04:08 PM
Last Post: Funkmonkey
Money cleaning thread? TinyBubbles 19 7,795 02-27-2024, 10:57 AM
Last Post: Frankiboy
  One-Piece Water Chamber Cleaning Davebr60 0 183 02-26-2024, 11:12 PM
Last Post: Davebr60
  Do you think I should increase my pressure based on this OSCAR data? mallowsweet 22 1,268 02-25-2024, 08:56 AM
Last Post: mallowsweet
  Cleaning CPAP & AirTouch F20 Mask PoutinePrincess 2 343 02-10-2024, 11:14 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Using cleaning brushes in heated tubing TiredTom111 9 607 01-29-2024, 08:30 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.