Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Treatment] How is CPAP data used to get better sleep and reduce apneas
RE: How is CPAP data used to get better sleep and reduce apneas
Don't be surprised if your sleep doc doesn't seem to be especially interested in your data. Most of them are not. As others have said, keep your initial plea short and courteous, but also be persistent. Save the detailed info in case they say no.

They may mention something about insurance or medicare but that is really between you and your DME. All you need from the doctor is the RX. By the way, the only person who has looked at my data is the DME, not the doctor. I think many others on this forum have experienced the same.

In my opinion, the biggest/best reason to get the Autoset is it's ability to adjust pressure to fit your breathing needs. If you are having problems breathing, it jacks up the pressure until it opens your pipes. If you are sleeping/breathing peacefully, it backs off to a more comfortable pressure.
Post Reply Post Reply
At the time of my diagnosis, the sleep doc out right refused my polite request for a machine that recorded full efficacy data with a curt (and misleading): "You don't need a data machine because you'll feel better in two weeks."

I was able to procure an S9 AutoSet at the time by doing a lot of DME shopping before taking delivery of my first machine. I literally spent about 2 weeks calling various DMEs that were in-network before finding one that simply sets all their patients up with a choice of the S9 AutoSet or the PR System One Auto CPAP.

All it takes to get an Auto or a full efficacy data CPAP instead of a brick is a cooperative DME. And there are some out there. But it can take a lot of time to find one.
Post Reply Post Reply
To me the reason to have a data compatible machine is so that YOU can see what has happened even if you do not understand why (someone else on here probably will). I have just made a post before seeing yours which is simply about the effect a change of pillow made to me last night. Without data it would just have been a bad night, With data the pillow change appears to have trebled my AHI and nearly doubled my pressure requirements for the period I used it. It enables YOU to discover what works or does not work to give you a better nights sleep.

Gerry
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-23-2014, 11:37 AM)plasticplumber Wrote: To me the reason to have a data compatible machine is so that YOU can see what has happened even if you do not understand why (someone else on here probably will). I have just made a post before seeing yours which is simply about the effect a change of pillow made to me last night. Without data it would just have been a bad night, With data the pillow change appears to have trebled my AHI and nearly doubled my pressure requirements for the period I used it. It enables YOU to discover what works or does not work to give you a better nights sleep.

Gerry

While I agree with you regarding being able to watch your data, especially when making a change of any kind, remember that it takes a little bit of time to adjust to the change, whether a new pillow, new sheets, sleeping with the light on, light off, etc. If your pressure was within the acceptable range, you might want to keep trying your pillow for a week or two to see what happens. I know you said you felt like poop this morning but maybe that is because you slept wrong, had a bad dream, or any number of other reasons. As always, you don't have to try your pillow again but just in case it was unrelated to your pillow, you may want to give it another try. YMMV
Post Reply Post Reply
Lots of great and varied replies. So, how much of this will you remember at the doc's office? Me, I'd print this page out to use as one of my 'last shots' if for any reason the conversation isn't going well. I do agree that it's in the Doc's own best interests to give you what you ask for, again, no harm to him/her - but the potential if he says 'no' could be not so good...
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
My prescription doesn't say an exact machine/model -- just the pressure settings (settings imply APAP) / humidifier / masks for life.

However, I specifically requested an S9 AutoSet from the supplier that the doc recommended I use (a local outfit) and the supplier delivered the AutoSet.
Post Reply Post Reply
The Doctor signed the RX for S9 Auto-Set and on the same day I went to the new DME and received the AutoSet. And I'm looking at sleep data this morning. The new DME made all the difference in the world. The first DME they hooked me up with wanted me to pay them $325 cash extra for an Auto Set.
BTW, the Resmed Airfit P10 mask works great.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-26-2014, 09:17 AM)chuck taylor Wrote: The Doctor signed the RX for S9 Auto-Set and on the same day I went to the new DME and received the AutoSet. And I'm looking at sleep data this morning. The new DME made all the difference in the world. The first DME they hooked me up with wanted me to pay them $325 cash extra for an Auto Set.
BTW, the Resmed Airfit P10 mask works great.

Thanks for reporting back Chuck.... I'm glad this worked out for you.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Chuck,
Sounds like you are off to a good start, a new, (more cooperative,) DME, a mask you like, and a new S9Autoset.
CONGRATULATIONS.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  please help me make sense of my central apneas p4ncaketim 26 569 3 hours ago
Last Post: p4ncaketim
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 372 Yesterday, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  Trying to Reduce CA Events chrotteg 10 351 03-26-2024, 11:08 PM
Last Post: chrotteg
Question [Diagnosis] First post-CPAP visit to Sleep Doc - What to talk about? FlyAU98 6 187 03-23-2024, 09:08 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Needing help fixing my sleep with cpap nunogarcia 2 160 03-22-2024, 09:04 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Fixing (CPAP-induced?) central apneas Franko39 17 859 03-21-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: Franko39
  New to CPAP Titration Study and OSCAR Data Help Needed slowmoto 2 145 03-20-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: slowmoto

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.