Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Data Based Cleaning Schedule
RE: Data Based Cleaning Schedule
(07-15-2014, 07:40 PM)andersonsta Wrote: While I have found it both entertaining and informative in some ways, I still haven't seen anything to help me decide on a cleaning schedule. So let me pose the question differently. If one uses only distilled water in the tank, what is the purpose of cleaning the water tank?

lawyers.

clean it, don't clean it, whatever makes you happy, if you go to pour water in and you see an emergent civilization that's grown up from slime that's somehow taken root in there, perhaps you should consider cleaning more often. *shrugs*
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-15-2014, 07:40 PM)andersonsta Wrote: If one uses only distilled water in the tank, what is the purpose of cleaning the water tank?
I disinfect, wash and dry the tank weekly just to be sure there is nothing living in there.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-15-2014, 07:40 PM)andersonsta Wrote: While I have found it both entertaining and informative in some ways, I still haven't seen anything to help me decide on a cleaning schedule. So let me pose the question differently. If one uses only distilled water in the tank, what is the purpose of cleaning the water tank?

Download your data weekly so it doesn't get lost, so using that as your cleaning schedule seems to be about average for forum members.

Water in the tank has air passed over it so it will be exposed to whatever is in the air. I recommend rinsing and emptying daily, and you can add it to your weekly cleaning schedule if your like.

I haven't washed my gear in awhile. Ever since I took my old CPAP apart and saw how grody it was inside I seem to have lost interest in washing the hose or mask. But I'll get around to it. Soon.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-15-2014, 05:57 PM)diamaunt Wrote: another minor +1 for resmed on the list of why I prefer them. nothing major, just little things like that. though I do think the top exit for the hose from the PR humidifier is better.

It seems the S9 tanks are better designed and built. I like the way the entire bottom portion is a metal tub.

I'm new to the S9 and have two different tanks. One has an easy-to-remove cover and the other has a hard-to-remove cover. Are these the only two types? Is the one with the easy-to-remove cover also the one they refer to as being dishwasher safe?

They both appear to me to made of the same materials.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-15-2014, 08:47 PM)Sleepster Wrote: I'm new to the S9 and have two different tanks. One has an easy-to-remove cover and the other has a hard-to-remove cover. Are these the only two types? Is the one with the easy-to-remove cover also the one they refer to as being dishwasher safe?

there's just the two, the one piece unit was the first one, and the take apart one came later.

36802 standard water tub, replaced by
36800 cleanable water tub.

the original can be cleaned, it's just more of a chore... hence some folks suggestions of a little salt and vinegar, or salt and alcohol and swish around.

the original model wasn't meant to be taken apart, of course, if you pull hard enough Big Grin
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-15-2014, 08:38 PM)Sleepster Wrote: I haven't washed my gear in awhile. Ever since I took my old CPAP apart and saw how grody it was inside I seem to have lost interest in washing the hose or mask.

I imagine that varies with the environment it's in too... I recently pulled apart an elite I'd used for several years, and it was clean as a whistle inside... tiny bit of dust on some of the sound deadening foam. I was kinda surprised, and/or, the fact I'd been using both a plain and hypo filter at the same time had been helping Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-15-2014, 05:12 PM)Sleepster Wrote: When we had a deionized water supply installed where I work they did all the plumbing in plastic. Brass faucet parts will dissolve in that water and it's very far from UHPW.

Plastic piping and valves had nothing to do with cost, right? They could have used stainless piping and valves or titanium piping and valves but they would not do that because it costs more than plastic just like brass does.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply

I am sorry that I got off subject. I thought that you would have noticed that the cleaning schedule for the humidifier tank is very much an individual decision and varies a whole lot. I think that if you need to set a schedule Sleepster's suggestion makes sense. Cleaning it every weekend would be easy to remember and I think that there is no such thing as cleaning it too often. One thing to remember is, if you want to use vinegar as some people do, one needs to do so carefully since vinegar is slightly acidic.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-15-2014, 10:16 PM)PaytonA Wrote: Plastic piping and valves had nothing to do with cost, right? They could have used stainless piping and valves or titanium piping and valves but they would not do that because it costs more than plastic just like brass does.

They even used plastic plumbing fixtures. We were told that the water was not supposed to be in contact with any metal.

The other day I was told a similar thing about brass in RO plumbing fixtures.

The cleaner the water the greater its affinity for metal. Of course, all of this is just what I heard from multiple and what I consider to be reliable sources. It could all be wrong. Big Grin
Sleepster

Post Reply Post Reply
(07-15-2014, 09:08 PM)diamaunt Wrote: I imagine that varies with the environment it's in too... I recently pulled apart an elite I'd used for several years, and it was clean as a whistle inside... tiny bit of dust on some of the sound deadening foam.

I rarely took my CPAP out of my home, and we have a large HEPA filter in our bedroom. I also kept the filters changed.

I think there was a residue of a lubricant in that PRS1 that had gotten distributed throughout not only the air path, but also outside of it. A very fine dust had been attracted to it everywhere inside the air path and it seems it turned rancid. Outside the air path it was just greasy, as opposed to inside the air path where it was both greasy and dusty. Stinky, too. I started noticing that odor within the first month, which was December 2011.
Sleepster

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  cleaning CPAP tube sleepingbetterinFl 6 222 03-14-2024, 10:34 AM
Last Post: apnea505
  [Equipment] ResMed Airtouch F20 Cushion cleaning with drool problems. Funkmonkey 2 169 03-05-2024, 04:08 PM
Last Post: Funkmonkey
Money cleaning thread? TinyBubbles 19 7,795 02-27-2024, 10:57 AM
Last Post: Frankiboy
  One-Piece Water Chamber Cleaning Davebr60 0 183 02-26-2024, 11:12 PM
Last Post: Davebr60
  Do you think I should increase my pressure based on this OSCAR data? mallowsweet 22 1,270 02-25-2024, 08:56 AM
Last Post: mallowsweet
  Cleaning CPAP & AirTouch F20 Mask PoutinePrincess 2 343 02-10-2024, 11:14 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Using cleaning brushes in heated tubing TiredTom111 9 607 01-29-2024, 08:30 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.